Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kimberley B.C. Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...x1-field.shtml

    Michael R. feels that both cameras are on par up to and including ISO 8oo

    Best Regards

    Peter

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    What much is there to compare? Completely different cameras.

    What next compare- a disposable camera with a system camera?

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What much is there to compare? Completely different cameras.

    What next compare- a disposable camera with a system camera?
    Boy, a little snippy this morning/afternoon.

    There seems to be a huge overlap in the potential buyers for these two cameras which, to me, makes it completely logical that they be compared. If you use the GF1 with only the 20mm lens please explain why they are completely different cameras?
    Last edited by Terry; 12th November 2009 at 08:14.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Even by choice if one restricts to only one lens- say an M6 and a 35/2 Summicron, it still is a system camera with many possibilities/options and a disposable camera with a fixed lens would not be comparable simply because of the lack of potential.

    OTOH, if it is a about a market. I do not have a clue.

    [With the GF-1, one can always buy the "optional" EVF and make it even more useful. One can add system flashes too. It is all in the Panasonic website.]

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post

    There seems to be a huge overlap in the potential buyers for these two cameras which, to me, makes it completely logical that they be compared. If you use the GF1 with only the 20mm lens please explain why they are completely different cameras?
    Last edited by Vivek; 12th November 2009 at 08:23.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Even by choice if one restricts to only one lens- say an M6 and a 35/2 Summicron, it still is a system camera with many possibilities/options and a disposable camera with a fixed lens would not be comparable simply because of the lack of potential.

    OTOH, if it is a about a market. I do not have a clue.

    [With the GF-1, one can always buy the "optional" EVF and make it even more useful. One can add system flashes too. It is all in the Panasonic website.]
    Yes, all of which accrue to the pro side of the GF1 vs the X1 but my point was at the heart of it if you are looking for a relatively compact camera with good IQ and better DOF control than you can get from a small sensor both qualify.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kimberley B.C. Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What much is there to compare? Completely different cameras.

    What next compare- a disposable camera with a system camera?
    The comparison is mostly based on image quality up to and including ISO 800, in addition to price and flexability

    Anyone with some knowledge of the rule of thirds and knows how to hold a camera still, can get some good images, in other words , photography is not rocket science , more so an artistic endeavor.

    Therefore, imo, it is perfectly acceptable to compare totally different cameras on the basis of image quality.
    And what is so different anyway?.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    The lack of interchangeable lenses is a non starter for me. The iso 1600 from the leica look amazingly good and I think the leica controls are better designed. MR made a comment about the AF as well, which i think is extremely good with the GF1.

  8. #8
    Senior Member peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tysons Corner, Virginia
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    The GF1 with the 20mm f1.7 lens and optical finder* will provide equal if not better output at ISO 800 than the X1 which has lower noise at 1600 or 3200 (which you'd need the larger sensor for in the first place anyways).

    Compared with the AF on the GF1 (and G1 and GH1) the X1 AF is a joke.

    Leica's definition of IS is not what the rest of the photographic world thinks (and they had access to Panasonic's approach, too).

    If you really want Leitz glass on the Lumix G's you can still get it. And, as good as the Elmarit (design) appears to be, they'll be equal if not better than the optic on the X1.

    *I feel no need to get the GF1 with the EVF since with the EVF the GF1 is about the same size as the G1 for me. And compared to the G1's superb EVF the external EVF on the GF1 is like the AF on the X1! (And personally since I'd want an EVF on the GF1 and since the super HD EVF of the EP-2 won't work on it, I've decided to stick with my G1 and get the 20mm f1.7 which will create a package that I don't think will be all that much larger than the GF1. I end up spending $400 instead of $900.)
    Last edited by peterb; 12th November 2009 at 09:19.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Seems like any ISO advantage the X1 has over the GF1 is lost from having a slower f2.8 lens (a stop and a half compared to the 20mm 1.7).

    To me the X1 has very few advantages over the GF1. Still, I'm sure a small group of people will revel in those differences. I see the X1 having an appeal similar to the way Sigma's DP1 or DP2 are truly loved by some.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Seems like any ISO advantage the X1 has over the GF1 is lost from having a slower f2.8 lens (a stop and a half compared to the 20mm 1.7).

    To me the X1 has very few advantages over the GF1. Still, I'm sure a small group of people will revel in those differences. I see the X1 having an appeal similar to the way Sigma's DP1 or DP2 are truly loved by some.
    Guilty as charged!

  11. #11
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    What was more telling was the MR went so far as to say that it would not be a street shooters camera.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Strange, Sean Reid's review (which is so extensive, I haven't made the time to read it all carefully) gives the impression the camera would be useable for street shooting.

    I'm looking forward to seeing users here get their hands on it.

    Cheers

    Brian

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    *I feel no need to get the GF1 with the EVF since with the EVF the GF1 is about the same size as the G1 for me. And compared to the G1's superb EVF the external EVF on the GF1 is like the AF on the X1! (And personally since I'd want an EVF on the GF1 and since the super HD EVF of the EP-2 won't work on it, I've decided to stick with my G1 and get the 20mm f1.7 which will create a package that I don't think will be all that much larger than the GF1. I end up spending $400 instead of $900.)
    You and me.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Even though technically it is taller with the EVF, the GF1 still feels and handles like a smaller camera than the G1. If I had to chose between the two, I would still have a G1/GH1 as my first "form factor" but for a two body system, the two cameras compliment each other very well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Even though technically it is taller with the EVF, the GF1 still feels and handles like a smaller camera than the G1. If I had to chose between the two, I would still have a G1/GH1 as my first "form factor" but for a two body system, the two cameras compliment each other very well.

