Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

The adapter has been available for a few days now. According to eBay, they have sold 24 units so far.

I am very interested to use my Contax G lenses (45 & 90; too bad can't use my 28) again. The only thing that is holding me back is the focusing wheel on the adapter. It is a tiny 10mm wheel and it may be a bit tricky to use, especially when you wear a glove.

I am asking for user personal experience to see if the focusing with the tiny wheel is acceptable. Thank you.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

No experience with the adapter. However, for winter "glove" work, I wear a pair of Lowepro knit gloves with the "nubblies" on them. Gloves are never ideal, but these work well enough, even with small controls. For very cold weather, I have a pair of mits that "fold back" to expose the fingers, and I wear these over the Lowepros. I also have some ultra-thin insulated gloves that can go inside the Lowepros. If it's cold enough to need all three layers, it's probably cold enough to be "tanking" the battery. Time to go home and have a hot chocolate.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is another adapter about to be released which has a bigger thumbwheel, and it is geared. The focus travel from near to far can be over 4 revolutions of the screw drive, so a geared adapter will offer faster focusing (only about 1.5 turns from close focus to infinity.)

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    There is another adapter about to be released which has a bigger thumbwheel, and it is geared. The focus travel from near to far can be over 4 revolutions of the screw drive, so a geared adapter will offer faster focusing (only about 1.5 turns from close focus to infinity.)
    Drat! I've just ordered the Jin Rong adapter. Robert, are you able to say who will be offering the geared adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, next question... roughly how much? Or perhaps you're not able to say yet. (I'm tempted to pre-order one without even knowing the price).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM. The production units will be anodized black and the thumbwheel will be black.

A jpeg shot with the 45/2 Planar.

Post Thanks / Like

In that case, I will wait a little bit. I do understand that there may be a trade off or compromise of focusing speed and focusing precision. I was told that the current G adapter takes about 4-5 turns of the wheel to get from the closet focusing distance to infinity. That may be too slow for me 'on paper'.

John, thank you for the advise of keeping hands warm. I do use layer system on my hands as well as on my body .

Jonathon, would you please post your opinion on the G adapter after you have a chance to play with it a bit.
    Last edited by slau; 7th November 2009 at 13:29.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's interesting. I'm a fan of the small Zeiss Contax lenses. I'm looking forward to learn more about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, great news about your adapter...looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    In that case, I will wait a little bit. I do understand that there may be a trade off or compromise of focusing speed and focusing precision. I was told that the current G adapter takes about 4-5 turns of the wheel to get from the closet focusing distance to infinity. That may be too slow for me 'on paper'.

John, thank you for the advise of keeping hands warm. I do use layer system on my hands as well as on my body .

Jonathon, would you please post your opinion on the G adapter after you have a chance to play with it a bit.
    It may be a week before it arrives but I'll certainly post my opinion and some results once it does. You've hit the nail on the head about the trade-off between focusing speed and precision. I'm intending to order Robert's adapter as well because the Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification raised that issue a split second after I wrote my earlier comment.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice looking adapter, Robert.

Seriously- have you thought about anodizing (could be special order) it to Blue, Red, etc colors to match the m4/3rds bodies? The colored anodizing is easy (look at Novoflex accessories). Just need a different dye instead of black.

The inside (light path) still would need a black paint though. More labor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the anodizing shop can do all sorts of colors. But then it becomes an inventory challenge...and maybe white and chrome for the Olympus?

Post Thanks / Like

Just make them black.

The single lens I'm interested in here is the Zeiss G Planar 45/2. Robert, do you have anything to say about corner to corner "sharpness", contrast and such with this lens used with a G1?

Post Thanks / Like

In my limited experience, the Planar 45/2 is pretty much the best lens ever. I'm quite eager to try it as a portrait lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have been focusing on the adapter design, not the lens performance, but I'll have results next week, as will beta testers. The Contax G lenses are my favorite lenses of all, but they are rangefinder lenses, like M lenses. I expect the 45 and 90 will be great, the wider lenses will probably have a bit of smearing. The 21/28 will not fit without the rear element protectors being trimmed. But with the Pana 20/1.7, there really is no need for the 21 anyway.

