The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

where is your G1 made

where is your G1 made

• China

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Japan

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

pellicle

Hello

it was just brought up (elsewhere) that a fellow who was grumbling about the build quality of his G1 mentioned "what do you expect from something made in china" ... well my G1 is made in Japan

where is yours made?

V

Vivek

China, Taiwan and Germany. Those c-mount adapters were sourced from all over the place!

I also use Japanese made adapters (RayQual, Leica-M, and the base for my current pen F (the real Pen) adapter) and a self made one (that would make it made in the Netherlands).:ROTFL:

RichA

Hello

it was just brought up (elsewhere) that a fellow who was grumbling about the build quality of his G1 mentioned "what do you expect from something made in china" ... well my G1 is made in Japan

where is yours made?
The camera body and kit lens were made in Japan.

B

Bill Wilby

As some of you will know I am a Canadian Panasonic dealer. I began receiving stock of the G1 made in China in Sept. of this year. I was able to compare earlier Japan made with the newer from China and could see no difference. The only problem is I am back ordered on all three colours at this time with no ETA. There appears to be a shortage in Canada even with the production move to China. Very frustrating as I have customers waiting. cheers Bill

toobacat

As some of you will know I am a Canadian Panasonic dealer. I began receiving stock of the G1 made in China in Sept. of this year. I was able to compare earlier Japan made with the newer from China and could see no difference. The only problem is I am back ordered on all three colours at this time with no ETA. There appears to be a shortage in Canada even with the production move to China. Very frustrating as I have customers waiting. cheers Bill
So does this mean that they will only be made in China now?

B

Bill Wilby

So does this mean that they will only be made in China now?
I don't know where they may be made in the future, but the G1 is now more than a year old and that is getting old for a Panasonic camera if you compare it to their point and shoot models. Bill

Terry

My immediate thought is Panny is working on a new camera that will come off the assembly line in Japan. Unless, the GF1 is the camera being produced there right now.

A

alanwf

Part of my profession involves design "finessing" of computer peripherals, electronics and toys that are going to be manufactured in China and other "off shore" locales. "Made in China" no longer has any real connotation. I think "made in Japan" does, at this point, almost always mean tight quality control, but I have seen unbelievably beautiful parts from China. Apple is a good example; most of their manufacturing is in China, and if you've ever taken an iPod apart, it's truly a wonder of precision.

For that matter, the last guitar I bought was made in China; it cost about what mid priced US made guitar would cost, but is easily better than anything made here in a factory.

Kyocera—very interesting. I would still rate my Contax bodies that they made to be easily superior to anything by Nikon or Canon that I've used. (And I was pretty solid Nikon until those darned T* lenses wowed me over.) I'm still waiting for my GF1 to appear (holding out for the 20mm kit), but that even whets my appetite more.

slau

My G1 is from Japan and my GH1 is from China. All my Panasonic lenses (14-45, 14-140, 20f1.7) are made in Japan. If you don't want to buy anything from China, it will not be easy to find anything to buy :). Plus, the Chinese products can be very good if you do not squeeze them too much on costs. Japanese seems to be able to retain good QC even products are made outside Japan.

Last edited:

pellicle

Hello

thanks to everyone for their responses. I should point out that I am aware that high quality items have regularly come from China for some time. I recall reading (but can't give a citation right now) that "made in ..." was adopted post WW1 to make it harder for cheap German copies of English products making it onto the market.

But that is not what I am interested in knowing about with my question. I was simply interested to know about this as I had not heard that Panasonic had shifted production off to China.

PeterB666

My Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm lenses are made in Japan.
My Olympus E-P1 and 14-42mm are made in China.

I have no quality issues with either. Both are fine. If anything I would rate the perceived build quality of the Olympus Chinese stuff marginally in front of the Japanese Panasonic stuff. Note that is rearlly a comparision of brands and design consideratios and materials choice is an important factor.

When it boils down to the nuts and bolts, it choice of materials and effort put into design are just as important as anything else in build quality. It is fairly rare that you get turely dud stuff from either Panasonic or Olympus.

hot

G1
body Made in Japan
lens Made in Japan (14-45)
battery Made in China

GH1
body Made in China
lens Made in Japan (14-140)
battery Made in China

1/10price 3rd party battery :) Made in China

Olympus 510

body Made in China
lens Made in China
battery Made in China

There is NO DIFFERENCE in quality Japan-China !

I

Irwell

G1 Made in Japan
45/200 lens Made in Japan
Sunbeam Microwave oven (bought today) Made in China.