The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Any new information or development on this G adapter? Someone must be using the RJ adapter by now. 55 adapters have been sold so far.
I have the RJ adapter. I'm just waiting for my Contax G 45/2 and 90/2.8 lenses to arrive. As soon as they do, I'll post some results. Or, someone else will beat me to the punch. :mad:

In the meantime, some results and user feedback about the 45/2 on a GF1 (with the RJ adapter) have been posted in a thread on the Alternative Gear & Lenses forum at FredMiranda.com.

slau

Thank you, Jonathan. How tight or loose is the small focusing wheel? The small wheel is my major concern and why I am still waiting on the side line. I still have my favorite Contax G1 & three lenses.

JonasYip

I just got the RJ adapter, just because I still had a G 45 Planar lying around. I have no sample images as I've mostly just been pointing it at things around the house to try the focus wheel out.

Conclusion: it works, but kind of a pain. That is, I won't be shooting moving objects with this setup. First, given where the AF screw is, the wheel is in an awkward placen. So I need to modify your hand position to get to it. In that regard, it looks like Monza's geared version which protrudes a bit might work better. The lens sure *looks* cool on the EP1 though.

Oh, the other problem is... I can't seem to get the lens back off the adapter. There's a lens release button, but it seems that since the AF wheel engages with the AF screw and there's no provision for releasing that I can't get the bayonet to turn. Perhaps I'll figure it out...

Realistically, I'll be using my M-mount lenses in that range (I have 35, 40 and 50) as focusing is much easier, but I had to get one of these to try out my G45...

- j

apicius9

I have followed this thread with great interest. Having been born and grown up within 3 miles of the Leitz headquarter in Wetzlar, I was slightly biased and never paid much attention to Zeiss lenses. But I love the character of most of the shots with Zeiss glass that I have seen here at getdpi and would love to play with one. I am hesitating about the Contax mounts because I'm not sure I have the patience to fiddle around with the small wheels on the adapters. Is there any other recommended Zeiss lens in the 40-60mm range out there that does not cost an arm and a leg and can be brought to work on my G1? I have adapters for c-mount, Leica R & M39, Canon FD but I assume they would not help me much here... Thanks for any suggestions, and if that here is not the right place, please by PM.

Thanks,

Stefan

slau

If you can find an old Contax Zeiss 50f1.4, you should not have to pay too much money for it. It is not the best Zeiss lens, but it works well and relatively inexpensive and fast. You can buy a C/Y adpater to M 4/3 and use the manual focus ring on the lens barrel. I am very biased toward Zeiss optics :). I have tried my Contax Zeiss 28f2.8 on my GH1 and was very disappointed in the image quality.

Last edited:

slau

I just got the RJ adapter, just because I still had a G 45 Planar lying around. I have no sample images as I've mostly just been pointing it at things around the house to try the focus wheel out.

Conclusion: it works, but kind of a pain. That is, I won't be shooting moving objects with this setup. First, given where the AF screw is, the wheel is in an awkward placen. So I need to modify your hand position to get to it. In that regard, it looks like Monza's geared version which protrudes a bit might work better. The lens sure *looks* cool on the EP1 though.

Oh, the other problem is... I can't seem to get the lens back off the adapter. There's a lens release button, but it seems that since the AF wheel engages with the AF screw and there's no provision for releasing that I can't get the bayonet to turn. Perhaps I'll figure it out...

Realistically, I'll be using my M-mount lenses in that range (I have 35, 40 and 50) as focusing is much easier, but I had to get one of these to try out my G45...

- j

Jonas, thank you for your mini review. The focusing wheel is my major concern. Well, we will see what is going to develop later. Btw, there is a section in RJ's eBay site to tech you how to take the lens off the adapter if you have problem taking off the lens. This must be a common problem with that adapter. Hope RJ will improve the adapter soon.

JonasYip

Just to follow up on removing the adapter: I did manage to remove it finally... just need to force it. It's not something I would want to do often, or in the field if I was hoping to swap the lens between a Contax G2 and a micro 4/3 body. I often do carry an M-mount body and a micro 4/3 body and being able to share lenses is great.

j

slau

Any latest development on this G adapter or any new user wants to share his/her experience?

Btw, just received an email from RJ Finance that they have three new adapters available now. Also, they will be selling '2nd generation' adapters in January, whatever it means.

I have been very happy about my old Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2 with my M adapter on GH1. May be I will just wait until a better G adapter comes out as I am mostly interested in using my G 40 lens, which performs about the same as of the Minolta lens or a touch better, pending a side-by-side comparison.

K

kvarnelis

I posted about this at dpreview, but it seems like that thread has lost its readers for this one.

I bought a jinfinance adapter and received it last week.

In general, I'm happy with my adapter. For $116 (the cost of the adapter+expedited shipping), I am able to use most of my Contax lenses.

The biggest obstacle is focus and lens shake. The new firmware update has done a lot to correct the initial frustration I had.

Focus takes a while to get used to because it's in an awkward position.

When I have the focus dialed in and the shutter speed is high enough, the sharpness can be good. It's not the super crisp sharpness of the Contax on its original body and, since the adapter doesn't work with the two biogons, especially the 28 which for my money is the best lens I've ever used, some good friends are missing. Still, I now have prime equivalents of 40 (my Panasonic 20), 70, 90, and 180mm.

BTW, my sense is that it's crucial to go a bit faster than 1/focal length in order to ensure blur-free shots.

The lenses ARE difficult to get off until you realize that the ring to turn is NOT the black on the G lens but rather its the metal ring one step closer to the aperture. It needs a gentle twist and then the lens comes out, but it's definitely counterintuitive at first.

Some early shots...
35mm Planar

45mm Planar

Howard

kvarnelis,
Those photos that you posted are some of the largest I have seen on this website. Are they 100% blowups? When the shutter speed is appropriately maintained, do you see a significant sharpness difference with the 45mm and 90mm lenses with the adapter on a m4/3 camera vs what it is with the Contax G1 or Contax G2? I was hoping to use my 45 CZ lens for portraits and the 90mm CZ lens as a telephone. On my Contax G2 these lenses are extraordinarily sharp.

Jonas

kvarnelis,
At what aperture opening are the 45mm images taken?

(I think you should post smaller images, say about 800 pixels on the long side, then ad crops to make a point in cases like this)

thank you,

/Jonas

K

kvarnelis

Sorry if they're too large. They are at 100% size, linked from my flickr site. We can try again next time, but too much fiddling would discourage me.

I do think that the Contax G2 was sharper. I've published a lot of photos with that set-up in books by a top art and architecture photographer without any questions (normally they would have expected medium format at least). Are they the miraculous images I got from the G2? No. Are they good. Yes. Am I happier than I've ever been with my Canon 5D rig? Yes. Is this a tiny camera, significantly smaller than the G2? Yes. Its not for my pocket, but its fine in my shoulder bag. I do get annoyed by the doubled focal length though. There's no way to go beyond that.

The 90mm does make a pretty wild telephoto. I highly recommend wireless flash adapters like the cactus v4 series with the 35 or the 45. I get great results that way.

For some reason, I suspect the 35 is not as sharp on this adapter as the 45 or the 90. I am not sure why. Maybe somebody else could explain.

Alas, I'm not sure what what aperture opening the 45mm images were taken. I'd guess somewhere between 5.6 and 8 since there wouldn't have been enough light for anything smaller.

Would I buy these lenses if I didn't have them? I don't know. Would I buy the GF-1 and the adapter if I had them? Yes. Will I buy Monza's adapter if the focus is easier or if it supports 21 or 28mm? Yes, of course.

M

mintra

I want one of these adaptors, I like the look of the Olympus pen, I love my g2 but I keep forgetting to get my films developed.

I can see the item listed from china on ebay from ginfinance, but what is this talk from monza any result yet, and how about some idea of cost and where to buy.

I think I can learn to manual focus

slau

I suspect that the G adapter is a bit more complex to make than what monza initially expects, and this probably is the reason for delay and lack of new information. Just speculating.

I noticed that RJ has reduced the price of their G adapter by $10. If I sit tight a bit more, the price may even come down more :). As I am pretty happy with my Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2, I am in big rush to buy any G adapter to use my G 45/2.8.

monza

No, not really more complex than anticipated. Currently fine tuning the gearing with a specialty gear manufacturer, should have more to report next week. :)

This adapter will cost more than the RJ adapter, as the gearing has rather pricey tooling. It's important to have smooth operation with minimal revolutions and just the right amount of effort...not too easy to turn, but not too difficult.

It will be well worth the effort, the 35, 45, and 90 are very well matched to micro 4/3 and all are exceptional glass. The 35-70 zoom will work as well, not a common lens but a nice range. Thanks for everyone's interest. :)

slau

Thank you monza. I will definitely check back next week for the news of your new adapter. It will be nice to have some idea of your price (i.e. ~ 2X or 3X price of RJ adapter?) and the very rough estimate of the delivery date of your adapter. One of these days I have to make a decision regarding the G adapter :).

K

kvarnelis

The firmware update has been a huge difference, making focus really easy on the GF-1. Even with jinfinance's adapter, I'm back to shooting contax prime with a small camera. I'm waiting for Monza's adapter as well as jinfinance's second adapter which should allow use of the fabled 28mm biogon (the best lens I've ever used).

Howard

Kvarnelis,

My favorite lenses was the 21mm because it was an incredibly sharp 21mm and had a wonderful perspective. I do not think I will like or use it as much when it is a 42mm. I think I will like to use 28mm at 56mm when an adapter is available for that lens. The 45mm at 90mm should make a fine portrait lens and the 90mm at 180mm should be a nice telephone lenses. I am looking forward to using my CZ lenses again.

Leica 77

Juat a few days ago, a Contax G to MFT adapter finally reached my mailbox from RJ of Jinfance in Shanghai. I post three images showing Contax G lenses on my Lumix G1 (21mm Biogon, 28mm Biogon, and 45mm Planar). Snapshots taken with these lenses exceed my expectations in terms of color quality and sharpness. Kind regards, Leica 77.