    I was going to say the same. When you sit the 2 side by side, you still get a smaller feeling from the GF1 with the EVF---BUT--if I could only have one, G1 hands down.

    I love having both--use them individually or together with 2 lenses---as Terry says, they compliment each other very well.

    Diane

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    You Girls
    Will always agree . . . but the true Nirvana is an EP1 with the 20 f1.7 . . . . .or is that an M9 with a 28 'cron?

    EVFs stink (it's a well known fact - proved incontrovertibly by the laws of physics).

    Frivolity aside, I think the X1 is interesting. Sean Reid thought it was good for street because of the manual (zone) focusing . . . Michael Reichman thought it wasn't because the AF was too slow.

    On the other hand, I find it hard to see why it would be better than an EP1 with the 20 f1.7 (in body IS and better high ISO than the G cameras).

    erm . .. am I being contentious?

    Just this guy you know

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    On the other hand, I find it hard to see why it would be better than an EP1 with the 20 f1.7 (in body IS and better high ISO than the G cameras).

    erm . .. am I being contentious?
    You aren't being contentious IF you agree to actually match ISOs. It has been pretty well shown that the G1 understates the ISO. If you match exposures with the GF1 and E-P1 holding ISO and Aperture constant GF1 will use a faster shutter speed. I know that Sean is planning to test this in his GF1 and X1 reviews.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    I'm with the "Girl's Club" on this. G1/GF1 does it for me, but if I could only have one, I'd keep the G1. Sadly, EP1 did not work for me because I need an EVF. That said, I have no loyalty to Panasonic, Olympus or Leica, so I'm open to anything new. X1 just does not interest me at that price point.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    You aren't being contentious IF you agree to actually match ISOs. It has been pretty well shown that the G1 understates the ISO. If you match exposures with the GF1 and E-P1 holding ISO and Aperture constant GF1 will use a faster shutter speed. I know that Sean is planning to test this in his GF1 and X1 reviews.
    oops, forgot about this . . sorry
    so . . what about the in body IS?
    one of the oddities, is that the lens seems to focus really well on the EP1 . . even in stupidly low light.

    Just this guy you know

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I'm with the "Girl's Club" on this. G1/GF1 does it for me, but if I could only have one, I'd keep the G1. Sadly, EP1 did not work for me because I need an EVF. That said, I have no loyalty to Panasonic, Olympus or Leica, so I'm open to anything new. X1 just does not interest me at that price point.
    Hi Cindy
    No - EVF's are dreadful (somebody proved this to be the case . . can't quite remember who )

    of course, I'm just joking - each to his own, and they both have their advantages. I had a G1 (didn't like it), then I had an EP1, and it got swept up by Silas in the M9 testing . then I bought a GF1, and it really didn't float my boat, so I ended up back with an EP1. I think it's charming.

    Just this guy you know

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    oops, forgot about this . . sorry
    so . . what about the in body IS?
    one of the oddities, is that the lens seems to focus really well on the EP1 . . even in stupidly low light.
    Completely forgiven ; I certainly concede (and therefore didn't mention) the in body IS point.

    Yes, good focus would be an oddity

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Completely forgiven ; I certainly concede (and therefore didn't mention) the in body IS point.

    Yes, good focus would be an oddity
    So . . . go and put your 20 f1.7 on your poor neglected EP1, and have a go - perhaps you'll see what I mean?

    Just this guy you know

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    So . . . go and put your 20 f1.7 on your poor neglected EP1, and have a go - perhaps you'll see what I mean?
    Funny, I might have to just do that. My GF1 is on assignment at Really Right Stuff. It got a modeling gig and is currently being fitted for an L-bracket. Us GF1 owners need to put it on a tripod since it doesn't have in body stabilization .


  24. #24
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    I have to admit at this point I regret selling my E-P1. The X1 and new Ricoh GXR both have left me cold, especially at the price point. The 20/1.7 on the E-P1 seems to be the best of all worlds for a small/hi quality setup.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    I'm sitting here laughing between this thread and the one about the GF1 losing its portability LOL.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I'm with the "Girl's Club" on this. G1/GF1 does it for me, but if I could only have one, I'd keep the G1. Sadly, EP1 did not work for me because I need an EVF.
    Erm... I guess that puts me in the girls club too . Seriously though, I quite like the G1/GH1 viewfinder. No significant appeal of the E-P1, E-P2, or GF1 for me. I was concerned that EVF lag would have me missing the moment, but in practice it hasn't worked out that way.
    -Amin Sabet

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Erm... I guess that puts me in the girls club too .
    Welcome...

  28. #28
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Erm... I guess that puts me in the girls club too .
    +1...

  29. #29
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Real men have a Pen?
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  30. #30
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica X1 to Panasonic GF-1 comparison by MR

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Real men have a Pen?
    A Pen with IS?



    (in body....?)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •