The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

J

jungli

It's not so bad, Zeiss lenses are beautiful on m4/3, there are my babes:)

regards
jungli

Howard

Jungli,

The Camera looks great with the CZ lenses. Post some photos taken with the 45 and 90mm and give us your evaluation of the adapter with the small wheel.

Howard

slau

I cannot wait any more and just ordered the G adapter from RJ an hour ago. Price is good enough for me to try it out and will see how much I like the G lenses on the G1/GH1. If I really like the G lenses + G1/GH1, it is not a big deal to get another adapter, providing it is significantly better. I remember that I really like the G lenses but I am not sure how much it is better than the M-Rokkor 40f2. The last time i used my G lenses was 15+ years ago.

snowy

I've also recently received the RJ adapter and have been trying it out with my 45mm and 90mm G lenses. Prior to that I'd used the Leica M adaptor with a variety of Leica and Voigtlander lenses, and I have to say I prefer the higher contrast of the Zeiss lenses! Focussing with the little wheel hasn't been a problem at all for me. It's not quite as intuitive as reaching for the focussing ring on a Leica lens, but it's just as accurate and perfectly easy to do. The difference in contrast is striking - the Zeiss lenses really do give much richer colours which I prefer.

I'm using a Lumix G1, so no video unfortunately. Using manual focus lenses is a bit of a faff to be honest, so I can't see myself carrying a big bag of Leica lenses around all the time. But the kit lens accompanied by a Contax 90mm makes a nice small setup.

slau

Snowy, thank you for the encouraging first hand information. I have also tried my other M lenses on my G1/GH1. They are fine (not 'stunning') but way too big/heavy for the small body and using the M lenses defeats the purpose of getting a small form factor. That is why I like the M-Rokkor so much as it is small and also very decent in image quality. Now, I just have to wait for the G adapter to show up.

J

jungli

slau,

I had rokkor 40/2 leica M mount, it was beautiful lens on G1, it showed real 'culture' of m lenses on G1, Zeiss are different, the contrast is much stronger than m lenses, also color is more vivid and saturated, but the m lenses as rokkor-m 40/2 is more accurate and artistic, has the best things from analog times. Both are very very good.

When the G1 showed up wile ago, I tested it with FD lenses, PK lenses, AI-S lenses, AR, M43, there were no big differences, leica M lenses show me the way, and waited so long for contax G adapter, finally for me Contax G stays for long, I dont know what will show me 21 biogon, becouse it needs to 'shave' from piece of plastic, that I dont really wanna do now, better wait for new adapter.

I will try do some samples from Zeiss lenses soon.

regards
jungli

Howard

While the 28mm and 45 are equivalent to a 56mm and 90mm on the M4/3,respectively, my favorite 21mm biogon is equivalent to a 42mm -- almost the same as the 20mm 1.7 Panny. What I like about the 21mm on my Contax G2 is that it is 21mm not 42mm equivalent. While I would use the 28mm (56mm equivalent), the 20mm is totally integrated with my G with AF and at this point do think the 21mm Biogon will get any use with my G.

Howard

slau

I totally agree that the Panasonic 20f1.7 is tough to beat in terms of convenience to use, small size, AF, & image quality. I am impressed with this little lens and the contrast and color are not too far off when compared to my favorite Contax C/Y 35-70. Unless you are the one who is going after the 'absolute' pure image quality, any other lenses in the area of 20 mm have to be EXTREMELY outstanding before it will comes into my camera bag.

R

ReflectiaX

May I ask you where to buy monza's adapter? Should I send him a private message through this forum? I have several lenses for CONTAX G2 and would like to use them on E-P2.

J

jungli

Winter in Poland

Contax 45/2 Planar iso 100 f5.6 jpg little correction in showphoto...

and :)

regards
jungli

K

koji

Stephen, there is an another one on the market. See this >
http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=56

It seems to use double gears, probably can focus faster. But I have a bit of
reservation to use for G-Sonnar 90mm, since it is slightly heavy to focus
near object even using jinfinance adapter, which has a single smallish gear.
But you never know until you use it.

slau

Thank you for the information, koji. It is always good to see more competition and availability of G adapters.

