The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

N

next61

I don't know guys but I'm still waiting for this adaptor and it's been paid for since April 24th 2010. I hate beating up a dead horse but how long I have to wait? Any advice?
Update: Just received the confirmation email from Paypal, the adaptor is on it's way to my trembling hands:):):):)
Thank you Monza!

sim

Hello Monza,

I sent my payment on April 16th and received an Email from you the 28th of may, saying you sent me the adapter, but I haven't received anything yet…
Is that normal?

N

next61

Hello everyone!

I finally received this adaptor! I am sorry but all I have to say is that a wooden chinese toy off the "Ladies Market" on Kowloon, Hong Kong would have worked much better...
It is terrible, the focusing is as smooth as a pile of rocks. That thing is positioned on the lens as Monza instructed in his videos but it feels "lumpy" when you focus. You turn that yellow wheel and after one millimeter, you have to really force it to be able to focus the lens. It feels like there is no perfection in his design... not worth it!

wjlapier

I have Robert's adapter and it's smooth focusing for my 45 and 28. One finger focusing. A bit rough for my 35 though. He's aware of the various tolerance issues amongst lenses.

BTW--you could have PM Robert about your issue with the adapter before slamming his adapter here publicly.

gmoe

BTW--you could have PM Robert about your issue with the adapter before slamming his adapter here publicly.
I agree. Talk to Robert before slamming him for his hard work and efforts. It's one thing to share your feedback on the adapter it's another thing to insult someone who has really given a lot of his time and help on these forums.

A little respect would be appreciated.

N

next61

I agree. Talk to Robert before slamming him for his hard work and efforts. It's one thing to share your feedback on the adapter it's another thing to insult someone who has really given a lot of his time and help on these forums.

A little respect would be appreciated.
What? What are you talking about? I got that adaptor this week after I payed and waited since April 24th. I read every post on these forums about his adaptor and not one... do you hear me? Not one post - mentions any roughens in focusing. How am I insulting?
Do you know how many PMs I sent to Monza about this adaptor?
Do you know how many times he answered?
It seems that I ruffed up your feathers because I criticized this adaptor and I gave a clear description of how it focuses?

monza

Sim, I assume this is Gilles, I have sent you an email also.

Robert

Hello Monza,

I sent my payment on April 16th and received an Email from you the 28th of may, saying you sent me the adapter, but I haven't received anything yet…
Is that normal?

seakayaker

What? What are you talking about? I got that adaptor this week after I payed and waited since April 24th. I read every post on these forums about his adaptor and not one... do you hear me? Not one post - mentions any roughens in focusing. How am I insulting?
Do you know how many PMs I sent to Monza about this adaptor?
Do you know how many times he answered?
It seems that I ruffed up your feathers because I criticized this adaptor and I gave a clear description of how it focuses?
. . . . . The issue with focusing has been mentioned in other posts.

This from a post I made on May 9th . . . . .

. . . . . No problem with placing the 45mm or 90mm lenses in the adaptor. The focus wheel does feel stiff at this point, but I will have to give it some time to see if it becomes a little more smooth when focusing.
This from a post three weeks ago . . . . .

I wish the adaptor was easier and smoother to use but then again the lens was made to be driven by a camera motor in a auto focus mode.
There are a few other posts which point out that reaching focus has been difficult for others when they are using this adaptor. The comments are there if you read through the posts.

I have also corresponded with Monza and he has responded. Hopefully a remedy to allow ease of focusing will be found.

If you go back to his website, I believe he is standing by his product and offers a refund for customers.

I would rather work with him and hope that the adaptor can be improved so that the full potential of the Contax G lenses can be realized.

The sale and purchase of the adaptor is nothing personal, its just a business transaction and can be remedied.

Good Luck!

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Robert,

Could you please kindly give an update of shipping status? I have PM you twice since sending the payment 8 days ago. Many thanks,

monza

Hi, please don't send PMs to me here, as it's too difficult to keep track, and the system prevents sending a PM more than once every four minutes. When you have 5 or 6 in your mail box, well, you get the idea. :) Also, often I can't tell who is whom, because forum names don't correspond to email addresses. Thanks for your understanding...

J

JPB

Dear Monza,

Just got the adapter. Many thanks.

The adapter, presumably "second generation", is well made and the materials are excellent. Mounting and unmounting proves no problem whatsoever, thanks to your video. However, focusing is inconsistent: "smooth" or "bumpy" depending on the position I am holding my G1.

I noticed that there is a fair amount of play when the lens is seated in place, in terms of rotation and laterally. I suspect that if it fit more tightly, focusing would be regular. The little gizmo on the lens that turns and moves the helicals is so small that it does not tolerate the slightest displacement, however small.

In practical terms, if adapting these lenses had been all that easy, someone would have solved the problem a long time ago. So far, nobody has done so with absolute success. I suppose, then, we must resign ourselves to the Contax G lenses being useful tools on the MFT system for certain applications and less for others (in short - their being a beloved pain in the butt..)

My assessment:

I can live with the adapter as it is, but find that it is far better to use two fingers to rotate the wheel than one.

Dear Monza: If you have any observations, if I have a problem example, or if there are improvements on the way, please keep me informed.

Kind regards.

monza

Thanks for your feedback, JPB. As I posted on my blog, I recommend using two fingers for focus (the torque required to rotate the thumbwheel back and forth is much easier with two fingers than one.)

I'm investigating further improvements. :)

wjlapier

Dear Monza,

Just got the adapter. Many thanks.

The adapter, presumably "second generation", is well made and the materials are excellent. Mounting and unmounting proves no problem whatsoever, thanks to your video. However, focusing is inconsistent: "smooth" or "bumpy" depending on the position I am holding my G1.

I noticed that there is a fair amount of play when the lens is seated in place, in terms of rotation and laterally. I suspect that if it fit more tightly, focusing would be regular. The little gizmo on the lens that turns and moves the helicals is so small that it does not tolerate the slightest displacement, however small.

In practical terms, if adapting these lenses had been all that easy, someone would have solved the problem a long time ago. So far, nobody has done so with absolute success. I suppose, then, we must resign ourselves to the Contax G lenses being useful tools on the MFT system for certain applications and less for others (in short - their being a beloved pain in the butt..)

My assessment:

I can live with the adapter as it is, but find that it is far better to use two fingers to rotate the wheel than one.

Dear Monza: If you have any observations, if I have a problem example, or if there are improvements on the way, please keep me informed.

Kind regards.
G lenses can be converted to Leica M mount, then all you need is M>mFT adapter. I've considered this with my 28.

As for smooth focusing. My 35 was a bit rough, but after some playing with the lens on the adapter off the camera I found it was the slight looseness that was the problem. If I gently apply pressure up, not rotationally, I will then have a smooth focusing adapter. Smooth focusing with my 45 and 28 without any added pressure either way.

I must also say, Robert is a great guy to deal with. He did an awesome job painting my Leica M3, machining two c-mount lenses, numerous buying and selling back and forth the last few years. Just be patient and he'll come through for you who are waiting for your adapter.

Novaron

Finally got the adapter and did some shooting with a Contax G90/2.8 it a a BBQ and blues picnic that was a charity fundraiser. Here are a few images.