Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

In that case, Amin, what you are saying is that those who have not bought the lens should keep quiet.

How was I able to point to the apparent lack of "bite" compared to the images from Zuiko 50/2 (all from Jono, all web sized images) that Jono appear to agree to in his later post?

I think the lens' complex design is a problem when it comes to the performance. I have not seen any advantages of this ("reviews", Pana site, Leica site, anywhere) and any images that would support that design (and hence the price, eventually).

This discussion, I must emphasize, isn't about Jono's posts but about the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In that case, Amin, what you are saying is that those who have not bought the lens should keep quiet.
    Please do not misrepresent what I said. What I said was that I do not believe that sharpness, bite, etc, cannot be judged from these small, resized photos. I did not say that anyone should keep quiet. It is possible, for example, to begin to understand and discuss certain other lens performance characteristics (bokeh rendering, light falloff, gross aberrations, etc) from these resized images, and there are samples elsewhere from which to judge sharpness, etc.

How was I able to point to the apparent lack of "bite" compared to the images from Zuiko 50/2 (all from Jono, all web sized images) that Jono appear to agree to in his later post?
    My guess is that your were able to point to this either from having seen high-res samples elsewhere or by random chance and that Jono is able to confirm based on high-res screen viewing or prints. Certainly the DPR testing and full-res samples suggest that this lens lacks the "bite" of the ZD 50 macro. I personally don't think that the same can be understood from Jono's resized images.

This discussion, I must emphasize, isn't about Jono's posts but about the lens.
    Of course, and I never said anyone shouldn't discuss the lens sharpness or "bite" in this thread. There are samples available at DPR and elsewhere from which to reasonably judge these things.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess is that your were able to point to this either from having seen high-res samples elsewhere or by random chance and that Jono is able to confirm based on high-res screen viewing or prints.
    False guess and based on that a few misleading posts.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin, Vivek
    I agree about the difficulty with pictures sized for the web. An additional problem is that these were processed in Lightroom 3 beta, which I'm not very familiar with. My normal poison is Aperture, and I understand it pretty well.

I'm not sure that there is very much to learn from the images themselves, especially if you add in my casual approach and a new converter . . . . except perhaps something about the bokeh. I understand your reservations Vivek.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Now I don't feel the need to play a public tennis game over the topic. I am guilty of having done so but I find most of those games to be of little value and try to reserve them for the DPR forums. And I still like what I have seen from the Panasonic Macro this far.

kind regards,

/Jonas
    HI Jonas
    I'm sorry if I've tampered with your hackles - we all have our sensitive spots (you got one of mine).

Let's leave it that we agree(ish) (I'm not sure we even need to agree to differ). Certainly about public tennis games! Probably also about the Panasonic macro.

All the very best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Amin, Vivek
    I agree about the difficulty with pictures sized for the web. An additional problem is that these were processed in Lightroom 3 beta, which I'm not very familiar with. My normal poison is Aperture, and I understand it pretty well.

I'm not sure that there is very much to learn from the images themselves, especially if you add in my casual approach and a new converter . . . . except perhaps something about the bokeh. I understand your reservations Vivek.

all the best
    I found your personal impressions more revealing than the images. I like to hear impressions from folks whose work I like (assuming then they know their way around their gear)--and know that web sized images aren't going to tell me as much.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure that there is very much to learn from the images themselves, especially if you add in my casual approach and a new converter . . . . except perhaps something about the bokeh.
    Jono, It is the casual approach that is useful. Thanks for that.

I know that you obliged with my request earlier using something Nikon and shot some brick walls (). I won't put you in trouble again.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Jonas
    I'm sorry if I've tampered with your hackles - we all have our sensitive spots (you got one of mine). (...)
    Hi Jono,

It must has been that with "Jones",

Cheers,

/Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ahhhhhh peace and tranquility in macro land.....

Post Thanks / Like

False guess and based on that a few misleading posts.
    My post (post #48) was not aimed at you. It was my opinion regarding whether certain things can be learned from small, resized images, and no place did I ever say that I was talking about you.

I think we should just take a lesson from Jonas and Jono and simply drop it.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Ahhhhhh peace and tranquility in macro land.....
    After a moderators heart . . I notice that my super duper is no longer red and throbbing - have I offended Jack?

Diane - thank you - It's tough isn't it, everybody wants to know . . . but just having the lens for a few days doesn't even make me 'know' (let alone being able to communicate it!).

Vivek - you taught me to shoot brick walls!!! (not really). I usually do it with new lenses, but not actually with this one yet. Normally to check if they're decentered etc. - I must be getting lazy!:sleep006:

Jonas - I will attempt never to spell your name wrong again

Amin - It's so much better for the blood pressure

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    My post (post #48) was not aimed at you. It was my opinion regarding whether certain things can be learned from small, resized images, and no place did I ever say that I was talking about you.

