The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

seakayaker

When I received the Metabones adaptor it seems like it took about ten minutes for me to attach my 90/2.8 lens. All I can tell you is that I lined up the lens with the adaptor and twisted the adaptor to the left while turning the lens to the right to get it to lock into place. Was gentle and patient and it eventually worked.

I swapped to the 45/2 the next day and it took about half the time.

Not much help, but I do believe your lens will mount.

Good Luck!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

jrosen2

OK I got it on after fiddling with it off and on for another hour. Suddenly it just clicked in place. Now, the focusing is Not as smooth as it was when it wasn't locked on. When I turn the ring it sounds like the bearings are not gliding smoothly and there is a slight grinding sound.

I am very frustrated with this adapter. I paid full price for what I think is a 'beta'. Note that this is my second one and it cost me an additional $18.00 to ship the other one back. I have the exact same problems with the new one - it will not smoothly focus and it will not get onto my lenses without a fight. They cannot be serious about selling an adapter that will not easily and smoothly attach to the lens.
Lasjashk, go back to the drawing board and produce something that works.

Jonas

OK I got it on after fiddling with it off and on for another hour. Suddenly (...)
Lasjashk, go back to the drawing board and produce something that works.
Hmm. This sounds strange. When I wrote post No 753 above I mounted and unmounted my lens to make sure I didn't miss any step, at least not anything obvious. I hoped somebody would post something in better English...

I can't see one should need an hour, or ten minutes, or even five minutes to switch lens. (I also don't know why people don't nuy an adapter for each lens but that's another story.)

Maybe it is about an bad lens, maybe it is about expectations, I don't know. Your experience is so different from what other users report. And, I say this having the theory of some combinations of lenses and adapters fitting better than other ones.

Expectations... to me it is clear all adapter until now can be improved in some ways. At the same time I understand it is hard to make an adapter making the lens feel like a traditional helicoid. At the same time the adapter should work, and work decently.

seakayaker

Since I got the Metabones adaptor 5 days ago I have taken a few hundred photographs. The focus ring has been quite nice. Not as good as a native focus ring on a manual lens but it works on the Contax G 45/2 & 90/2.8 that were built to work in an auto focus mode.

I own one Panasonic adaptor that allows an electronic connection to a couple of four/thirds Panasonic Lens. Other then that all the other adaptors that i own only connect the GF1 and the lens that allow use of the manual focus ring and to position the lens the correct distance from the sensor.

I appreciate the efforts of Monza, Metabones, and Kipon for putting an adaptor on the market that allows use of the fantastic Contax G Lenses.

It would be great if they were perfect and even better is they cost less . . . . .

. . . . . but . . . . .

Having Fun with the GF1!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

F

famendo

The new Kipon adapter is super easy to change lenses with, I bought three becuase I thought I would need to leave it on the lens all the time, but you can change lenses just like on the original contax G. Kipon sounds like it is the winner, but price is still a little higher.

L

lasjashk

thank's Jonas first......

To jrosen2, Sorry! I think my English is too bad, so i can't convince that let you know how to install in ....... and waste your time...... Anyway, i provided aftersale service and all i can do, if still frustrated in this adapter.......i think it return to me and get a refund is better. Sorry about this case......

I would like to chime in a bit. I bought a Kipon used on this forums. After much fiddling since I'm not too familiar with this system, I got it to work. It's quite rough/jerky at first to focus, but then one day, it just decides to smooth out. :)). I would love to try the Metabone one since a bigger focus ring is definitely a plus. But then I don't intend to buy more Contax G beside the 45 so it would be a waste of money. However, I'm going for the NEX-7 when it comes out, so if Metabone would offer one by then, I would spring for it, especially, if the 21 and 28 is compatible without modification like the Kipon.

jrosen2

This morning, I reattached my 45mm Contax G lens with the Metabones adapter to my EPL-1 and to my great relief it works well. There is no more jerkiness in the ring and the noises I previously described are gone. I can attest to the fact that focusing is smooth and easily obtained. I would rate it on a par with my Kipon ring adapter on my 35mm. I guess the adapter must be alive for it to heal itself! I will not dare to remove the adapter from the lens for fear of not getting it back on.

I find that with my Kipon adapter, if you place the lens and adapter upright, the movement will be as silky as I can ask for. I also use this position to adjust the jerkiness by turning the focus ring for a couple of times.

