Site Sponsors

Thread: the new 9-18

Post Thanks / Like

the new 9-18

Folks

has anyone notice how small the new 9-18 looks on the promo images relased by Oly?

it looks similar in size to the Oly 14-45 kit ... which is shorter but stubbier than the Panasonic

Looking at the existing 4/3 lens without the adaptor:

it might be possible that a redesign could make it more compact, which would make it more usable than it is now!

I personally don't like the AF on the existing 4/3, but even if they don't improve that aspect heck I'd be much happier with the improvement in size.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: the new 9-18

There is some thought that it is collapsible like the 14-42 zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Folks

has anyone notice how small the new 9-18 looks on the promo images relased by Oly?

it looks similar in size to the Oly 14-45 kit ... which is shorter but stubbier than the Panasonic

Looking at the existing 4/3 lens without the adaptor:

it might be possible that a redesign could make it more compact, which would make it more usable than it is now!

I personally don't like the AF on the existing 4/3, but even if they don't improve that aspect heck I'd be much happier with the improvement in size.
    I have the 4/3rds 9-18 and agree about the AF--esp. after using other lenses, but I don't think I'll replace it. If I would--it would be with the 7-14 I imagine, but since I'm not so much a wide OR tele shooter, I expect I'll stick with the 4/3rds 9-18 I have. When I carry it, its one of several so I end up with my Domke bag anyhow--and it won't much matter whether its smaller for me. For those that will shoot with it more--it certainly could.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Di

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    When I carry it, its one of several so I end up with my Domke bag anyhow--and it won't much matter whether its smaller for me. For those that will shoot with it more--it certainly could.
    yes, feel a little that way, but after lugging my 10D with 12-24 on it around India recently I'm all for the more compact stuff. Depending on the price I'll wear the loss and trade

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    There is some thought that it is collapsible like the 14-42 zoom.
    I think You are righ Terry. On larger picture of new all Oly m43 lenses on left part of 9-18 is visible something that looks like locking mechanism of 14-42.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Di

yes, feel a little that way, but after lugging my 10D with 12-24 on it around India recently I'm all for the more compact stuff. Depending on the price I'll wear the loss and trade

:-)
    LOL--I understand. I have a 5D and a 10D I had converted to IR and have the 12-24 and up until last Winter lugged it everywhere. I'm with you on more compact--but find, even when I carry the WAZ, I shoot less with it than I expect. I may change my mind about selling off the 4/3rds 9-18 (still have to keep my adaptor for my 40 f/1.8) and buying the 7-14 or Oly 9-18, but at this point, my money goes toward the 45 I'm guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DjordjeJ View Post
    I think You are righ Terry. On larger picture of new all Oly m43 lenses on left part of 9-18 is visible something that looks like locking mechanism of 14-42.
    Oh Noooooo

well it that's the case it might preclude using a filter .... what are Oly thinking? Shooting themselves in the foot?

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Noooooo

well it that's the case it might preclude using a filter .... what are Oly thinking? Shooting themselves in the foot?
    Golly, pellicle, do you really need filters when Olympus already provides you with Art Filters?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Noooooo

I use filter on 14-42. I assume it would be possible on 9-18 too. Although CPL are not so good on UWA.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a cool lens if it's that small. Hopefully the price is lower than the 7-14mm, and it would be worth giving up the extra 2mm on the wide end.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the bigger picture:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0911/...ens/lenses.jpg

Also, it is visible, that it uses 52mm filter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pellicle, The Oly-D 17/2.8 plus the Ricoh GW-1 0.75X combo I use is more compact, lighter and performs very well.

The 14-42 Oly-D zoom is (IMO) optically better than the Pana zoom. But this compactness craze had driven Olympus to make it unwieldy which makes it feel cheap. Plus, they also appear think that a lens hood is not necessary.

Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    ...The 14-42 Oly-D zoom is (IMO) optically better than the Pana zoom...
    oh, I look and look, my assessment is different ...
    (dpreview.com/lensreviews 14-45 vs 14-42)

However - they told me, the Dutchmen have a different view than the Germans...

...at least in soccer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lupo, The link you give shows that dp revs recorded the Pana zoom doing better than the G1 sensor from 14mm to ~25mm. How would that make it a better lens?

(May be they will change the charts/numbers like they did with the 20/1.7? They are full of BS.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    They are full of BS.)
    well, sure ... they are on the path to becomming a one stop brochure shop

read here if you didn't already know :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the bigger picture:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0911/...ens/lenses.jpg

Also, it is visible, that it uses 52mm filter.

Ironically, I received my Oly 9-18 with adaptor on the same day the Oly m4/3 version was announced. The main reason I purchased it was for the ability to use filters. I have another week to return it for a full refund and wait for the new version to become available; which could be another 6 - 7 months. I keep waffling on this, so I'll probably keep it and wait to see how good the new version is optically. The collapsible design does make me a bit wary; but it sure looks nice and compact.....

Decisions, decisions......

regards
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    I received my Oly 9-18 with adaptor on the same day the Oly m4/3 version was announced. The main reason I purchased it was for the ability to use filters. I have another week to return it for a full refund and wait for the new version to become available;
    well let us know what you think of it ... like its AF and such ... what are you using it on?

personally I think the bokeh of the 9-18 is poor

compared to say that of a 21mm on full frame

which could be another 6 - 7 months. I keep waffling on this, so I'll probably keep it and wait to see how good the new version is optically. The collapsible design does make me a bit wary; but it sure looks nice and compact.....
    me too ... althought the filter mount seems to be there ... have to wait n see

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

well let us know what you think of it ... like its AF and such ... what are you using it on?

personally I think the bokeh of the 9-18 is poor

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/file...0248_small.jpg
    compared to say that of a 21mm on full frame

me too ... althought the filter mount seems to be there ... have to wait n see

Hi:

I'm using this lens with my G1. I've only had it for a few days, so my impressions are still very preliminary.

Balance is ok on the G1, a bit large but not as heavy as it looks.

Image quality looks to be very good. The only issue I have so far is that it flares quite readily if there's a bright area in the scene, but that seems to be common for this type of lens.

AF speed is ok in normal light. It's actually a bit faster than my friends D90 and kit zoom in live view mode, but not as fast as either of the Pana kit zooms. I does squeak a lot when focussing though.

It works well with a polarizer, but you really have to watch the skies. I generally avoid a polarizer altogether if there's a lot of sky in the scene.

Bokeh? what bokeh? This lens doesn't have any....

I've been looking at the 7-14 mm image thread with great interest. Thankfully, my panoramic head has enough adjustment room to accommodate this lens, so I can stitch two or three images together if I want a wider FOV. That should keep me from buying the 7-14, for now.

cheers
    Santo

The attached is an OOC jpeg resized for posting. No other PP

Post Thanks / Like

Hi:

I'm using this lens with my G1. I've only had it for a few days, so my impressions are still very preliminary.

Balance is ok on the G1, a bit large but not as heavy as it looks.

Image quality looks to be very good. The only issue I have so far is that it flares quite readily if there's a bright area in the scene, but that seems to be common for this type of lens.

AF speed is ok in normal light. It's actually a bit faster than my friends D90 and kit zoom in live view mode, but not as fast as either of the Pana kit zooms. I does squeak a lot when focussing though.

It works well with a polarizer, but you really have to watch the skies. I generally avoid a polarizer altogether if there's a lot of sky in the scene.

Bokeh? what bokeh? This lens doesn't have any....