I think we should just take a lesson from Jonas and Jono and simply drop it.
    You did, with your "guess". If you read my earlier post regarding the "bite" (for which Jono responded), you would realize those guesses were wrong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek - you taught me to shoot brick walls!!! (not really). I usually do it with new lenses, but not actually with this one yet. Normally to check if they're decentered etc. - I must be getting lazy!:sleep006:
    Decentering goes out the window when the OIS is activated, no?

BTW, I've been checking out a few diopters with the 45-200 zoom. At 45mm, slower than 1/100s, handheld (~1/4 to 1/3X magnifications), OIS does not seem to help and appears to mush up the images.
    Last edited by Vivek; 11th November 2009 at 16:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Amin - It's so much better for the blood pressure
    Agreed. I'm going to let it go.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Agreed. I'm going to let it go.
    you should just see what I've been going through on LUF

But the 45 macro is still a little gem:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, Jono. I am sorely tempted!
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ahhh my sweet little lens has arrived. Went out shooting for a while this afternoon (yes I buzzed out of work a little early) but I mostly missed the light. You want macro shots? ooooops

Yes, this was from the 45 macro.
    Last edited by Terry; 19th November 2009 at 19:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,
    Infinity works, and looks quite nice.
    Next oh how about a shot of George Washington or maybe the eye of Horus at 1:1?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, Terry!

Where'd you get it from? I've been crossing my fingers for Panasonic direct to get it, but nothing so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Terry,
    Infinity works, and looks quite nice.
    Next oh how about a shot of George Washington or maybe the eye of Horus at 1:1?
    -bob
    Bob,
    How can you tell from Terry's shot that the 45f2.8 macro lens works well for infinity? I haven't shot enough macro shots or used enough macro lenses to know if that lens work for infinity from looking at Terry's shot. Just need some education. Thanks.

Btw, my shooting buddy has been using his 45 macro and is quite happy about it. He bought his from Japan a little more than a month ago.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    Bob,
    How can you tell from Terry's shot that the 45f2.8 macro lens works well for infinity? I haven't shot enough macro shots or used enough macro lenses to know if that lens work for infinity from looking at Terry's shot. Just need some education. Thanks.

Btw, my shooting buddy has been using his 45 macro and is quite happy about it. He bought his from Japan a little more than a month ago.
    There are three distances over which I tend to evaluate macro lenses.
    1) Infinity (or lets just say far away) this is sometimes a challenge for many macro designs which have been optimized for close range work. I consider any reasonable level of sharpness at infinity a good thing for a macro and I think that although there might have been better test subjects there is adequate contrast in it to give a sense of contrast and sharpness.
    2) Portrait distance. This depends on focal length. Looking for sharp eyes, dof for background separation and pleasing oof areas. A good macro lens will be very useful for head and shoulder shots.
    3) Real close up. This is what the lens should be optimized for and for sure ultra-sharp in-focus areas and pleasing oof areas are the hallmark signature of a good macro lens.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ahhh my sweet little lens has arrived. Went out shooting for a while this afternoon (yes I buzzed out of work a little early) but I mostly missed the light. You want macro shots? ooooops
    Well - it's a lovely shot, macro or not.
    How are your general feelings?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,

we'd need at least a 100% crop to judge sharpness... and so Jono's vague question is probably going to be more useful.

I'd just love to see a lot more portrait examples - with varying light and background conditions.

Plus, maybe a few entries to our 'Photographing your bokeh' thread

Thanks Terry,

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Bob,

we'd need at least a 100% crop to judge sharpness... and so Jono's vague question is probably going to be more useful.

I'd just love to see a lot more portrait examples - with varying light and background conditions.

Plus, maybe a few entries to our 'Photographing your bokeh' thread

Thanks Terry,

Kind Regards

Brian
    Actually, I HAVE seen a sample of lens perform at 100% based on my tests at Yodobashi.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aha! then will you please share your own general feelings with us?

Cheers Bob

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on your new lens, Terry. Look forward to seeing more shots as soon as you have the chance.

Jono, love the bowl of lemons, beautiful.

I am half thinking I might sacrifice my 14-140 to get this ... would that be insane? I seem to use the long end of the zoom mostly to get in close for "macro type" shots anyway, so it really seems like I might be happy doing that.
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, for leaving you without impressions, before posting, I was trying to sort some picturess out. It didn't help that yesterday started with a phone call from a friend (in a different time zone) at 4:19am. When I finally said "do you know what time it is" she replied "yes, but you are always awake anyway" . That was followed by a 3 hour conference call starting at 5:15am on our 2010 plan and then to work and a dinner until 10:30 PM.

