The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel,
WOW !!! Fantastic, live ones.... and their flying too. (except the couple having some...are they 18?) I can only photograph dead ones. How did you do it?
Could you tell us your setup and method please.
Im really impressed. Great photos.

Thanks J
Thanks J !

For these shots I used the G1 + Vivitar Macro 100/2.5 with a FD mount.
Done out of hand and no extra lights. You waste a lot of shots of course that way.
In the - Dragonflies and damselflies thread - I used a Canon FD 200/4 Macro lens on a tripod.
Gives you room to close down the aperture for more DOF and you almost don't waste shots as long they sit still.
Like this one for example.

Michiel

JGH

Hi All,
Now that i have my E520 back from olympus after the focus was fixed i have been setting up all sorts of shots.
Heres a couple shot at different focal points. These are the tiny weeny gold pins on a 2.66GHZ celeron CPU that used to be in my PC.

Both at ISO400 180/sec F22 35mm+EX25

Thanks J :salute:

Tesselator

Sigma 70-300 Macro + TC2x

Switching to the Sigma 400/5.6 with a close-up filter

Tamron 28-80mm F/3.8 Aspherical (not really a great lens)

-=> Enjoy! <=-

I'm fairly sure all these samples are with the lenses wide open BTW.

Tesselator

And finally this thing:

The Zeiss Jena Biotar 50/2 on the Asahi Bellows II Showing 100% crops of Japanese Money:

Magnification Ratio = ~ 1:1

Magnification Ratio = ~ 2:1

Magnification Ratio = ~ 3:1

Bellows are fun!

sinwen

Oh dear, it seems im the only one having fun with my macro lens at the moment. Well i was experimenting again and thought i would try and light the shots with a couple of single LED torches and highlighter pen lids for a splash of colour.

ISO-100 5sec F18 35mm + EX25

J
Would you mind to tell us what EX25 is ?
Thanks

MRfanny

My first macro, Zeiss 85mm f1.4 + extension tubes, lit up with led lights. Looking forward to posting more up over the coming holidays.

JGH

HI All, Ok so this is a shot to death subject & its my first attempt which i was quite pleased with so i thought i would share a couple.
Yes its the "drop of water shot". They are not great as focusing was a challenge as the depth of field was fairly narrow (which was strange as i was at F8) Lit from behind and with 1 flash with a Spearmint Tic Tac box jammed between the flash and the homemade gridspot to give a greenie/blue cast.
I enjoyed this little experiment & took 826 pics !!! Timing was the main issue as i had so many shots that were all... well... the same, altering the timing was not so easy as you sort of get into a rythem. Anyway i will try this again when i get my E30 and see if a faster that 1/4000 shutter speed will improve on these.

ISO-400 F7.1 1/2500sec 35MM Macro lens @35mm. Looks a bit rude this...

ISO-200 F8 1/4000sec 40-150mm+EX25 @ 86mm

Thanks J
:salute:

JGH

Hi All,
Its been 6 months since i posted on this thread so i thought i should keep it topped up. Just 2 images, not the sharpest or technically excellent but i had fun taking them and thats what matters to me.
I was inspired by looking at Guy Mancusso's web site and seeing how he made ordinary objects look interesting and sometimes sexy. So i gave it a go myself. These are of the inside of a Sony Walkman (an old one) and i used 3 single LED torches with some strobist colour gels over them.
The exposure times were 20s & 13s @ F22 iso 200, NR was on low but no noise filter so they are a tad grainy.

Thanks

J :salute:

JGH

Actually, looking at them agian they are not really grainy just kinda soft. Will have to try harder next time.

J

jrob

I recently purchased the GF2 (with the standard 14-42mm lens kit) for my wife as a wedding present and she has expressed an interest in macro photography/lenses and I was thinking of getting her something for Christmas.

While I was looking up info on the Panasonic 45mm Macro F2.8 Lens, I came across the below thread (which lead me to this one) :

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24666
According to Vivek (BTW Where is he??) your 20mm makes a perfect macro when turned around with a reverse macro ring. Cheap solution!
Search on the forum and you will find a thread about it.

Michiel
I had originally planned on getting her the 20mm pancake as I thought it would make a nice compact lens that’s good in low light and work well for portraits/the pets/dinners out with friends etc (which she also shoots). But if she indeed has an interest in macro photography I’d love to encourage her and get her the best gear for the best results (which I didn’t think the 20mm would be in this case). Is the 45mm Macro the best choice for macro photography? Is there something cheaper (it is a tad pricey). Is there something announced that I should wait for?

If this reverse ring thing is a a good, inexpensive way to get dual use out of the 20mm (which is a far cheaper lens) and get her great macro results, I'd REALLY appreciate some specific instructions on what to purchase as the links on the first page or two of the thread seem to be dead :( I tried looking up a step up ring from 46mm-52mm and reverse adapter on BH and there were *ahem* a "few" options. So some specific info would be a HUGE help.

I’m far from a pro so I’m hoping you fine, knowledgeable folk can help me!

Thanks!

dick

I recently purchased the GF2 (with the standard 14-42mm lens kit) for my wife as a wedding present and she has expressed an interest in macro
Thanks!
I have the GF2 and GH2 with 20mm, 14-140 and 14-42.

I have the Fotodiox adapter, and I intend to use it with my micro-nikor 200mm IF, which would probably be expensive if you could find one.

You could look out on eBay for a leica, nikon, etc lens.

G

gardenersassistant

After many months of deliberation, and some help along the way from you good people here, I have finally made the leap from bridge camera to G3, mainly for close-ups. I have enjoyed lurking here for quite a while now and so it seems fitting to contribute some pictures now that I can.

It is early days yet with my new equipment. My capture technique is still pretty hit and miss. The post processing is different too (and needs to be a great deal milder). But here are a few of my early learning efforts so far.

Thank you for all your inspiration and information.

For now I will be using the Raynox 150 and 250 and Canon 500D close-up lenses on the 45-200. The first of these images was captured using the 500D or 150 on the 14-42 kit lens before the 45-200 arrived. The others used the 500D or 150 on the 45-200. All used available light. Captures were JPEG. Post processing was done in CS2.

1. ISO 800, f/16, 1/125 sec

0371 22 2011_08_14 P1000497 PS1 CrThrLeDf4x30LebCu900hSS32x0.3 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

2. ISO 200, f/5, 1/200 sec

0378 01a 2011_08_22 P1050227 PS1a ClCrLetDf7x30LebExCuSaHi900hSS52x0.3 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

3. ISO 200, f/9, 1/200 sec

0373 13 2011_08_23 P1050785 Dahlia 'Twining's After Eight' PS1 BuLetDf4x30900hSS19x0.3 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

4. 400, f/22, 1/4 sec

0381 09 2011_08_30 P1100513 PS1 CrClLebDf7x30ExCu900hSS72x0.3 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

5. ISO 800, f/14, 1/320 sec

0382 14 2011_09_01 P1110887 PS1 CrDf7x30ExCu900hSS31x0.5 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

6. ISO 200, f/9, 1/200 sec

0373 26 2011_08_23 P1050933 PS1 CrDf4x30Leb900hSs58x0.3 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

JGH

Hi All, Was playing around today and although this technically isn't a Macro shot, it is a close up shot. Shot with the E520 with 50-200mm @ 200mm F22.
Not quite what i was after as lighting this proved beyond my abilitys this morning. Maybe next time.

J. :salute: