The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

scho

A few shots I took today using the 35/2 Planar. This is my new favorite adapted lens. :)

Texas wildflowers are out for Easter.

These were all shot with a GF1, the first time I've had the chance to use one. The viewfinder unfortunately is too tiny for me, I much prefer the G1/GH1 EVF.
Very nice shots with the 35 Planar Robert. This lens has also become a favorite of mine on the G1 and E-P2. Look forward to your adapter when it is ready.

F

FaradayCage

What I see on this thread continues to amaze me. I cannot wait until I can use my old Zeiss Contax G glass on micro 4/3 bodies with the right adapter... which looks like monza's, once it gets off the ground. ReeRay, your shot with the 45mm Planar almost hurts to see, it is so crisp. Now if only I could decide between the E-PL1 and the GF1.

Jonas

It's easy to fall in love with these small and so good Planar lenses. Here is a previously posted part of a work in progress, the sloppyweb version:

And as that is a pano the 100%crop gets bigger than usual:

The above is with a G1 and the Zeiss Planar G 45/2 (and thinking of what thread we are in... with a Kipon adapter).

The Planar 45/2 has become my favourite for detailed panos.

regards,

/Jonas

gmoe

Hey monza, your pics with your adapter really make the 35mm shine. Just curious if you had a chance to shoot a few with the 28mm or 21mm? Though I know we'll see slight smearing in the corners I was just curious ... :) Thanks!

monza

Thanks Gary. No, I have not shot with the 21 (don't own one) and the 28 still has the rear element guards, so it won't fit. I haven't decided if I want to trim the guards or not...

Alex Souvorov

Hey monza, your pics with your adapter really make the 35mm shine. Just curious if you had a chance to shoot a few with the 28mm or 21mm? Though I know we'll see slight smearing in the corners I was just curious ... :) Thanks!
I trimmed the guards of my 28mm copy and compared it to a Distagon 28mm. The corner performance of the Contax G 28mm on mFT is pitiful. Below is the corner crop. Full images are at http://tinyurl.com/yzvpf44.

View attachment 29553

Alex

monza

I remember your earlier posts last year, Carl. That's why I'm quite pleased with the 35 Planar. 70mm effective is not overly long like many adapted lenses, and focus is close, too. Nice combination. :)

F

FaradayCage

CPWarner:
I do need to add that while the feel is less that I would like for what I paid, it is a more natural motion than the wheel on the Fotodiox adapter that I have. I will wait to see the reviews.
How serviceable has the Fotodiox been to focus? Is it truly difficult to mount and unmount the adapter?

scho

CPWarner:

How serviceable has the Fotodiox been to focus? Is it truly difficult to mount and unmount the adapter?
This was the first adapter I tried and I found the Fotodiox very difficult to mount, unmount, and to focus with that tiny un-geared wheel.

scho

Carl, which geared adapter do you use? Do you find it easier to focus?

Alex
I'm currently using a Kipon adapter, but like everyone else I'm also waiting for Robert's adapter to become available. The Kipon is easier to focus compared to the Fotodiox, but still not that smooth.

F

FaradayCage

This was the first adapter I tried and I found the Fotodiox very difficult to mount, unmount, and to focus with that tiny un-geared wheel.
thanks scho, and CPWarner, a double thank you again for that dissection of the lens workshop adapter. Those metal filings were truly disturbing to see.

CPWarner

CPWarner:

It is difficult for me to mount and unmount. About three times out of four I can not get the wheel to turn and focus the lens at all. It takes a couple of times focusing from infinity to close and then it works ok. So, I am not taking it off again until I have a better adapter.

R

roxsan

I am new here, ciao to everybody from Italy ... living close to Venice. I know a beautyfull town called Monza (close to Milan), sure mr. Monza (Robert?) will love it ...
Minolta owner from '70s (I love my large and old lenses collection and rangefinders). Late in digital (analogical spirit...) with sweety Camedia 5050 and Oly E300. Now I 've just bought Contax G lenses (28-45-90) for a very reasonable price ... when somebody stolen my Contax G same equipment in 1995 (new and expensive), I promised to myself to buy it again. And here I am. Any news about the famous G-μ4/3 last adapter? and which camera "senior" members suggest to this μ4/3 neophyte? thank you

For those of you holding out for the "Monza" adapter...

Robert was kind enough to loan me a prototype and I've had a little time to play around with it today. The fit and finish is superb and for you Panny owners, the brass focus gear matches the "L" logo nicely :) It takes a few tries to train your brain how to focus with your left thumb and index finger but I had no problem handling the substantial focus wheel.

4-5 flicks of the wheel (one full revolution) will get you from close focus to infinity and fine focusing works really well - just a slight nudge will get you there. I know Robert is looking to fine tune the components even more so I'm sure we are all in for a treat when this adapter hits the market.

seakayaker

New to the forum and enjoyed reading the discussion regarding the adaptor for the Contax G lens.

. . . . . look forward to reading the details on when/where/how/$$$ to possibly purchase the Monza adaptor for the Contax G lens . . . . .

Life is Grand!

monza

Heh, yes my getdpi name is derived from Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, my favorite Formula One race track. :)

I am new here, ciao to everybody from Italy ... living close to Venice. I know a beautyfull town called Monza (close to Milan), sure mr. Monza (Robert?) will love it ...
Minolta owner from '70s (I love my large and old lenses collection and rangefinders). Late in digital (analogical spirit...) with sweety Camedia 5050 and Oly E300. Now I 've just bought Contax G lenses (28-45-90) for a very reasonable price ... when somebody stolen my Contax G same equipment in 1995 (new and expensive), I promised to myself to buy it again. And here I am. Any news about the famous G-μ4/3 last adapter? and which camera "senior" members suggest to this μ4/3 neophyte? thank you

monza

I know Robert is looking to fine tune the components even more so I'm sure we are all in for a treat when this adapter hits the market.
Thanks Chad, I just got off the phone with the factory, they are going to make a minor change to tighten up tolerances around the thumbwheel, and we'll be good to go, should start getting the first units end of next week, or the beginning of the week after. :)

This weekend I'll be setting up a website for ordering...