The lens is small and light. It's little shorter than two 20mm pancakes stacked. Anything non-macro in distance is a complete breeze to focus and the lens is fast and sure. Once you get really close, I've have had the focus rack in and out but I also haven't really worked out the working distances and want to work with changing around the size of the focus box.

So far I only have some macro test shots of some flowers around the apartment and some tests of specular hightlights. This weekend I will do more and will try and get some input from Jono and post it all in the new review section.

First up...during the conference call the sun was just beginning to rise. from my bedroom. The lights in the upper left are the Bay Bridge.

Not well exposed and not critically sharp but pretty low light ISO 800 f2.8 1/20

Looking at the bokeh - as Jono's pictures have pointed out, simply lovely.

Ok, lets move to portrait distance (ok not a good joke)

Yes you can get infinity focus and get good detail-excuse color of water user error on making the jpeg.

On my way home from the bridge I was caught in some rush hour traffic so what's a girl to do. Play with lights. So I focused close on the dashboard of the car and then lifted the camera to get the lights from the streets and the cars and see what happened. Yes, I know this needs to go in the "photographing your bokeh" thread...just there is really no subject matter here just trying to see how they rendered.

yellow + red is the car in front of me

same idea at f9

So, I will formalize all of this over the weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at the bokeh - as Jono's pictures have pointed out, simply lovely.
    Yeah, my initial impressions (based on the announced specs, DPR's review, and the price) are rapidly changing. Thank-you Terry, Jono and others for providing some illustrative pics, and first-hand experience.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Terry & Jono,

Thanks for posting your images from this lens. It looks like this lens won't be available in Canada for a while (where I live)... what was your experience like buying it from a vendor in Japan?

Take care,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My general impression of the lens, as much as one can get in a camera shop, is that its detail rendition is pleasing at ong and close distances and that its bokh is very nice to my eye.
    When I evaluate a lens for my personal use, I usually do not critique it for absolute sharpness or microcontrast or whatever, but look to see if the combination of its optical and handling characteristics on-camera generate both results and a shooting experience that I find rewarding.
    I have lots of sharp and soft lenses and they are good for different things.

I would say that the sharpness of this lens both center and in the corners is acceptable for routine use as a mid-tele in the micro four thirds format.
    Close-in, it produces nicely with no obnoxious color-cast with the sharp edge contrasting nicely and set-off by its pleasant bokh. Close-in focusing seems to hunt a bit but locks after sweeping almost full stroke.
    In summary, I would buy this lens and feel pretty good about using it.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that this will be a lens I will add--but also betting that there will be a good bit of input here before I ever have the opportunity to buy one LOL--so time to consider (anticipating there will be more good examples from macro, to portrait to 'general').

Diane

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm rethinking my kit actually 7-14 and the 45mm. Sell the 20 and kit lens. This camera fills a little niche around my main system that I like to explore
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    It looks like this lens won't be available in Canada for a while (where I live)... what was your experience like buying it from a vendor in Japan?

Take care,
    Try Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts (he posts here so you can send him a PM or look for a link to his site in the Commercial Vendor forum. I thought they were going to be available in Canada this week.

My lens was hand carried back from Japan by a friend so the transaction was very simple . There are several vendors that are reliable. I'm just not sure who the best are.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On my way home from the bridge I was caught in some rush hour traffic so what's a girl to do. Play with lights. So I focused close on the dashboard of the car and then lifted the camera to get the lights from the streets and the cars and see what happened. Yes, I know this needs to go in the "photographing your bokeh" thread...just there is really no subject matter here just trying to see how they rendered.

yellow + red is the car in front of me

same idea at f9
    Terry, The OOF highlights show that your sensor needs a thorough clean.

FWIW, I clean the sensor on an average twice a week. While the glass plates in front of the sensor make sure that no dust shows up (since they mush up everything, in general), even when they are there, you can see them when the lens is starting show diffraction and in the highlights.

Again, FWIW, the highlights appear to indicate some coma projected by the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Am I the only one who thinks this shot may need the NSFW warning?

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, IMO coma is not necessarily a bad design characteristic, and can in fact help render "swirly" bokeh. FWIW...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Try Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts (he posts here so you can send him a PM or look for a link to his site in the Commercial Vendor forum. I thought they were going to be available in Canada this week.

My lens was hand carried back from Japan by a friend so the transaction was very simple . There are several vendors that are reliable. I'm just not sure who the best are.
    Thanks. I spoke to my dealer last night (The Camera Store in Calgary) and they had no idea when they would be available in Canada (the same was true with the 7-14mm f/4 as well).

I am getting lens envy now ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this shot may need the NSFW warning?

It must be funky Friday already.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Also, IMO coma is not necessarily a bad design characteristic, and can in fact help render "swirly" bokeh. FWIW...
    I did not say that as something negative.

