The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVF and shutter speed

mark1958

I am amazed how much better my ability to shoot at slower shutter speeds is with the EVF. I was actually a bit disappointed in my shooting skills in terms of shake. I need to do some more relatively objective testing but I can get about 50% sharp images at 1/10th second with the 45-200 at 200mm with the EVF.

THis is a huge advantage to having an EVF attached.

I want to calculate how many stop improvement this makes for me..

JBurnett

I am amazed how much better my ability to shoot at slower shutter speeds is with the EVF.

THis is a huge advantage to having an EVF attached.
Interesting, Mark. What I'm not clear on is compared to what? Are you comparing a GF1 with/without EVF? Or a DSLR to EVF?

mark1958

I apologize for not being clear but what i meant was comparing using the EVF vs LCD to compose the shot. Part of the problem may be that as I have aged, I have to hold things a bit farther away to keep them in focus unless i wear glasses. The issue is that perhaps I am just not used to shooting with an LCD still camera. I would think that holding your arms out a bit would make it less possible to hold as still as when one is looking through the EVF. I am curious what others have found

JBurnett

I apologize for not being clear but what i meant was comparing using the EVF vs LCD to compose the shot. Part of the problem may be that as I have aged, I have to hold things a bit farther away to keep them in focus unless i wear glasses.
Me too. Only my arms aren't long enough. Therefore, the LCD has been folded in to the camera for all but perhaps 2 of the last 1000 shots. :bugeyes:

slau

I can get higher keeper ratio if I use the EVF on my G1/GH1, as I can add two contact points by pressing my eye to the EVF and my face to the LCD. I am getting better with the little Panasonic camera/lenses in terms of low light shooting with low shutter speed. The good IS performance of the Panasonic lenses helps too.

Also, as I have both eyes opened when I shoot, I can anticipate the 'critical' moment better. I think that may help too.