Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

Rare photo of Terry . Thought since it was a really nice shot that it deserved the I am over 25 look.

Need to take care of my Mods. around here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I send you the full file can I be 19 again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If I send you the full file can I be 19 again?
    Terry,
    I would take a crack at that.
    I have worked over a number of 19 year olds who wanted to look 19 gain LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Rare photo of Terry . Thought since it was a really nice shot that it deserved the I am over 25 look.
    Hey Guy.....lemme send my pix.....I'll settle for 45!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a shot--- ok with the 14-45mm at 40mm f5.6 handheld. My point is that you can get pretty close with this lens. I believe min. distance is about a foot
    Last edited by mark1958; 22nd November 2009 at 22:11.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Heya Terry!

I like the one you posted of me! Jim's got squinty little eyes, hard to get his eyeballs in sharp focus. ];-)

I also like the one I made of you, although the lighting accentuated some of the usual portrait 'issues'. A little fussing with it and I think it will be very nice indeed.

You're faster than I am ... I'm running a project right now and have about about 1000 exposures to go before I get to today's shooting, so I won't have any of what I shot up until tomorrow sometime. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Heya Terry!

You're faster than I am ... I'm running a project right now and have about about 1000 exposures to go before I get to today's shooting, so I won't have any of what I shot up until tomorrow sometime. :-)
    Perhaps I have no social life . Perhaps I should spend the time getting my tech hooked back up to move from back from a 13" to a 30" display. But portraits can get scary that big.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, Bob worked some magic here so I thought I would repost the first portrait again.

Remember the first kudos for Godfrey for taking a shot that I'm actually willing to post!

Guy now has the file and I pray that I don't end up in the funky color thread. Guy I promise to be nice .....

I decided to spare you and post as thumbnails that can be seen larger...you know the drill if you want them bigger.

Attachment 25136

Attachment 25135

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see you Terry. Nice photo--and if Guy has you end up in the funky color thread--we'll boycott LOL.One of the things I like about the color shot over the b&w (which I like BTW) is how your eyes come to life in the color---

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Feeling devilish this morning. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Feeling devilish this morning. LOL
    I'm a moderater and my delete button works

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea but I can make it so you can't delete my posts.

I'll be nice though, PROMISE.

Better undo my crossed fingers their

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looks super sharp on all of those--the third (B&W) one especially!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I took the liberty of creating an new avatar from that file for you and uploading it to see how you like it. Personally, I think it gets a solid "" !!!

(We can change it back though .)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

gdg ... first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Well I took the liberty of creating an new avatar from that file for you and uploading it to see how you like it. Personally, I think it gets a solid "" !!!
    I like the new Terry avatar ... of course, I have a vested interest. ;-)

Terry asked my initial impressions of the 45 Macro so I wrote them down and posted them to DPR too. Thought I'd post them here as well.

---

I was mostly interested to see how the 45 Macro compared to the Konica 40/1.8 as I've found the Konica to be about my most used lens for a lot of my still life and portrait work in recent months. A lens of similar quality and speed with AF and OIS would be an advantage in my work. While the Konica is a stop and some faster, I tend to use it at f/2.8 most of the time as its wide open performance is a little soft.

There were 58 exposures made with the 45 on my camera, all but 10 of them were wide open. In four cases, I shot exactly the same "mostly planar" scene (+/- the focal length difference) with both the ME45 and the Konica 40 @ f/2.8.

- On center performance from both is just about the same.

- At four-fifths of the way out from center and beyond to the corners , the ME45 holds sharpness with only very small degradation where the Konica goes a little soft.

- I see little evidence of significant rectilinear distortion with either.

[B]note[/B]: Resolution looks very good with both lenses ... of course, without a good reference target, tripod and level to do serious resolution testing, I'm sure that neither lens is performing at its best. Same goes for rectilinear correction.

- The Konica is very well controlled on lateral chromatic aberration, the ME45 shows even less.