I've been looking at the 7-14 mm image thread with great interest. Thankfully, my panoramic head has enough adjustment room to accommodate this lens, so I can stitch two or three images together if I want a wider FOV. That should keep me from buying the 7-14, for now.

cheers
    Santo

The attached is an OOC jpeg resized for posting. No other PP
    Well there sure as hell is nothing wrong with that lens!! Great shot...wish it was mine!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do the Oly and Panny m4/3 lenses work properly in all respects on either body? Full autofocus etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Do the Oly and Panny m4/3 lenses work properly in all respects on either body? Full autofocus etc?
    as you may have noticed, I'm using the Oly lens on the Panny body ... it seems to work as described in the panasonic link.

I haven't tried it much on the real 4/3 camera ...

Post Thanks / Like

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Well there sure as hell is nothing wrong with that lens!! Great shot...wish it was mine!!
    I've pretty much said on my blog that for infinity work I can barely tell it from my 21mm on a full frame, so yes its a dam fine lens :-)

but then if you you happen to like "in close wide open" to get as much reduction of DoF as you can with a wide then it has problems with Bokeh

I don't know how much the OM 21mm sold for back in the days, but I'm willing to bet that its really close to or slightly more than this zoom cost today.

So if you want f8 or f11 everything in focus its fantastic (and hey you don't even need the AF for that, I use manual and leave it on 2 m away) but if you like in close and background diffuse its' not the one for you

the above is with a 21mm on full frame ... however even at wide open the 9mm does not render enough shallow field for my liking ... that is not the lens's fault, thats what you get with less than full frame :-)

so essentially I like the lens ... it does what nothing else I have can do on 4/3

and 4/3 does what no full frame can do ... not break my back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely looks like a lens locking mechanism to me. A bonus imho, so long as IQ meets or exceeds the ZD 9-18. Looks like a fairly deep filter thread on the front too - although I don't use any on my ZD 9-18... it seems to have a natural UWA polarising effect.

E-520 + ZD 9-18
    1/400s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    deep filter thread on the front too - although I don't use any on my ZD 9-18... it seems to have a natural UWA polarising effect.
    skies are obviously an issue for wide angle and polariser, and I can understand peoples cautions in using them but they have other uses such as clearing up reflections off leaves

thus enhancing saturation of the green-ness
    or enhancing / controlling reflections on water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

skies are obviously an issue for wide angle and polariser, and I can understand peoples cautions in using them but they have other uses such as clearing up reflections off leaves

I see your point - works great for this one. What lens/focal length?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I see your point - works great for this one. What lens/focal length?
    well as it happens that one is taken with a Coolpix swivel body on 'wide' (about 28mm) with a polarizer on it ... the swivel bodies have a filter mount :-)

it happened to be the only camera I had with me at the time ... which is annoying as its not able to make a nice print ... which brings me to the point I am now at for wanting a 'carry anywere camera' which will make a good print!

I am wondering if the E-P2 will make a better choice than my G1 as it will slip into a pack side netting and the G1 sorta won't

if I pull out a (compact) tripod then its no extra hassle to pop on the accessory finder and if not then just snap n go :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Thanks Bill:

The optical quality of this lens is quite good.

cheers
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=pellicle;153902]skies are obviously an issue for wide angle and polariser, and I can understand peoples cautions in using them but they have other uses such as clearing up reflections off leaves

thus enhancing saturation of the green-ness
    or enhancing / controlling reflections on water.

QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly. Controlling reflections is the main reason I use a polarizer.

I just got the lens home when I took these test images. No artistic merit whatsoever, but they do show what you do with a polarizer.

G1, 9-18 at 9 mm. OOC jpegs resized, but no other PP.

A polarizer also makes a decent ND filter under cloudy conditions.
    G1, 14-45 at 14 mm, 1/20 sec handheld, OOC jpeg resized but no other PP
    This is Tews Falls in Hamilton, Ontario. Geologists believe that it would have rivalled Niagara Falls in volume just after the last ice age.

cheers
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

I agree wholeheartedly. Controlling reflections is the main reason I use a polarizer.

I just got the lens home when I took these test images. No artistic merit whatsoever, but they do show what you do with a polarizer.
    and that your weather sucks as badly as ours ...