M

mooch

Just how much force is needed with the metabones adapter? I bought it last week and it arrived today but no matter what I do it doesn't seem to fit. I have followed the instructions on this forum and elsewhere to the letter and it still doesn't click into place.

The pin on the adapter which should click into the lens slot is about 5mm away and will not move closer towards the slot. Everything is correctly aligned and the lock is in the correct position. I have been trying all morning and getting nowhere. I have tried with 2 different 45mm and 1 28mm and all exactly the same problem.

jrosen2

Welcome to the club. Sometimes it just clicks in position, but most times it is a fight. What I did was forget about it and then go back to it and try again. If enough of us write about this problem here maybe metabones will fix the adapter rather than telling us there is nothing wrong.

A

arpoador

One more here.

Like uusunn and Mooch, I cannot get the lens to turn far enough for the latch to reach the slot. In my case, there are about 3-4 mm to go, but it has reached a hard stop, and I'm not putting any more pressure on, since that's likely to just break the lens.

L

lasjashk

Hi, arpoador, mooch, jrosen2,
Sorry for this case.....
I will post a new video for installation here, i think it can help to learn "how to install a Lens", it is very easy and not need large force.
Here have two main point:
(1)You put a adapter on the lens rear, a Lens "slot" need aim at a adapter "copper pin", you can turn a adapter focus ring there and back, if right position, the adapter focus ring can control the lens, you can see the front Lens Reach out......
(2)If yes! You can hold a lens and adapter, and then trun the "Lens Lock Ring" to lock direction (not turn a Lens), trun to the end position and then you can see a Lens pit will under adapter "Lock pin", so push a "Lock button" to lock a Lens.
Anyway, I will be back and post a video ASAP.
Thank you!

M

mooch

Hey, lasjash. This is the guy that bought your lens from ebay and will be reviewing it for the big Korean site. Everything is lined up perfectly but the pin just does not move far enough to fit into the slot without using a ridiculous amount of force. I will try upload a video of it tomorrow if I can get some time. It is definitely not as simple as your video makes it look.

I have a feeling there is just something wrong with my adapter as well. When I turn the focus ring it's nowhere near as smooth as the video. Half the time it ends up locking and grinding.

M

mooch

And just to be clear, the focus screw and slot are lined up correctly and turns with no problem (apart from being a bit jerky sometimes). It's turning the mounting ring far enough so that it hovers over the locking slot that is the problem.

M

mooch

The adapter is finally fitted but it is so jerky to be unusable. Furthermore, the locking mechanism does not raise the pin out of the groove so I can't even remove it at the moment. Check out the video of how (un)smooth the focusing is. Excuse the poor quality but I don't have another videocamera on hand at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uWFY_K_yhg

L

lasjashk

The adapter is finally fitted but it is so jerky to be unusable. Furthermore, the locking mechanism does not raise the pin out of the groove so I can't even remove it at the moment. Check out the video of how (un)smooth the focusing is. Excuse the poor quality but I don't have another videocamera on hand at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uWFY_K_yhg

Hi, mooch,
Sorry! I seem your video now, your adapter have mechanism problems in our assemble........Anyway, pls return your adapter to us and i will handle this case ASAP.
Thank you!

seakayaker

Picked up the second Metabones adaptor today from the post office.

I had to play with installing the Contax G 90/2.8 lens to the adaptor for about 5 minutes. At first could not get the lens to lock in place, the focus wheel and lens would turn smoothly but the lens would not lock into place and would fall out when changing the aperature setting on the lens. Once I managed to have the lens lock in place it then was a bit jerky. While holding the base of lens and then twisting the lens back and forth while holding the focus ring I could feel the focus ring turn smoothly. I believe the screw from the lens was not seating properly in the adaptor slot causing the rough play when attempting to focus. (Only a guess)

For now I have the 90/2.8 on an individual Metabones adaptor and the 45/2 on its own Metabones adaptor. Both are focusing smoothly.

lasjashk, one suggestion I have is to please add a rear lens cap for the adaptor. I intend to keep the adaptors on the lenses and it would be nice to have the rear cap come with the adaptor. I believe this would be a nice selling point. I know we can by them individually but why not sell the rear cap with the adaptor or make it an add-on option for additional cost. One stop shopping.

I am happy with the two Metabones adaptors that I have purchased.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)