- I didn't shoot any high-contrast edges so edge blooming and/or longitudinal chromatic aberration isn't easily apparent with either lens.

- Bokeh at f/2.8 looks pretty similar on both (which is very good: the Konica 40/1.8 has lovely bokeh at f/2.8!)

Overall, the biggest things I noticed in shooting with the two lenses:

- Configured as I have it set up (modified Konica 40 on DMW-MA1 with deep lens hood), the two lenses are about the same size and weight, balance about the same in the hand.

- The manual focusing with the Macro is substantially slower than the Konica 40.

- Field of View and Depth of Field at f/2.8 with either lens is just fine for my portraiture needs. If I need more background blur on this format, going to f/1.8 on the Konica does a tiny bit more but in reality what I really need is a longer lens ... the 70mm f/2 lens is better for that, presuming you have the working room.

- Going to f/1.8 on the Konica helps in lower light helps a good bit, but you give up a lot of sharpness, particularly on edges and corners.

- I didn't make many very close-in shots (I reserve macro testing for a copystand and proper lighting ...) but of what I did, the ME45 performs beautifully for the sort of subjects the focal length is good for.

- Autofocus on the ME45 is convenient and quick at normal subject distances. It does some hunting on complex subjects in the near field ... I didn't try too much but maybe spot focus with a smaller spot would help there. (I usually just jump to MF.) Face detection in portraits worked perfectly, as usual.

- The ME45's OIS proved as I expected: a useful aid in mediocre shooting circumstances. IMO, this is all I expect from any IS system.

Ok, enough initial thoughts ... Back later, I'll post some pictures then.

Terry!

Thanks again for the opportunity to try this lens! It is really a delightful piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thanks for that Godfrey (probably will cost me some money in the end too LOL).

That was a very useful review for me since i shoot quite a lot with the same 40 f/1.8 also.

BTW--like the new avatar also--and kudos to you (Godfrey) for the shot--very very nice. I told Terry I liked the B & W until I saw the color--and it came alive for me with the eyes in color.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like your colour portrait Terry (are your eyes really that stunning colour?)...

Godfrey, you didn't mention the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 is probably one of the cheapest Hex lenses you can find... an incredible bargain.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, Bob worked some magic here so I thought I would repost the first portrait again.

Remember the first kudos for Godfrey for taking a shot that I'm actually willing to post!
    Well - great shot, love the new avatar, and well done to Godfrey for taking it. Great summary Godfrey - you seem to have nailed it's character.

The lens does look like a winner . . I'm finding the IS on the EP1 body to work really well, I rather wish I still had the GF1 to do some proper comparisons.

The trouble around here is that it's blowing a gale, and raining really hard on and off, so it's pretty difficult to get anything meaningful.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well - great shot, love the new avatar, and well done to Godfrey for taking it. Great summary Godfrey - you seem to have nailed it's character.

The lens does look like a winner . . I'm finding the IS on the EP1 body to work really well, I rather wish I still had the GF1 to do some proper comparisons.

The trouble around here is that it's blowing a gale, and raining really hard on and off, so it's pretty difficult to get anything meaningful.
    OT Jono. I watched the video from parts of the UK yesterday with the flooding, extreme weather, a gale as you said. Hope you and all our UK friends are okay.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 23rd November 2009 at 13:13. Reason: pretty bad when you can't type your own name

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I like your colour portrait Terry (are your eyes really that stunning colour?)...

Godfrey, you didn't mention the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 is probably one of the cheapest Hex lenses you can find... an incredible bargain.
    Terry has beautiful eyes, yes. (don't blush, you! ;-)

I made no mention that the ME45 is an expensive lens either, Brian. The cost of the ME45 does not affect my initial impressions of its performance at all, just like the cost of the Konica 40 does not impact its performance at all either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, there's a good condition 40mm f1.8 on ebay here in the UK for £21 at the moment... I really think it's worth pointing out what a bargain this lens represents for 4/3rds and m4/3rds shooters.

