The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

photoSmart42

I thought the Contax G lenses would provide better performance than the Pana 20/1.7. I wanted a good low light lens to compliment the 14-140mm on the GH1. I've seen examples where the 14-140 doesn't do well in low light.
Take a look at the many photos posted with both lenses on this forum and decide for yourself if the added expense of the Contax G lenses produces better images than the 20/1.7 lens, which is smaller and comes with AF.

Don't make the mistake of equating the cost of a lens with it's performance. I've seen a number of expensive lenses that don't produce what I consider pleasing images, and I've seen some really cheap lenses (look at Ron Evers' posts) that produce very nice images. There are many reasons for the price on lenses, not the least of which is rarity.

The 14-140 is indeed NOT a low-light lens. It's painfully slow, but a great all-around daytime lens.

I've also read some things related to 50mm being good for WYSIWYG photography. Since the FL of a lens is 2x on a m43 I figured I need to find a 25mm to get that effect. Also figured the super fast lenses may be better than the 20/1.7.
You're talking about the 'normal' aspect of 50mm lenses. That's a hotly debated topic across many forums, and there's no clear outcome from any of those discussions. Some people claim that the 'normal' part of the 50mm lens comes from emulating the same sense of perspective as the human eye, in which case you'll want an actual 50mm lens to maintain that perspective (that's my opinion as well, FWIW; when I look through the EVF on my GH1 with a 50 lens, and the other eye open, I see the exact same scene). Others claim it's the FOV of the 50mm lens that produces that 'normal' aspect, in which case you'd want something around 25mm.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about any of that too much. Cameras and lenses are just tools, so get the right tool for the types of photos you want to take. I can tell you that you'll be better off in terms of taking good photos if you stick a single lens on your camera for an entire month and just take photos. You'll learn to live with the fixed focal length of your lens, and you'll naturally compose photos that fit that focal length.

P

panamamike

Don't make the mistake of equating the cost of a lens with it's performance. I've seen a number of expensive lenses that don't produce what I consider pleasing images, and I've seen some really cheap lenses
Actually I'm not, I was looking at the Contax G because it's relatively cheap compared to the Leica glass. I've seen some of the G photos and I'm pretty impressed.

The 14-140 is indeed NOT a low-light lens. It's painfully slow, but a great all-around daytime lens.
That's the conclusion I've come to...
You're talking about the 'normal' aspect of 50mm lenses. That's a hotly debated topic across many forums, and there's no clear outcome from any of those discussions. Some people claim that the 'normal' part of the 50mm lens comes from emulating the same sense of perspective as the human eye, in which case you'll want an actual 50mm lens to maintain that perspective (that's my opinion as well, FWIW; when I look through the EVF on my GH1 with a 50 lens, and the other eye open, I see the exact same scene). Others claim it's the FOV of the 50mm lens that produces that 'normal' aspect, in which case you'd want something around 25mm.
all-around daytime lens.
Didn't know the What you see vs. FOV argument, good to know...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about any of that too much. Cameras and lenses are just tools, so get the right tool for the types of photos you want to take. I can tell you that you'll be better off in terms of taking good photos if you stick a single lens on your camera for an entire month and just take photos. You'll learn to live with the fixed focal length of your lens, and you'll naturally compose photos that fit that focal length.
You're probably right, I was pretty excited by the prospect of getting some really high quality images. Dynamic color range as well as tack sharpness from my POV. I was relying on what people where saying about the lens and some full crops I've seen.

Mike

scho

Hi Carl,
Great shot! Pretty sharp from corner to corner! All the best. Leica 77. :)
Thanks Leica77. As I mentioned, the corners are a little soft, but not to the point where it renders the images unusable. If you want to pixel peep the full size image here is the link

P

panamamike

Take a look at the many photos posted with both lenses on this forum and decide for yourself if the added expense of the Contax G lenses produces better images than the 20/1.7 lens, which is smaller and comes with AF.
It's hard to evaluate photos taken under different conditions for these two lenses. It's would be very interesting to see a head to head comparison of the Planar 45 and Panny 20. Then again, the two lenses aren't really comparable due to focal lengths.