I will try the RJ adapter first with my three G lenses (28, 45 & 90) and see how much I like them, in terms of IQ and convenience to operate. I expect the G lenses will be used mostly for landscape type of shots where the focusing speed is not critical. I still have to wait probably couple of weeks before I can get the adapter in my hands. Did I say that I am getting sick and tired of waiting :).

s.agar

Today I tried the 90mm ,45 mm and 35mm on the GF1.

90mm shines. It really does. Probably the best 90mm for the GF1. I had tried my Leica 90mm, but I like this one better (on GF1).

45mm is the best also in the 40-50mm range lenses that I have tried on the GF1.

35mm is better than my Summilux 35/1.4. Actually the Summilux is excellent on the Leica M8. But in GF1, the Contax 35/2, which is a decent lens only on the Contax G2, is superior to the Leica version on GF1. Whereas IMO, the Leica 35/2 sucks on the GF1.

About adaptors in general:

Contax to GF1 adapter (Fotodiox in my case) has some stiff areas while focusing, but gets better as you use the adapter. It still is a challange to use it.

I tried M42 lenses, Leica lenses, Nikon lenses and finally the Contax lenses on GF1. I think, unless you are a hobbyist trying to experiment, using adapters is stupid especially in the wide angle area. The camera has a 2X multiplier, and that makes all old WA lenses unusable as WA. 28mm becomes 56 mm. So what's the deal then?

I have Oly 17mm and Panasonic 20mm lenses. None of the old WA lenses can beat them. So forget about your old MF WA lenses, which are generally like 28/2.8, which you don't need in the GF1. The 20/1.7 Panasonic makes great photos, and with AF. It's also small in size. Oly 17/2.8 is also great if you need 35mm.

Because of design considerations of the film era, many excellent lenses of their times do not perform well on the GF1. I tried a few with great expectations, but the results were very unsatisfactory. (Nikkor 50/1.2, Summicron 34/2, and the list continues.). I didn't even bother to try the Contax 28mm, because even after shaving the extensions, I suspect that it will not be better than any of my Panasonic lenses anyway, and it will be a 56mm lens. Who needs that?

Therefore, unless you want to play with all your existing lenses, you don't need to buy the converters at all. Only in the 90mm case, the existing lens line up of Panasonic has no alternative with a F2 or 2.8, and therefore, with their excellent performance on the GF1, I can recommend the Contax 90/2.8 or the Leica 90/2 lenses.

On the WA side, you are better off by buying the expensive Panasonic (or for Olympus cameras, the Oly version) 7-14mm lens. These lenses are excellent..
There are no 7-14mm lenses from the past anyway that will give you this range even with an adapter.

To summarize, unless you need excellent tele lenses, don't waste your money on adapters. Having said that, I'm still in the precess of buying all existing adapters, because I 'm a hobbyist with a lens (and camera) collection, that I want to play with.

Have a good weekend,

Seyhun

M

mintra

Yes but if you already have a g2 with lenses and you buy a mft camera with a lens then an adaper is not a bad idea.

The kipon adaptor does have two gears and is $140 including shipping, I am tempted but will wait and see what monza has done.

Though I dont like the idea that the chinese (kipon etc) have taken over the world of manufacturing I never did forgive the Americans for stealing the plans for the X1

Meanwhile my russian jupiter lenses work well enough for me on my pen

T

tonyjuliano

The kipon adaptor does have two gears and is $140 including shipping, I am tempted but will wait and see what monza has done.
pen
Could someone share the info as to where to purchase this?

Anyone have any update on the "monza" version?

lattiboy

FYI, Amazon has the Fotodoix adapter for $79 with free shipping. This is a $20 price drop from yesterday. Yay competition!!!

I think I'm going to get the Fotodiox for now and then see reviews for the new, nice adapter that's 2x as expensive.

Also, I picked up a 45/2 and a 90/2.8 for $200..... total!!!! Jeez, this is going to be fun :)