The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

QR plates and heads for a GF1

J

jerryk

I am looking for a QR plate and head for a GF1. The system I currently have for my Canons is based on the RRS BH-55 head, which is a huge overkill for the GF1. What is everyone using to mount their GF1s to a tripod.

Jerry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Our very own Terry B loaned her GF1 to RRS for plate development. In a few weeks RRS should be announcing an L-plate for the GF1 and I assume they will have a regular flat base plate around the same time. (At least that's what I'm waiting for ;).)

Diane B

I'm still using my Markins M10 (I think) and an old Wimberly flat plate that is a bit too large (covers battery some) so waiting--and considering whether to buy an L for the GF1 or not--I have L's on all my bodies--but I have to consider whether I really will use the GF1 more on the tripod or the G1--which will need a flat plate.

I bought the Gorillapod and the larger separate ballhead and QR plate but haven't had the opportunity to use it (thought I would on trip--but weather altered a lot of things). We'll see how it works--and for what.

Diane

Terry

I'm using a Gitzo 1780 ball head with the RRS pano clamp on a gitzo traveller 1550t. This setup is small and light enough to go anywhere and will hold enough weight to deal with my A900 if needed.

There is a flat RRS plate that will hold a GF1 and allow access to the battery/card compartment. I believe it is the B9 however the screw is a bit too long for the GF1. I've read on a different forum that you can ask RRS for a slightly shorter screw and it will be flush.

As they develop the L plate they told me they would advise as to the best basic plate to use. So, stay tuned for more info. I will post it when I hear back from RRS.

terry

J

jerryk

Our very own Terry B loaned her GF1 to RRS for plate development. In a few weeks RRS should be announcing an L-plate for the GF1 and I assume they will have a regular flat base plate around the same time. (At least that's what I'm waiting for ;).)
Sounds good, I hope RSS does not change an arm and a leg for the plate.

Diane B

The L's are never cheap, but having used one for years, I love them. It will be hard to pass on it I bet LOL.

simonclivehughes

Frankly, I can't see putting an L-bracket on a camera a small and light as the GF1. I have them on my larger DSLRS, but not on the G1/GH1/GF1.

Cheers,

Terry

Simon,
Before going on my last trip I would have said the exact same thing. I thought I would have the G1/GH1 on the tripod and the GF1 handheld. However, what I found was the exact opposite! Because of the articulating screen on the G1/GH1, I could use my GH1 with creative and interesting camera angles (particularly with the 7-14 at ground level). So, the GF1 was the camera that ended up on the tripod.

Unlike my larger cameras, I will only put the L Bracket on the GF1 when I plan to use it on a tripod. For day to day use the GF1 will just be in it's nice little leather half case.

simonclivehughes

Unlike my larger cameras, I will only put the L Bracket on the GF1 when I plan to use it on a tripod. For day to day use the GF1 will just be in it's nice little leather half case.
Terry,

That makes sense to me. Even with my D700, I don't have the L-bracket mounted 100% of the time. With the GF1 being so light, however, I don't have an issue just rotating the ball head (into the slot) to get vertical shots.

Cheers,

Terry

Simon,
Makes perfect sense. I was trying to do some vertical panos where the L bracket would have made a difference.

J

jerryk

The RRS L-bracket is available for pre-order priced at $105.
I was afraid that it would be expensive. I think I will pass on getting the RRS L bracket. I have them on my Canons but I tripod mount those cameras a lot. For the GF1 I will look at a cheaper option since the plate will only be used sparingly.

Rich M

Sorry about the earlier post.....this now being my second try at it (and second post to the forum). I had some problems embedding an image but Guy helped me out. Thanks Guy.

I have been using an older RRS L-Plate (this one left over from my Canon 10D). I like to recycle.....AND save a few $$$ n the process.

I first used this, and still do occasionally, for my LX3. (If you look carefully at the bottom of the plate you will see a hole drilled in the bottom). It fits pretty well for the GF1 using the standard mounting hole. It's not perfect, it covers the battery compartment....but with over 400 shots on a battery, I can live with that.

Another heads up is that the front lip (where the RRS is printed on) presses up on the focusing ring of the pancake 20mm. I have a thin piece of cardboard that I shim it out with when I use that lens.

Mostly I have been using it for the manual focus lenses. It just helps to have one less thing moving. Especially today when it was windy outside.

These things show up on auction sites....I saw one sell recently for pretty cheap.

Just thought I'd share....

BTW......I LOVE this place!! :thumbup: