Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My 4/3rds system lost its portability?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 4/3rds system lost its portability?

Hi diane.. Thanks for trying. The Billingham is a just a bit bigger than the 5XB. I have a lowepro Apex 110 where i can get the camera and one of the zoom lenses attached and a second zoom, with an extra battery and CF cards but already have out grown that one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland;155487hiding out in the [B
    home for abandoned camera bags[/B] in my closet. .
    I have one of those 'homes' too --I never think I have as many hiding in there until I pull them all out . OTOH ---my husband has counted (but I told him he's misrepresenting a few by adding lens cases for the big old Lowepro belt LOL).

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think you can look at this another way too. For example, I'm just preparing for a trip to Toronto for an 85th birthday (not mine) and have been asked to be the official photog for the occasion. We'll be there for 10 days and will visit friends etc too. I expect to have to shoot video as well as stills.

To be ready for whatever I might expect, I decided to leave the D700 system and take only the M4/3s system. I am using my Thinktank Airport Antidote and am packing the following:

GH1 with 14-140mm lens
    G1 with 45-200 lens
    GF1 with 20mm lens
    14-45mm lens
    9-18mm lens with adaptor
    CV 50mm f1.5 lens with adaptor
    CV 90mm f3.5 lens with adaptor
    Gorillapod SLR Zoom with ballhead
    Oly FL36R flash
    DMW-MS1 microphone
    Misc: batteries, filters, etc.
    Macbook

All this fit in the bag easily and still weighs a fraction of the Nikon system. A real win-win situation!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the 14-140 for much besides video, but when I carry it, I consider it a small added size for the equivalent of adding a high quality video camera!
    -Amin Sabet

Linh

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    ... and have been asked to be the official photog for the occasion

... I decided to leave the D700 system and take only the M4/3s system ...
    Nice, I'm really curious as how the MFT system works out for you at the wedding. Be sure to post about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Since everyones discussing bags I thought I would throw my 2 cents in....

When my birthday rolled around this year I recieved a $30 gift credit from Olympus at their On-line store. I opted for their E-System Travel Bag - Approx 12"L x 6 1/2"W x 7"H and soft. It handles the G1 and or GF1 with lenses rather nicely... Here's a few pictures.

The bag has 2 side pockets, 2 front pockets and a large water protected inside flap pocket and a zippered pocket on outside front. The whole insides can be removed and the serpentine separator between lens and cameras can be removed or moved around as needed.

This picture (from left to right) shows the Panny 45-200mm, G1/14-45mm and the GF1/20mm... Nice fit....

Here we have (again left to right) 45-200mm, GF1/20mm + EVF and the 14-45mm (or 9-18mm or 7-14mm, or etc...) The FT -> MFT converter in a side pocket.

Showing the weather proof pockets on inside flap...

All closed up..... ready for business.

And here is the bag just hanging around for the next outing.

The downside is the big Oly lettering on the front.... BUT I'm confident a Vivek black marking pen would correct that problem quite nicely.

Cheers,
    Don
    Last edited by slosync; 14th November 2009 at 15:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linh View Post
    Nice, I'm really curious as how the MFT system works out for you at the wedding. Be sure to post about it.
    Actually, it's an 85th birthday for my father-in-law. There'll be lots of relatives, so similar perhaps! The goal will be to put together a slide show of it, or perhaps a memento book. I have no doubts that the Gx's will easily handle the chores. I'm so pleased with the output from these cameras.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post

The downside is the big Oly lettering on the front.... BUT I'm confident a Vivek black marking pen would correct that problem quite nicely.

Cheers,
    Don

Don, A carbon black spray paint (canned) works well for such jobs.

It is safer to get rid of that Olympus logo while using the bag for travel.

Post Thanks / Like

OK the Domke F-10 works well. I will snap a few shots when i get a chance.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just found a Domke F5XB in my office . I can get easily the GFI with kit lens attached and the 20mm plus enough space to grow for a 7-14 in it also. Now just need the 7-14
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but 45-200mm and flash and then forget it..

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just found a Domke F5XB in my office . I can get easily the GFI with kit lens attached and the 20mm plus enough space to grow for a 7-14 in it also. Now just need the 7-14

tmrgrs

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Yes but 45-200mm and flash and then forget it..
    I'm planning to keep using my Domke F-3X for my mFT equipment. It doesn't have any padding except for the bottom of the main compartment but has lots of smaller compartments for lenses, flash, etc. and is made from rugged inconspicuous canvas.

I've been using it for about three years and I may never buy another shoulder bag for camera and other gear again unless this one gets damaged or someone steals it.

Here's the B&H description:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post
    Since everyones discussing bags I thought I would throw my 2 cents in....

When my birthday rolled around this year I recieved a $30 gift credit from Olympus at their On-line store. I opted for their E-System Travel Bag - Approx 12"L x 6 1/2"W x 7"H and soft. It handles the G1 and or GF1 with lenses rather nicely... Here's a few pictures.

The bag has 2 side pockets, 2 front pockets and a large water protected inside flap pocket and a zippered pocket on outside front. The whole insides can be removed and the serpentine separator between lens and cameras can be removed or moved around as needed.

This picture (from left to right) shows the Panny 45-200mm, G1/14-45mm and the GF1/20mm... Nice fit....

Here we have (again left to right) 45-200mm, GF1/20mm + EVF and the 14-45mm (or 9-18mm or 7-14mm, or etc...) The FT -> MFT converter in a side pocket.

Showing the weather proof pockets on inside flap...

All closed up..... ready for business.

And here is the bag just hanging around for the next outing.

Cheers,
    Don
    This bag looks similar to the Terraclime 100 with the A&A insert ( interior is green and red however ). I messed with this bag a bit and could see the GF1 and 20/1.7 in one pocket, 45-200 in another, and the 14-45 and 7-14 on their sides in another. No room for a flash.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are having trouble with the number of lenses you might want to try a Leica tip that I learned on this forum. Essentially you glue two rear lens caps back to back. This way you can stack two lenses in the bag and it also makes lens changes easier.

If you plan to do this, you can buy extra rear m4/3 caps very cheaply on ebay. You need to sand down the backs and use some good contact cement. The whole process isn't too cumbersome and works well for smaller camera lens as the bags are usually built for bigger diameter taller slr lenses.

For instance the 14-45 and 7-14 can certainly be stored back to back. The 20 can go with anything.

I will look for pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

The gluing is really an interesting idea. I like to keep my camera with one lens on it when i am walking around. However, when packing my bag, I do not mind making things as compact as i can. For instance, I might want to pack my charger and a few accessories that I will not need while walking through a city or site seeing during a specific time period. Ok.. it has been a killer weekend, I will post some photos tomorrow after i get my 45-200

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of quick shots of my gear in a Domke F10

GF1/EVF with 45-200 attached
    7-14mm
    20mm (behind so not seen)
    14-45mm
    metz flash
    extra batteries
    http://www.pbase.com/markay/image/119520468.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/markay/image/119520470.jpg