The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question regarding E-P1 auto ISO

Amin

How does auto ISO work with manual focus lenses and various modes on the E-P1? On my GH1, using the adapted Nokton 50/1.5, auto ISO works in P mode but not S or M mode. This is inconvenient, because P mode always gives me 1/30s in limited light, and often I need faster than that (more because of subject movement than hand shake).

Amin

Thanks Kevin. Could you try S mode for me? Set the shutter speed to 1/100s and see if auto ISO still works?

If so, I'll be looking for an E-P2 to pair with manual focus lenses!

Terry

Amin on the E-P1 auto ISO works in Manual mode. Not sure why you would use S mode with a manual lens vs. M as the S really doesn't do anything when the camera can't control the Aperture.

Auto ISO is something that Panny needs to fix in firmware. With fast wide lenses or manual lenses the 1/focal or 1/30 rule just isn't working well enough for people. They should also enable it for manual mode. There has been some noise online about this. Would love a good way to get the feedback to Panny.

I'm not quite sure what the algorithm is for Oly on how it "decides" to raise the ISO. Does anyone know the answer?

Amin

Thanks Kevin and Terry! Seems like the E-P2 with EVF will be the ultimate MFT camera for manual focus lenses. For now, we have to choose between EVF and stabilization/auto ISO.

Amin on the E-P1 auto ISO works in Manual mode. Not sure why you would use S mode with a manual lens vs. M as the S really doesn't do anything when the camera can't control the Aperture.
Right, S or M is what I meant. Either would work for me since they do the same thing with manual focus lenses.

Auto ISO is something that Panny needs to fix in firmware. With fast wide lenses or manual lenses the 1/focal or 1/30 rule just isn't working well enough for people. They should also enable it for manual mode. There has been some noise online about this. Would love a good way to get the feedback to Panny.
I never minded it until I started using a manual focus lens.

I'm not quite sure what the algorithm is for Oly on how it "decides" to raise the ISO. Does anyone know the answer?
I'd be interested to learn this as well!