"Swirly" seems to be a term of endearment here.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm rethinking my kit actually 7-14 and the 45mm. Sell the 20 and kit lens. This camera fills a little niche around my main system that I like to explore
    Here we go again!! Excuse number 1.254a to buy new toys
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man i thought I was up to the C's already better get moving here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been waiting for this day, tracking the shipment (kinda since I can't read Japanese) for the last five days. I got home from work and found that I missed the mailgal. Just a notice to pick up my package tomorrow at the PO.

I took a chance and drove to the PO. Got there as the door was being locked. Luckily my mail carrier had returned from her route and the lens was waiting. $67.40 later (first time I have EVER paid customs on a package from Japan), I had the lens in hand.

I raced out to the farm with the sun setting. Really challenging shooting conditions.....everything was moving, me....the bees.....the flowers. I banged off about 30 shots. Here are the ones that jumped out at me. Straight out of the camera, converted in LR2.5, no PP, converted (and downsized) to JPEG. The four JPG's are stored here. Shooting information is noted.

Comments are much appreciated. (I love this place.)

Regards....Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

Those are excellent. You have a good eye and also, your lens is sharp! I just ordered my 45mm today, it should ship sometime next week... I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come now...

BTW - in the DPR review of this lens, Andy Westlake (the DPR reviewer) recommended that for best results using OIS, mode 1 be used (OIS on all of the time) vs. mode 2 (OIS on when you press the shutter). Can anyone who has this lens confirm this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    BTW - in the DPR review of this lens, Andy Westlake (the DPR reviewer) recommended that for best results using OIS, mode 1 be used (OIS on all of the time) vs. mode 2 (OIS on when you press the shutter). Can anyone who has this lens confirm this?
    RoŽl,

I always leave the camera in mode 1, so no way to compare. I like the OIS in this lens. My subjects always seem to be moving and never static. Even though I have a nice tripod/focusing rail setup, I am shooting handheld 90% of the time.

Earlier this morning, before the wind kicked up, I was out in the same field with the macro-Takumar 50/4....a very nice lens. Shooting handheld and focusing manually was extremely challenging. I shot about 90-100 pics and had about 2-3 shots that were keepers. My percentage was significantly higher with this lens.

Make sure you post your shots when your lens gets in.

Regards.....Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This forum is starting to get invaded by bugs. LOL

Nice shots Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    RoŽl,

I always leave the camera in mode 1, so no way to compare. I like the OIS in this lens. My subjects always seem to be moving and never static. Even though I have a nice tripod/focusing rail setup, I am shooting handheld 90% of the time.

Earlier this morning, before the wind kicked up, I was out in the same field with the macro-Takumar 50/4....a very nice lens. Shooting handheld and focusing manually was extremely challenging. I shot about 90-100 pics and had about 2-3 shots that were keepers. My percentage was significantly higher with this lens.

Make sure you post your shots when your lens gets in.

Regards.....Richard
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for that. When I first received my GF1, I found the following article on the web, so I normally keep my camera in mode 2:

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...ll/megaOIS.asp

I did do some highly non-scientific testing with my 14-45mm and 45-200mm and found the % of keepers was higher with mode 2 vs. mode 1, but not by much. Having said that, I did find it easier to "frame" my subjects in mode 1, especially with the longer focal lengths.

Anyway, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my third day with this lens and I am really liking the versatility. It seems to suit my shooting style. I tend to shoot tighter than wider (if I shoot wide, I shoot UW and I don't have that kind of lens....yet ). Even though f/2.8 isn't super-fast, it is faster than the kit lenses. It is VERY sharp, and will do just fine shooting portraits.

I have to admit, the autofocus is nice. It doesn't hunt...(I leave it on full focus, not limited). As much as I love all my MF lenses, this looks like it will be my "walk around" lens.....instead of the 14-140mm.

Here's a shot at pretty low light.....f/3.5, 1/50sec, ISO100. Uncropped, no PP, converted in LR2.5.

Regards....Richard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lot of people have asked for some portraits with this lens. Since I'm about to torture others it is only fair that I also put one of myself up (uggh). Hopefully Godfrey will fill in with some shots as well. There were a few of us out shooting today and we played a bit of musical lens. We kept switching lenses and bodies so that each person could have their own samples from the 45 macro. So, since this was a test, instead of doing processing on these you are getting them pretty much untouched (yuck). This lens is plenty sharp. While it won't throw the background out of focus like an 85 f1.4 or my yummy Zeiss 135 f1.8 it does provide some very nice subject isolation. From everything I've shot so far this lens has a permanent place in my bag.

100% crop

The background here is probably about 4 feet behind him

100% crop (where I think I slight missed the focus on the eye)

Background across the street

100% crop

Last edited by Terry; 22nd November 2009 at 17:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

portraits - check
    Not a bad one of you, Terry.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Not a bad one of you, Terry.
    -bob
    Thank Godfrey for that. It is not often that I will post one.