The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the new 9-18

pellicle

Bill

Well there sure as hell is nothing wrong with that lens!! Great shot...wish it was mine!!
I've pretty much said on my blog that for infinity work I can barely tell it from my 21mm on a full frame, so yes its a dam fine lens :)

but then if you you happen to like "in close wide open" to get as much reduction of DoF as you can with a wide then it has problems with Bokeh

I don't know how much the OM 21mm sold for back in the days, but I'm willing to bet that its really close to or slightly more than this zoom cost today.

So if you want f8 or f11 everything in focus its fantastic (and hey you don't even need the AF for that, I use manual and leave it on 2 m away) but if you like in close and background diffuse its' not the one for you

the above is with a 21mm on full frame ... however even at wide open the 9mm does not render enough shallow field for my liking ... that is not the lens's fault, thats what you get with less than full frame :)

so essentially I like the lens ... it does what nothing else I have can do on 4/3

and 4/3 does what no full frame can do ... not break my back!

Brian Mosley

I think You are righ Terry. On larger picture of new all Oly m43 lenses on left part of 9-18 is visible something that looks like locking mechanism of 14-42.
Definitely looks like a lens locking mechanism to me. A bonus imho, so long as IQ meets or exceeds the ZD 9-18. Looks like a fairly deep filter thread on the front too - although I don't use any on my ZD 9-18... it seems to have a natural UWA polarising effect.

E-520 + ZD 9-18
1/400s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Cheers

Brian

pellicle

deep filter thread on the front too - although I don't use any on my ZD 9-18... it seems to have a natural UWA polarising effect.
skies are obviously an issue for wide angle and polariser, and I can understand peoples cautions in using them but they have other uses such as clearing up reflections off leaves

thus enhancing saturation of the green-ness
or enhancing / controlling reflections on water.

Brian Mosley

skies are obviously an issue for wide angle and polariser, and I can understand peoples cautions in using them but they have other uses such as clearing up reflections off leaves

I see your point - works great for this one. What lens/focal length?

Cheers

Brian

pellicle

Hi

I see your point - works great for this one. What lens/focal length?
well as it happens that one is taken with a Coolpix swivel body on 'wide' (about 28mm) with a polarizer on it ... the swivel bodies have a filter mount :)

it happened to be the only camera I had with me at the time ... which is annoying as its not able to make a nice print ... which brings me to the point I am now at for wanting a 'carry anywere camera' which will make a good print!

I am wondering if the E-P2 will make a better choice than my G1 as it will slip into a pack side netting and the G1 sorta won't

if I pull out a (compact) tripod then its no extra hassle to pop on the accessory finder and if not then just snap n go :)

sangio

thus enhancing saturation of the green-ness
or enhancing / controlling reflections on water.

QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly. Controlling reflections is the main reason I use a polarizer.

I just got the lens home when I took these test images. No artistic merit whatsoever, but they do show what you do with a polarizer.

G1, 9-18 at 9 mm. OOC jpegs resized, but no other PP.

A polarizer also makes a decent ND filter under cloudy conditions.
G1, 14-45 at 14 mm, 1/20 sec handheld, OOC jpeg resized but no other PP
This is Tews Falls in Hamilton, Ontario. Geologists believe that it would have rivalled Niagara Falls in volume just after the last ice age.

cheers
Santo

pellicle

I agree wholeheartedly. Controlling reflections is the main reason I use a polarizer.

I just got the lens home when I took these test images. No artistic merit whatsoever, but they do show what you do with a polarizer.
and that your weather sucks as badly as ours ...