Obviously, the PL 45mm f2.8 is a brand new lens, includes complex stabilisation and focusing motors specifically for m4/3rds - it's the only native m4/3rds macro lens available and so we can expect a premium price for now.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Well, there's a good condition 40mm f1.8 on ebay here in the UK for £21 at the moment... I really think it's worth pointing out what a bargain this lens represents for 4/3rds and m4/3rds shooters.
    That's fine. I can see all future discussions of whatever piece of equipment going this way:

"I just bought a remote release for my Olympus E-7600.2F. Gads it was expensive! Did you hear that the Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 was a wonderful bargain? Only €36 on Ebay last week! My gosh, I wish I could get a remote release for that price... "

It's a nice old lens, Brian. They're cheap because, until only recently, nobody wanted the damn things. Same goes for Canon FD lenses.

The price of a Konica 40, in the context of my initial impressions of the ME45/2.8, has no bearing whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been singing the praises of Hexanon lenses for a couple of years... ever since I started converting them for use with the Olympus E-400. I even put a gallery up of examples with all those I've collected here.

I don't remember where I found out about them... probably some random OT mention in a thread somewhere

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,
    I love your new avatar and the color portrait that Godfrey made for you. The color looks much more like you, because it brings out your beautiful eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mango flowering occurs from December to April, but offseason flowering is not uncommon. This burst of inflorescence is early and will bear March fruit.

Cute little buggers....

Uncropped, converted in LR2.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry, nice portrait and nice to put a face to the name. Godfry did a great job taking this gorgeous shot.

Thanks for sharing the pics - certainly a very nice lens to add to the collections.

cheers

ric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: gdg ... first impressions

Terry asked my initial impressions of the 45 Macro so I wrote them down and posted them to DPR too. Thought I'd post them here as well.
    Godfrey, I know you have the ZD 35mm Macro. Is the manual focus-by-wire of the 45mm about the same as the 35, better, or worse?
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBurnett View Post
    Godfrey, I know you have the ZD 35mm Macro. Is the manual focus-by-wire of the 45mm about the same as the 35, better, or worse?
    Better or worse ... I'm not sure.

The 45's focus servo is smoother and quieter.
    They both take quite a bit of movement to go from infinity to closest focus, but I didn't measure it specifically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better or worse ... I'm not sure.

The 45's focus servo is smoother and quieter.
    They both take quite a bit of movement to go from infinity to closest focus, but I didn't measure it specifically.
    Thanks. I realize I wasn't very clear in my post. I do miss the feel of a "mechanical" focus, especially when doing macros. Sometimes with the 35, I turn and turn, and then I think "am I turning the right way?"
    Best regards,
    John.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. I realize I wasn't very clear in my post. I do miss the feel of a "mechanical" focus, especially when doing macros. Sometimes with the 35, I turn and turn, and then I think "am I turning the right way?"
    The 45 is no different. It can be a little disconcerting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.

I've become very comfortable with the focusing feel of the 35 and my other FourThirds lenses. I know what direction to turn them and they always work precisely. Not having an infinity stop was only disconcerting for a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this lens, having been using my Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 and adaptors. WOW, I just love it!! It's so tiny and light compared to the Nikkor and just so easy to use. Here's some shots just out and about yesterday, all GH1 and at f2.8, handheld.

Cherub at bookstore
    Attachment 27977

Crazy Pasta
    Attachment 27976

Drug store ceiling abstract (reminds me of Stargate)
    Attachment 27978

This lens, the 20mm f1.7 and my Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 make such a sweet, light kit, and I have the G1, GH1 and GF1 to which I can mount them. I just adore the whole Micro 4/3s system. I have the 7-14mm on order to complete the kit, but I can see this macro lens getting a whole lot of use.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 12th September 2010 at 12:35.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    I just got this lens, having been using my Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 and adaptors. WOW, I just love it!!
    This lens, the 20mm f1.7 and my Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 make such a sweet, light kit, and I have the G1, GH1 and GF1 to which I can mount them. I just adore the whole Micro 4/3s system. I have the 7-14mm on order to complete the kit, but I can see this macro lens getting a whole lot of use.
    Nice photos!

