The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

JGH

Klythawk those are great pics. Really like the second, can see all the hairs. Either you are very quick or the fly was dozy. I cant seem to get the things to stay in one place to catch great pics like those. I remember when i was young staying with my grandparents who had a mint plant in there garden. Flys love it, they are so pre-occupied that you can litrally pick them off the plant by their wings. I had endless fun feeding them to spiders (which i hate) by throwing them into the webs. A bit cruel but when your 10 its great fun.

J

K

klythawk

Thanks Raf and JGH for the kind comments.

@JGH, i'm far from being fast, just the opposite really. It was a warm Saturday afternoon and i think the fly's were doing a bit of sunbathing. :)

John.

JGH

Went out yesterday afternoon with my wife to the forest (no naughties), it was supposed to be a relaxing stroll & an oppotunity to use my new macro lens.
BUT.... we were dive bombed by hundreds of screaming mosquitos (re-incarnated Stuka pilots) so our walk turned into a run to get out of the forest, so no pics.... not happy...

J

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Went out yesterday afternoon with my wife to the forest (no naughties), it was supposed to be a relaxing stroll & an oppotunity to use my new macro lens.
BUT.... we were dive bombed by hundreds of screaming mosquitos (re-incarnated Stuka pilots) so our walk turned into a run to get out of the forest, so no pics.... not happy...

J
I hear macro shots of mosquitoes biting your arm are pretty awesome! :D Time to sacrifice for your art I think =).

JGH

I hear macro shots of mosquitoes biting your arm are pretty awesome! :D Time to sacrifice for your art I think =).
:D I dont think thats going to happen photoSmart42. However....if the wife doesn't mind the sacrifice for the cause....who knows !!!!! :D

J

JGH

Evening.
We had a big thunderstorm last night. It was needed, it was 36°c during the day so the storm cleared the air. I managed to get my first lightning pic, its not great but you cant predict lightning and it was a handheld shot (you can see it if you follow the photobucket link), Anyway i took one of the raindrops on my balcony windows, please excuse the slight fuzziness, i was in total darkness on my balcony (watching the lightning) and found it a tad difficult to focus spot on.

1600 ISO 1/5 sec. ( i will try harder next time)

Thanks J.

JGH

Hi all,
Thought i better post something on here as the macro thread seems to be being left behind.
I recently got the olympus EX-25, wanted to see just how close i can get.
Here are a few, one was with the 35mm macro and EX25 the other two were with the 40-150mm kit lens at a working distance of about 65cm. The working distance with the 35mm is stupidly small, i mean i was literally 1cm away for the bee shot and some others i took, well the bee was more or less in the lense!!
Im not one for nature macro photography but it was a sunny day and i was in the garden and thought "what the hell lets give it a go".
On the whole im pleased with the EX25, the next challenge (apart from getting my wife to agree to more camera gear) is to light subjects when using the EX25.

Small Spiders.
This was tricky as it was windy and focusing was a problem. ISO 200 1/30th F22 142mm 40-150mm + EX25

Collection Time
Ok, so its the back end. He was a fast little thing, he didn't hang around. ISO 200 1/250th F5.6 110mm 40-150mm + EX25

Honey Bee 2
This is not the live one pictured earlier. This one landed on the table and just died !!!! ISO 100 1/125th F16 35mm 35mm macro + EX25

Thanks & keep posting, macro is one of the best aspects of photography.

J :salute:

JGH

Oh dear, it seems im the only one having fun with my macro lens at the moment. Well i was experimenting again and thought i would try and light the shots with a couple of single LED torches and highlighter pen lids for a splash of colour.

ISO-100 5sec F18 35mm + EX25

ISO-100 1.3sec F18 35mm + EX25

ISO-100 10sec F18 35mm + EX25

ISO-100 1.6sec F18 35mm + EX25

First image is the thumbwheel on a disposible lighter
Second= Nylon brushes of an Oral B electric toothbrush head.
Third= Blade of a cheese knife (colour was painted with the pen lid over the LED bulb)
Forth= A feather. ( the shaft is only 1mm thick)

Thanks..

J

JGH

Hi Michiel,
WOW !!! Fantastic, live ones.... and their flying too. (except the couple having some...are they 18?) I can only photograph dead ones. How did you do it?
Could you tell us your setup and method please.
Im really impressed. Great photos.

Thanks J

M5-Guy

First off
This is a really fascinating thread...many assume images.
I just got a 3 tube extension tube set and put all 3 tubes plus the camera adapters with my 50mm lens... the 3 tubes = 49mm plus whatever the adapters at either end add.

So I guess it is 1:1 or close, but, then a 2x crop senor would only record 1/2 that. So the FOV = 2:1, if I understand extensions correctly, that if the extension equals the Focal Length it is a 1:1 Ratio. regardless of the sensor, but the FOV may increase the effective mag ratio because of the crop factor.

Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 C-Sonnar T* with 3 extension tubes

My 1st image is from a copper art-craft of a little bate shop...
The "can" of soda is 1cm tall, and the front lens was 3" from the can.
I shot at f/16 and fine tuned with the focus ring after I moved the thing back and forth a few times to get it real close in sharpness.
I used a tripod for a 1.6s exposure.
All I did is straighten the verticals up, no other crop... I shot raw in 3:2 Ratio

any words of wisdom are welcome.

photoSmart42

...but the FOV may increase the effective mag ratio because of the crop factor.
No, they cancel each other out. 1:1 remains 1:1 regardless of sensor size, you just end up seeing more or less of the image depending on the relative sensor size. If you image a measuring tape with your MFT camera and a 1:1 lens, you should see just about 18mm of the tape horizontally (I say just about because on the GH1 that's affected by the aspect ratio). On a FF camera, that same 1:1 lens allows you to see 36mm of that same tape.

P.S. Nice shot! Very sharp!

M5-Guy

No, they cancel each other out. 1:1 remains 1:1 regardless of sensor size, you just end up seeing more or less of the image depending on the relative sensor size. If you image a measuring tape with your MFT camera and a 1:1 lens, you should see just about 18mm of the tape horizontally (I say just about because on the GH1 that's affected by the aspect ratio). On a FF camera, that same 1:1 lens allows you to see 36mm of that same tape.

P.S. Nice shot! Very sharp!
Yeah, what you said... I just see less of a 1:1 image....
Thanks..