Mike

photoSmart42

It's hard to evaluate photos taken under different conditions for these two lenses. It's would be very interesting to see a head to head comparison of the Planar 45 and Panny 20. Then again, the two lenses aren't really comparable due to focal lengths.

Mike
You can certainly compare IQ for different lenses regardless of their different focal lengths. Images taken in different conditions are fine for that evaluation. You said you were interested in getting lenses with dynamic range (that's more a sensor issue than a lens issue - you can look for contrast in lenses) and tack sharpness, and for that you don't need charts, graphs, and/or pixel-peeped carefully set up experiments (unless you're buying lenses in order to take photos of optical targets).

If you've looked at images taken with the 20/1.7 (or other lenses) in other threads and images taken with the Contax G lenses in this thread and haven't seen any significant difference, I would argue that proves my point that they're all excellent pieces of optics.

In the end, as I said before, buy whatever makes you happy and don't worry about it too much. You can't go wrong with either of these choices. These lenses hold their value pretty well, and sometimes we forget that and end up agonizing over non-decisions needlessly.

I don't want to continue hijacking this thread, so I'll stop here. Please PM me if you'd like to continue this conversation privately.

Cheers!

seakayaker

. . . . . good news!

Just received via email, "Your package from R***** J******* is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number."

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Annna T

My Kipon adapter is finally arriving too : the postman came this morning while I was at work and left the notice that I had a parcel from Hongkong waiting me at the postoffice. Alas, with my long commuting times, I won't be able to pick it up before Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, I've looked at my Contax G lenses and had a bad surprise : they have got a turquoise green dust/grease on the mount. I wonder what that is ? the glass looks still cristall clear, so I don't think that I've got fungus ? or have I ? Could it be that some lubricant spilled out of the metallic parts ? could it be oxydation ? rust ? I've put some new batteries in the Contax G camera and Ive tried to take some shots.. and it worked, the lense was able to focuse, but the aperture ring seems harder to operate than in my memory.. So I'm quite worried about what this turquoise greasy dust could be. Any idea ? I've made a search on the net concerning lense fungus and from the pictures I viewed, there is nothing similar on my lenses.. Now that I've finally found a way to use them again, I hope that they are still working ?-(

monza

That green stuff is common on Contax G lens mounts. It just wipes off, doesn't cause any harm. Almost every G1 and G2 and lens I've ever seen has some of it...

Annna T

That green stuff is common on Contax G lens mounts. It just wipes off, doesn't cause any harm. Almost every G1 and G2 and lens I've ever seen has some of it...
This is a reassuring answer, many thanks. I didn't have it on the body (at least untill I tried to attach a lense to the body. The last lense I've bought (the 21mm) doesn't have any traces of it. The 28mm (one of my most used lense) was the worst.

I've wiped that as well as I could, but there are still traces of it spots more difficult to reach. Does that mean that my lenses need some lubricant ? I'm reassured about the situation, but still somewhat uncomfortable with this..

monza

No, they need nothing. Just clean it off as best you can.

"Something is wrong with the metallurgy of the lens' mounts. Often I've seen green crud or a green mist which looks like oxidized copper on the lens mount. No big deal, since it wipes right off, but something isn't quite right with the choice of materials."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/g-system.htm#lenses

P

panamamike

No, they need nothing. Just clean it off as best you can.

"Something is wrong with the metallurgy of the lens' mounts. Often I've seen green crud or a green mist which looks like oxidized copper on the lens mount. No big deal, since it wipes right off, but something isn't quite right with the choice of materials."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/g-system.htm#lenses
When can we expect the first end user Monza adapter review? :)

Mike

Howard

A few days after I receive my copy unless someone reviews their adapter and lens earlier. I am still waiting impatiently.

Howard

P

panamamike

A few days after I receive my copy unless someone reviews their adapter and lens earlier. I am still waiting impatiently.

Howard
Have any been sent out yet? I thought Monza was working on batch #2?

Mike

mls64

Ordered the adapter from monza. Now waiting on my 45 and 90 lenses (my G2 as well) and my E-P2. All ordered within the past week....