The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

scho

I walked around the commons today to get some street snaps at the annual chili cook-off festival. Loosened up the Fotodiox adapter and tried again with the 35 f/2 on the GF1, but still a struggle to focus. My hit rate was only about 50% for this series. Looking forward to Robert's new adapter.

Leica 77

I walked around the commons today to get some street snaps at the annual chili cook-off festival. Loosened up the Fotodiox adapter and tried again with the 35 f/2 on the GF1, but still a struggle to focus. My hit rate was only about 50% for this series. Looking forward to Robert's new adapter.

Hi Carl,
Nice expressions on the ladies' faces! Best regards, Leica 77.

scho, I was down there too, with my Zorki-3M and J-8! Scanning the film right now. I couldn't stay long, the crowd was so damned huge I was getting the heebie-jeebies. And I kept bumping into my students.

If I'd seen a guy with an m4/3 camera with a Contax G lens grafted to it, I would have fallen down laughing. Such things are only real on the internet...:D

BTW, the Adult Outlet renovation went beautifully, didn't it? It used to be the ugliest storefront in town--now it's probably down to third or fourth place.

scho

scho, I was down there too, with my Zorki-3M and J-8! Scanning the film right now. I couldn't stay long, the crowd was so damned huge I was getting the heebie-jeebies. And I kept bumping into my students.

If I'd seen a guy with an m4/3 camera with a Contax G lens grafted to it, I would have fallen down laughing. Such things are only real on the internet...:D

BTW, the Adult Outlet renovation went beautifully, didn't it? It used to be the ugliest storefront in town--now it's probably down to third or fourth place.
I'm determined to get something to use for grafting those G lenses onto the GF1 that will focus smoothly. I know what you mean about the commons festival crowds. I can't take more than an hour of that without getting claustrophobic.

scho

Hi Karl,
It's a lovely image! Best regards, Leica 77.
Thank you Leica 77. I think they were saying something like "If those people only knew what we put in this chili." There were some bad heartburn cases down there today.

CVickery

Here's a few with the Kipon adapter and the 45/2 on the E-P1. The first 4 are processed in CaptureOne and cropped a bit. The flowers are ~ at MFD. The brick wall is the out of camera jpg, resized and sharpened a bit (I was mainly looking at the lack of distortion).

scho

Here's a few with the Kipon adapter and the 45/2 on the E-P1. The first 4 are processed in CaptureOne and cropped a bit. The flowers are ~ at MFD. The brick wall is the out of camera jpg, resized and sharpened a bit (I was mainly looking at the lack of distortion).
Beautiful images CVickery. The performance of the Contax G lenses on m43 continues to amaze me.

P

poffer

Hi All,

I joined your forum just to let you know there seems to be a new provider of Contax G to 4/3. I have absolutely no connection with the supplier (I am actually a long time Contax G user thinking of getting a digital body - same interest as yours, but from the other end of the lens :eek:)

This one got my interest, as it has a proper focussing ring :clap:
Here are a couple of videos - looks pretty good:
http://bdyoutube.com/profile/riaphoto/videos/

And here is the ebay listing number:

If anybody buys one - please let me know how it goes!

Cheers

Peter

Jonas

(...)
This one got my interest, as it has a proper focussing ring :clap:
Thank you Peter. Interesting. And for once somebody listens... no, perhaps not but I wished for a ring like that in post 147 of this thread.

If it works smoothly and doesn't brake down... great!

/Jonas

monza

Interesting. Our first design had a real focus ring, but not at the very back of the lens mount, but turned out too expensive to manufacture.

Z

zivk

The adapter is listed as sold on ebay and I couldn't find it anywhere else. As if only one existed in the world. The seller "lens-workshop" didn't have any. It does look good on the video - an answer to our prayers!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The adapter is listed as sold on ebay and I couldn't find it anywhere else. As if only one existed in the world. The seller "lens-workshop" didn't have any. It does look good on the video - an answer to our prayers!
Hard to believe it's disappeared so quickly but you're correct -- there are no more listed. I sent the seller a message asking if more would become available. When/if I receive a reply, I'll post it here.

P

poffer

Jonas,

I saw your other post - it was a large part of the reason I joined to let the members know. From a purely engineering perspective, a focusing ring should be at least as strong as the gear method, as load would be more evenly spread.

Looking at the videos, the mounting and dismounting seems to be very smooth. I am most interested to see if the adaptor could be mounted to the camera and then various lenses put on/off as needed.

Not taken the plunge on a digital body yet, I like the idea just not the price! It must have a viewfinder, so with that added to the cost of the body, both the GF-1 & E-P1 seem to be coming in around the £800 mark.....

best regards

Peter

P

poffer

Hmm,

Saw the other posts - only one.......Ooops, guess i should have bought it when I saw it....

P

slau

That one adapter seems to be almost as good as one can expect. Since they are speaking Chinese (Cantonese) in the background, I assume that they are sellers from Hong Kong. Hopefully it will be available soon after the Chinese New Year.

P

poffer

Monza,

Interesting. Our first design had a real focus ring, but not at the very back of the lens mount, but turned out too expensive to manufacture.
Not sure it would be too bad, as long as the ring is right at the back. Obviously that is not the best place for focus to be BUT, if it had the Contax type lever on the ring, it would be easy to use.

As far as market goes - you may be surprised, as they made a hell of a lot of cameras & lenses. My first G1 was numbered 18000, by current ones are both 87500. That means at least 70,000 - 90,000 G1s. Don't know for G2s. Must be at least one lens per camera as well as many others. Got to be 100,000 - 200,000 lenses. Most will have survived (very simple, very strong).
At 5% sales penetration, someone could shift 5,000 - 10,000 adaptors..... Provided it is easy to focus. Aperture stop-down for screen brightness would not be an issue, as these lenses are astonishingly sharp and could be used f2.0 - f5.6 no problem.

best regards Peter

Howard

I also sent an e-mail to the supplier of the focus ring adapter. I will report back if and when I hear from them.

Howard