The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

slau

What's up with these coming adapters? Are there any descriptions or images available, or even brief comments on how they work and what they will offer over the existing ones?

/Jonas
For me, my life is too short to wait for some unknown :). I have been happily using my RJ adapter with my G lenses for a few months now, including a trip to Cuba. It is not like there are no choices as last year any more.

E

EOSHD.com

Hello everyone. Great thread, have been following for a while now with great interest. Good luck with the adapter Monza.

I have my first G lens (the 45mm) on it's way now, and rather than wait for a better adapter I chose to go with a Kipon one, ordered yesterday. The seller says it has an improved updated larger gearing, I am not sure if this is the same thing as described above. Will the one coming out next week be an entirely new adapter?

My humble advice is not to wait to use these lenses, just go out and shoot. I'd happily sell the Kipon if Monza's adapter turns out well and is reasonably priced. I think if we're quick to catch onto new adapters coming onto the market, selling the old one would be relatively pain free as long as done soon.

Can't wait to use the adapter. I'll be using my lens for movies on the GH1 mostly.

S

skywalker

Will the one coming out next week be an entirely new adapter?

Hi,entirely new adapter with focus ring like aperture ring.

Leica 77

Lumix G1 + Contax G Carl Zeiss 45mm via RJ Adapter. I got used to using the RJ adapter and I am quite comfortable when I focus with it now. :)

monza

Very nice.

Finally have some geared adapters on the way, I'm crossing fingers that they have all the tolerances and dimensions correct. Teflon coatings should make things smooth-fitting.

Leica 77

Very nice.

Finally have some geared adapters on the way, I'm crossing fingers that they have all the tolerances and dimensions correct. Teflon coatings should make things smooth-fitting.
Hi monza,
Teflon coatings sound pretty nice. In the meantime, I post another image with an RJ adapter. Lumix G1 + Contax G Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm. Aperture @ f2.8. :)

Jonas

(...) In the meantime, I post another image with an RJ adapter. Lumix G1 + Contax G Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm. Aperture @ f2.8. :)[/IMG]
The Sonnar 90/2.8 is a wonderful lens. I really like the way it draws. There is a certain real to life level seldom seen. That is true for the Planar 45/2 as well. And your image is OK. :)

Cheers,

/Jonas

Jonas

What's up with these coming adapters? Are there any descriptions or images available, or even brief comments on how they work and what they will offer over the existing ones?
Lol, that was asking for too much I guess.

For me, my life is too short to wait for some unknown :). I have been happily using my RJ adapter with my G lenses for a few months now, including a trip to Cuba. It is not like there are no choices as last year any more.
You are right Stephen. There is no point in waiting. I enjoy my 45 and 90mm combo a lot, they are a wonderful complement to my other lenses with more or less odd personal views of the world.

/Jonas

A

alpine

Hi, this is my first post on this forum - so hello everyone - but I have read this topic for a few month now (since I have bought E-P1), because I wanted to get as much information about Contax G lenses as I could get. I know that Planar 45 and Sonnar 90 are superb lenses but I would like to know how do they perform in portrait frames? Thing is - I want mainly portrait lenses and I'm considering both SMC Takumar 50/1.4 or Planar 45/2. I know Planar is damn sharp but what about bokeh? There are more portrait examples on internet from Takumar but I'm not sure about it's coatings and age. Also size of the planar and how it looks on E-P1 makes me dreaming more about it. I haven't bought any lenses so any samples or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jonas

Hi, this is my first post on this forum - so hello everyone - but I have read this topic for a few month now (since I have bought E-P1), because I wanted to get as much information about Contax G lenses as I could get. I know that Planar 45 and Sonnar 90 are superb lenses but I would like to know how do they perform in portrait frames? Thing is - I want mainly portrait lenses and I'm considering both SMC Takumar 50/1.4 or Planar 45/2. I know Planar is damn sharp but what about bokeh? There are more portrait examples on internet from Takumar but I'm not sure about it's coatings and age. Also size of the planar and how it looks on E-P1 makes me dreaming more about it. I haven't bought any lenses so any samples or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
In my experience the Planar 45/2 and the Takumar (or any of the later reincarnations) are very different lenses.

The Planar is a modern high contrast lens with a resolution beating even the Zuiko 50/2 Macro or the Zuiko OM 50/2 Macro. The bokeh can be a bit rough wide open but from f/2.8 it does everything right.

The Pentax series of 50/1.4 lenses are truly soft wide open, sports quite some veiling flare and the background bokeh is worse than the foreground bokeh. There is also more, quite some actually, of defocus CA than with the Planar.

That said all these lenses can be used for portrait work (the 90 being a bit long to my taste but otherwise impeccable) if the user thinks about what he/she is doing.

Some say a portrait lens can be too sharp. I don't know where that opinion comes from, perhaps somebody liking a lens they have that is soft until stopped down. It is very easy to make an image softer in PP, getting lost details back is otoh impossible.

The Takumar you are thinking about is of course cheaper, just as it should be. The Planar 45/2 and the Sonnar 90/2.8 are both bargains in my opinion, also when including the more expensive adapter.

well, there you have my 2 cents,

/Jonas

A

alpine

Thank you Jonas for your "2 cents". Here in Poland where I live Takumars are quite popular and easy to find - opposite to Planars. From samples on internet I find the same conclusion as you Jonas. Maybe anyone else who have experience in both lenses would be so nice to write any comment or samples?

Maybe I should open a new topic but here already are some great photos from contax piece of glass that I found it the right place to ask my question.

Jonas

There are usually Zeiss Contax G system lenses available at eBay. If you want a luxury black 45mm Planar I have one I can part from. I also have an extra Sonnar 90/2.8. I just did a quick search at eBay. Not many there, but they are available. If you are in Poland and buy from somebody in the EU there will be no extra tax or other fees applicable.

/Jonas

A

alpine

Thank you Jonas for the proposal but I'm afraid I can't afford the rare black version. I'm sarching on ebay for rather cheaper occasion. We have also popular ebay'like site in Poland and there I think will find a good deal sooner or later. But feel free to send me PM.

Jonas

We have also popular ebay'like site in Poland and there I think will find a good deal sooner or later. But feel free to send me PM.
If you are looking for an as cheap as possible one you are right; the black ones are rare and cost more. Patience is a virtue... I really need to learn that myself.
Good luck,

/Jonas