The 45/2 is really inexpensive and the 90 is even less (about $100 used at B&H or KEH.) Leica ASPH quality for a pittance.
    Last edited by monza; 7th November 2009 at 16:37.

Post Thanks / Like

One nice thing about buying these lenses used--when they're not mounted on a camera, the aperture ring appears to be out of alignment. So eBay sellers who don't know the system often sell them very cheaply as broken. I got my current 45 this way, and it is perfect...

Post Thanks / Like

I have been focusing on the adapter design, not the lens performance, (...)
    I understand, I'm looking forward to any reports later on.
    The WA lenses will smear for sure.

/Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There may be some images on flickr with Contax G glass converted to M mount, and then used on micro 4/3. I also recall some images here posted by butterdada with the 28mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    It may be a week before it arrives but I'll certainly post my opinion and some results once it does. You've hit the nail on the head about the trade-off between focusing speed and precision. I'm intending to order Robert's adapter as well because the Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification raised that issue a split second after I wrote my earlier comment.
    So far, I have bought more than 5 adapters from RJ and have been happy about the products. The shipping to Canada is usually about two weeks plus.

Slow (but usually more precise) focusing is not a problem for landscape type of shots but I also like to be able to use my Contax G lenses for other shootings that would require faster focusing. That is why I am holding back on buying the RJ adapter.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread is very exciting. Like Monza, the CZ Contax G lenses were my favorite lens, with the 21mm my all time favorite. I will ultimately buy the panny 20mm 1.7 lens when supplies become available in quantity which will do what a 21mm will do on the M4/3. I am interested in the adapter and saw the Jinfinance version on e-bay, but would be more interested in the a geared one with less wheel turning. Does anyone know when the geared one would be available? If the the wait is for the geared version too long, I will order the Jinfinance adapter.

With the Jinfinance version, does the manual focus properly when you rotate the little wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    This thread is very exciting. Like Monza, the CZ Contax G lenses were my favorite lens, with the 21mm my all time favorite. I will ultimately buy the panny 20mm 1.7 lens when supplies become available in quantity which will do what a 21mm will do on the M4/3. I am interested in the adapter and saw the Jinfinance version on e-bay, but would be more interested in the a geared one with less wheel turning. Does anyone know when the geared one would be available? If the the wait is for the geared version too long, I will order the Jinfinance adapter.

With the Jinfinance version, does the manual focus properly when you rotate the little wheel?
    It is too bad that any lens wider than 35 mm cannot used on the current RJ G adapter. It has been mentioned that another adapter for 'wider' (than 35 mm) G lenses may be available later, but infinity will not be possible with the 'wide' adapter.

I was told that focus is pretty precise and you can focus to infinity (actually a little bit pass infinity) with the current RJ G adapter. As the adapter has been only available for a few days, we may have to wait a week or two to get some actual user report. I have my 45 & 90 dusted off and cleaned up, and I am ready to go.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The wider lenses will work at infinity if the little 'ears' are trimmed at the back of the lens. These protect the rear element (somewhat) but they interfere with the baffle inside the shutter chamber on micro 4/3. If you don't care about modifying these, all the G lenses will fit and focus to infinity. Trimming of course must be done carefully to avoid any damage to the extended rear elements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The wider lenses will work at infinity if the little 'ears' are trimmed at the back of the lens. These protect the rear element (somewhat) but they interfere with the baffle inside the shutter chamber on micro 4/3. If you don't care about modifying these, all the G lenses will fit and focus to infinity. Trimming of course must be done carefully to avoid any damage to the extended rear elements.
    Sounds like you might be thinking about offering an ear trimming service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Contax G 21mm is substantially equivalent to the Panny 20mm 1.7, which will AF with the m4/3 cameras. The thing I loved about the Contax G 21mm is the IQ and perspective; since the m4/3 doubles the 21mm focal length, it becomes a 42mm lens. For my WA shots, I ultimately may purchase the Panny WA zoom,. From what I read it is small and capable. But again, I have always been a fan of primes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    The Contax G 21mm is substantially equivalent to the Panny 20mm 1.7, which will AF with the m4/3 cameras. The thing I loved about the Contax G 21mm is the IQ and perspective; since the m4/3 doubles the 21mm focal length, it becomes a 42mm lens. For my WA shots, I ultimately may purchase the Panny WA zoom,. From what I read it is small and capable. But again, I have always been a fan of primes.
    Currently there's an interesting discussion about using wide lenses (including the Contax G21/2.8) on m4/3rds cameras in the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum at FredMiranda.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathan,
    Thanks for the reference. After reading the discussion in the FM forum, I do not think my Contax G 21mm will work on my Panny G. I think my best bet will be the Panny 20mm 1.7 and in the future a Panny WA zoom (small, light and capable.) I think I read that Panny will produce a 14mm lens (28mm - 35 equivalent) and I would like a 20 or 21mm wa - 35 equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Panasonic 20f1.7 which is a very nice lens and fits the G1/GH1 perfectly. I am not sure if my Contax G28 can be noticeably better than the 20f1.7. In addition, the in-camera correction works very good to minimize the distortion from typical wide angle lens like the 20f1.7.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen,
    Your experience confirms all the positive things that I heard about the Panny 20mm 1.7. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

