The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

V

Vivek

The pepper shot was not cropped.

(neither did I crop the tick shot)

D

Dave Abbott

Ron, Welcome and thanks for the shots.

I had a 50mm and 100mm Minolta macro (bellows) lenses a while ago (part traded them for a set of Luminars). They are great.

Unlike you, I like short WD lenses (especially for still subjects).

Jerry, I thought I will also take my latest macro lens for a spin.;)

Here is a test shot of a black pepper (Piper nigrum), the very thing that was the center of the spice trade.

Piper nigrum, ~2.5X, G1, reversed Pana 20/1.7, f/11, 1/6s.

Brilliant idea, Vivek

It took me almost two days to figure out how you got the Reversed 20/1.7
stopped down to f11.

WD is very short - maybe 25 - 30mm.

Dave

btrancho

Brilliant idea, Vivek

stopped down to f11.

Dave
Dave and/or Vivek -

I just logged in to post this very question. How did you you get it to stop down?

I'd really appreciate some help with this.

EDIT - 20 minutes later -
Okay, I only needed to stop and think for a few minutes to answer my own question...

- Set the 20/1.7 to f/11
- Press & hold Shutter Speed Effect button
- remove lens

Now all I need is a reverse macro adapter:thumbs:

Last edited:
D

Dave Abbott

Bob, Here's how I did it (on my GF1):-

1) Fit lens normally and turn power on.

2) In manual mode select reqd. aperture

3) Press and hold DOF Preview button.

4) Remove Lens

Voila! - it stays at the selected aperture

Dave

V

Vivek

stopped down to f11.

Dave
Hi Dave!

Welcome.

Not that hard to figure out and isn't that challenging as some other things. I did not want to take the fun out of the process.;)

Focus is also frozen as Bob or you describe how to do it.

WD (from the tip of the lens to the subject- as I measure it) is shorter than the camera registry. A lens rear cap with a hole in the middle serves well as a hood.

This lens is sharper than the Oly-D 17/2.8 reversed.

JerryMK

By seeing the black peppers I was curious what my setup(s) would do. So I did a shooting with 1 black peppercorn as my model :). These are the results (all pictures uncropped):

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend + Canon 250D + Canon 500D

G1 FD Bellows full extend Canon 50mm f1.4

O yes, because my model did not had that much time :) all these were shot handheld, I was just curious about the magnification level.

madmaxmedia

This is very reminiscent of Horton Hears a Who!

Next I want to see a nice full frame shot of the debris that is stuck in the recesses of the peppercorn.

T

turbo

Macro Areial Photography

Landscape photos from 2-3cm.

Zeiss Luminar 25mm. Image magnification 1:1.6

Pecan shell.

Maple leaf.

White garden stone.

bensonga

Really some great macro shots here....inspires me to go even closer in the future! I'm afraid I don't have anything that would come close to 1x magnification. Now I've got a target to shoot for! :D

Gary

V

Vivek

Finding the "right target" is always a challenge.

Here are two shots of a baby Aphid which was ~0.5mm (length wise). A dead mature Aphid next to the live baby.

35mm Macro Nikkor

Upclose on its own.

16mm Zeiss Luminar

Last edited:

JerryMK

Wow!!! Respect!!! what great sharp and clear shots of such a tiny object! I know from experience you can hardly (not) see them with your own eyes :) So only the spot is a great achievement.

Osmoglossum pulchellum orchid - Leica Elmarit 60mm/2.8 on Panasonic G1
ISO=100 - Developed in Raw Therapee - Resized in gimp

photoSmart42

Finally got my RJ adapter modified to work with the older FD/FL lenses! What a nightmare! After buying a second RJ adapter (first one got lost in the mail back to China for a return - $100 down the drain there...) I still had to purchase an FL 2x and swap the adapter plate, then modify it to match the proper clocking. Oh well.

Anyway, finally took my first macro shot with the G1 and the Tokina lens I bought a few months back. It's a pretty blue rock (azurite?) I bought in the art village down the street a few days ago. Here it is:

Go easy on me =). I definitely need a focusing rail as quite a few of the shots I took were blurry, and I need some bigger lights to take faster shutter speed shots. I have to say this is a really nice lens, and I think I'll be very happy with it in the long run. Love the narrow depth of focus!

My next step is to attempt a composite image of the same rock to capture the entire piece in focus. That, and I need to come up with a nice digital frame in PS with a cool sig so I can try and be just like the rest of you pros whose photos I love here =).

Very nice photo, thanks for sharing the story, too.

My next step is to attempt a composite image of the same rock to capture the entire piece in focus. That, and I need to come up with a nice digital frame in PS with a cool sig so I can try and be just like the rest of you pros whose photos I love here =).
I am on the lookout for such a technique, too, but have not yet had the time to study it. There are a lot of stacked shots and a lively discussion on

http://www.photomacrography.net/

Perhaps you will find some useful information there.

Cheers
Peter

photoSmart42

Very nice photo, thanks for sharing the story, too.

I am on the lookout for such a technique, too, but have not yet had the time to study it. There are a lot of stacked shots and a lively discussion on

http://www.photomacrography.net/

Perhaps you will find some useful information there.

Cheers
Peter
Thanks, Peter! I've been studying that site for the past few months as well, and definitely getting a bunch of ideas for stacked shots from them, as well as from the rest of the web. I'll post my results once I get a successful stack going. Another reason for a focusing rail I can fine-tune in small increments. I think there are some on eBay that I'll look at, but I welcome any suggestions on that.