I agree completely: the 20/1.7, 45/2.8 and a 70-80 mm lens is so nearly a complete kit, add the wide and that's all I want for this camera.

I did a bit of landscapey stuff the other day with the 45 I was borrowing. Hard to see in these small web-rez images, but the detailing is extraordinary when I print to a larger size.

They're the current post on my blog, with a pointer to the full set on flickr.com:
    http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com/fog-at-byxbee-park

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, I looked at the full set. Its a lovely subtle group that I enjoyed.

I think a lot of people are missing the usage others will put the lens to besides macro. I'm not much of a macro shooter--probably better to say I do close and closer ups LOL. But--I also like the lens for more landscape type shots--that was my intention and still is, though I haven't had a chance to do too many.

I think I need to find a good lens in the 70-80 range. I agree--that makes a nice lens set with the 20 and 45--and a wider lens (right now I'm shooting with the Oly 9-18/adaptor--and may continue, at least for awhile).

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos!
    I agree completely: the 20/1.7, 45/2.8 and a 70-80 mm lens is so nearly a complete kit, add the wide and that's all I want for this camera.
    Thanks Godfrey! I'm really pleased with it as a macro solution for the G-series. It's also a great portrait lens... I took some lovely pictures of my daughter (that she doesn't want me to post).

The 7-14mm is going to round out the lens coverage for me although I'm tempted to keep the Oly 9-18mm for shooting video as it has the ability to mount filters.

I'm just about to put my D700 and primes up for sale as I find the u4/3s is all I need these days.

Ciao,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos!

I did a bit of landscapey stuff the other day with the 45 I was borrowing. Hard to see in these small web-rez images, but the detailing is extraordinary when I print to a larger size.

They're the current post on my blog, with a pointer to the full set on flickr.com:
    http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com/fog-at-byxbee-park
    Godfrey,

Beautiful set of "landscapey stuff" with the 45.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simon - congrats on the new lens. It really is quite lovely!

Godfrey - love the foggy landscapey shot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the compliments on "Fog At Byxby Park"!

I've been working out a new methodology for producing my folio sets to improve their quality ... This piece is going to be the first folio set I print with the new workflow. I hope it's as successful as I think it's going to be, I'm supposed to show the folio to a gallery this week. :-)

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am accepting orders for the printed set. It's much nicer in print than on the web! The folio set is twelve prints, 8.5x11 sized for easy handling, plus frontispiece and colophon in a die-cut folio cover of my own design. I'll print these on Hahnemühle Bamboo paper.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some lovely shots in this thread. Here are a few of my favs with the GF-1 and Pana-Leica 45:

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work, Ashwin! 'Tis indeed a wonderful little lens. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of hand-held shots with the 45. I had a half-hour to kill before an appointment so I dropped in to Allen Gardens in Toronto -- an indoor venue. Biggest issue (aside from no tripod and dark day) was the DUST on everything.

Seduction:

Hands Off:

Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like

My PL45 just arrived, and my older son obliged me for a quick sample:

First impressions of the lens are .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow Amin -he is really growing up. Enjoy the lens!

Post Thanks / Like

"A couple of hand-held shots with the 45. I had a half-hour to kill before an appointment so I dropped in to Allen Gardens in Toronto -- an indoor venue."

Not to be too pedantic, but that is Allan Gardens - named after my great-great-grandfather, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Amin -he is really growing up. Enjoy the lens!
    Thanks Terry. When I look back at his pictures from when I joined this forum... he's growing up too fast!

Post Thanks / Like

PL45 at f/8:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive, Amin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine last Friday. Been too busy with work and lacrosse games to go out and find some flowers, but here is one of my son.

Full size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronssmi...7622604770542/

Ron Smith
    Flickr