As a sidenote, the 45mm/f2.8 Tessar lens for Contax/Yashica SLRs is also quite a nice performer on a 4/3-format camera. I love mine for portraits, but I tend to photograph using wide angles much of the time, so it doesn't see a lot of use these days...

Ziggie

This geared adapter interests me also. One related question though. Does anyone know if the manual focus assist (i.e. enlargement of the image on screen) on the Lumix G1 can be used with old legacy lenses of this kind? It kicks in when I move the focus ring on my legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses but as there will be no electronic connection on old manual lenses I wonder if there is a workaround for this. It doesn't look like it can be mapped to the Function button. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you push the focus mode button, then menu/set. With a bit of practice, all it takes is a quick roll of the thumb. Normal view is restored with a half-press of the shutter release.

Ziggie

OK, cool. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

apras

wow i am looking forward to your adapter monza. already bought the 28mm and 90mm a few months ago, and searching for a contax G1. guess i don't need G1 anymore. now i need to look for a 45mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Any new information or development on this G adapter? Someone must be using the RJ adapter by now. 55 adapters have been sold so far.
    Last edited by slau; 17th November 2009 at 16:52.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in too. Please keep me informed,

Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, testing is underway, things look good so far. Pushing the manufacturer for a quick turn. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

Any tentative date for delivery of your adapter, monza?
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have more info tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    Any new information or development on this G adapter? Someone must be using the RJ adapter by now. 55 adapters have been sold so far.
    I have the RJ adapter. I'm just waiting for my Contax G 45/2 and 90/2.8 lenses to arrive. As soon as they do, I'll post some results. Or, someone else will beat me to the punch.

In the meantime, some results and user feedback about the 45/2 on a GF1 (with the RJ adapter) have been posted in a thread on the Alternative Gear & Lenses forum at FredMiranda.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Jonathan. How tight or loose is the small focusing wheel? The small wheel is my major concern and why I am still waiting on the side line. I still have my favorite Contax G1 & three lenses.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the RJ adapter, just because I still had a G 45 Planar lying around. I have no sample images as I've mostly just been pointing it at things around the house to try the focus wheel out.

Conclusion: it works, but kind of a pain. That is, I won't be shooting moving objects with this setup. First, given where the AF screw is, the wheel is in an awkward placen. So I need to modify your hand position to get to it. In that regard, it looks like Monza's geared version which protrudes a bit might work better. The lens sure *looks* cool on the EP1 though.

Oh, the other problem is... I can't seem to get the lens back off the adapter. There's a lens release button, but it seems that since the AF wheel engages with the AF screw and there's no provision for releasing that I can't get the bayonet to turn. Perhaps I'll figure it out...

Realistically, I'll be using my M-mount lenses in that range (I have 35, 40 and 50) as focusing is much easier, but I had to get one of these to try out my G45...

