The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Funky Look Image Thread

Joan

You know, the more I look at your second one, the more I like it. It really does have a beautiful glow. Of course, it is a terrific shot to begin with, which doesn't hurt!

What I found difficult was having all kinds of jaggies and noise come up when I pushed the colors so far from reality. Had to stomp on the NR!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Joan . I think in LR which I think you are using unlike the color editor in C1 you can play with individual colors which is pretty much what I am doing is taking a sample of a color and than alter that around.

Joan

Wow!! Those are some technicolor grapes! The largest one looks like a crystal ball to tell of a funky future. :)

Guy Mancuso

You know, the more I look at your second one, the more I like it. It really does have a beautiful glow. Of course, it is a terrific shot to begin with, which doesn't hurt!

What I found difficult was having all kinds of jaggies and noise come up when I pushed the colors so far from reality. Had to stomp on the NR!
The second one is really almost real except a heavy heavy dose on the sky. I only had a slight tinge of color but than greatly enhanced that what helps on noise is the black and if I tried to open up some of those shadows than a lot of noise would pop out. So watch your blacks for one , one reason I mention raise the contrast first than start working the color.

Joan

Ha ha, we keep posting at the same time here ...

I'm using ACR in PS Elements, so basically like LightRoom, but with fewer options, I think.
So, after I moved the WB sliders around in raw, I went in and did some further messing around in the Elements hue/saturation and replace color modes.

I did another version and "solarized" it, but that became too muddy so I gave up.

Guy Mancuso

this is a funky look i have working on..... i call it "retro-vintage"....
I also liked this type of look for B&W work. Very interesting

Big part of this look comes with subject matter as well, this works nice with it

Guy Mancuso

Ha ha, we keep posting at the same time here ...

I'm using ACR in PS Elements, so basically like LightRoom, but with fewer options, I think.
So, after I moved the WB sliders around in raw, I went in and did some further messing around in the Elements hue/saturation and replace color modes.

I did another version and "solarized" it, but that became too muddy so I gave up.
Than bump the black back up , actually clip the black. What is interesting as you play around you see all kinds of different things changing with regard to color and range of it.

Joan

That is a really nice treatment, soft and slightly faded but with all the detail still there.
Good stuff Mojo.

Joan

Thanks for the tips, Guy. I will try again with another one. It really is fun to play with color. I didn't try any masking with the one above, I imagine one could do better by selecting certain areas to push while leaving others alone.

Well, I gotta head off to bed! It's going on 1 AM here.

Look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with in the FUNKY thread! :)

Guy Mancuso

Yea keep playing it's fun and a interesting learning experience. Hope others try this as well, not normally what we do but good to break the mold once in awhile. Now in the morning I actually have to process a real job so most certainly need to take a break from this funky look. LOL

Not sure blue faces and red sweaters would go over very well. LOL

V

Vivek

~200 degree circular fisheye image with good bokeh without any help from post processing. ;)

Joan

View attachment 24842
I'm not sure if we should take your color picker away (as Terry suggested) or join in, but I'll give it a try. G1 and Pen-F 60 f/1.5
Cindy, I like your colorful fishies, they have a storybook quality that would make that fun for a kids room.

Vivek, that's a neat fisheye image, but come on, PUSH those colors, LOL!

Raf, I'm not sure how you did that, but it looks cool!

V

Vivek

Let me get loaded on a few Espressos first. :ROTFL:

(drab light, I will take it outdoors- may be)