- j
    Jonas Yip
    www.jonasyip.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed this thread with great interest. Having been born and grown up within 3 miles of the Leitz headquarter in Wetzlar, I was slightly biased and never paid much attention to Zeiss lenses. But I love the character of most of the shots with Zeiss glass that I have seen here at getdpi and would love to play with one. I am hesitating about the Contax mounts because I'm not sure I have the patience to fiddle around with the small wheels on the adapters. Is there any other recommended Zeiss lens in the 40-60mm range out there that does not cost an arm and a leg and can be brought to work on my G1? I have adapters for c-mount, Leica R & M39, Canon FD but I assume they would not help me much here... Thanks for any suggestions, and if that here is not the right place, please by PM.

Thanks,

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find an old Contax Zeiss 50f1.4, you should not have to pay too much money for it. It is not the best Zeiss lens, but it works well and relatively inexpensive and fast. You can buy a C/Y adpater to M 4/3 and use the manual focus ring on the lens barrel. I am very biased toward Zeiss optics . I have tried my Contax Zeiss 28f2.8 on my GH1 and was very disappointed in the image quality.
    Last edited by slau; 19th November 2009 at 02:30.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonasYip View Post
    I just got the RJ adapter, just because I still had a G 45 Planar lying around. I have no sample images as I've mostly just been pointing it at things around the house to try the focus wheel out.

Conclusion: it works, but kind of a pain. That is, I won't be shooting moving objects with this setup. First, given where the AF screw is, the wheel is in an awkward placen. So I need to modify your hand position to get to it. In that regard, it looks like Monza's geared version which protrudes a bit might work better. The lens sure *looks* cool on the EP1 though.

Oh, the other problem is... I can't seem to get the lens back off the adapter. There's a lens release button, but it seems that since the AF wheel engages with the AF screw and there's no provision for releasing that I can't get the bayonet to turn. Perhaps I'll figure it out...

Realistically, I'll be using my M-mount lenses in that range (I have 35, 40 and 50) as focusing is much easier, but I had to get one of these to try out my G45...

- j

Jonas, thank you for your mini review. The focusing wheel is my major concern. Well, we will see what is going to develop later. Btw, there is a section in RJ's eBay site to tech you how to take the lens off the adapter if you have problem taking off the lens. This must be a common problem with that adapter. Hope RJ will improve the adapter soon.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Just to follow up on removing the adapter: I did manage to remove it finally... just need to force it. It's not something I would want to do often, or in the field if I was hoping to swap the lens between a Contax G2 and a micro 4/3 body. I often do carry an M-mount body and a micro 4/3 body and being able to share lenses is great.

j
    Jonas Yip
    www.jonasyip.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any latest development on this G adapter or any new user wants to share his/her experience?

Btw, just received an email from RJ Finance that they have three new adapters available now. Also, they will be selling '2nd generation' adapters in January, whatever it means.

I have been very happy about my old Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2 with my M adapter on GH1. May be I will just wait until a better G adapter comes out as I am mostly interested in using my G 40 lens, which performs about the same as of the Minolta lens or a touch better, pending a side-by-side comparison.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

kvarnelis

I posted about this at dpreview, but it seems like that thread has lost its readers for this one.

I bought a jinfinance adapter and received it last week.

In general, I'm happy with my adapter. For $116 (the cost of the adapter+expedited shipping), I am able to use most of my Contax lenses.

The biggest obstacle is focus and lens shake. The new firmware update has done a lot to correct the initial frustration I had.

Focus takes a while to get used to because it's in an awkward position.

When I have the focus dialed in and the shutter speed is high enough, the sharpness can be good. It's not the super crisp sharpness of the Contax on its original body and, since the adapter doesn't work with the two biogons, especially the 28 which for my money is the best lens I've ever used, some good friends are missing. Still, I now have prime equivalents of 40 (my Panasonic 20), 70, 90, and 180mm.

BTW, my sense is that it's crucial to go a bit faster than 1/focal length in order to ensure blur-free shots.

The lenses ARE difficult to get off until you realize that the ring to turn is NOT the black on the G lens but rather its the metal ring one step closer to the aperture. It needs a gentle twist and then the lens comes out, but it's definitely counterintuitive at first.

Some early shots...
    35mm Planar

45mm Planar