The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THIS IS NOW MY KIT, SHOW ME YOURS

slau

Shown is the "small" kit that I'm currently adopting for urban walkabouts. G1 + 20mm + 40mm f/2.0 M-Rokkor. The bag is something I found on the Internet. Doesn't look like a camera bag, but it's padded like one inside and fits this combo with some room to spare. What a delight to carry compared to my old DSLR outfit!

Not shown: 14-45, 45-200, Oly 35 Macro, Canon FD adapter and a few FD lenses, LowePro Terraclime 100 & Slingshot 100.

John,
After seeing your post of the Minolta M 40f2, I tried to locate all my CLE stuffs (I think I have two sets) and found only one body, 28f2.8 & 40f2. I did not even know there is a metal hood for the 40f2 as mine is a rubber hood. Anyway, as I already have the M adapter, I did some quick shooting with the 28f2.8 & 40f2, with the 14-140 kit lens as a reference.

My quick impression is that the 40f2 is pretty good while the 28f2.8 is so so. Is that your experience with the Minolta lenses too? May be I should spend sometime to play with the M lenses instead of just focus on the Zeiss stuffs. Thanks.

slau

I just shot my "Panasonic traveling kit", which consists of G1, GH1, 14-45, 14-140, 20f1.7 & a Contax Zeiss 50f1.4 lens. It is like a small Lowepro back pack and I have enough room to carry quite a bit stuffs at the upper compartment, and it does not look like a camera pack.

Usually I still carry my big back pack which is filled up with all Canon stuffs and a GH1+14-140.

JBurnett

John,
After seeing your post of the Minolta M 40f2, I tried to locate all my CLE stuffs (I think I have two sets) and found only one body, 28f2.8 & 40f2. I did not even know there is a metal hood for the 40f2 as mine is a rubber hood. Anyway, as I already have the M adapter, I did some quick shooting with the 28f2.8 & 40f2, with the 14-140 kit lens as a reference.

My quick impression is that the 40f2 is pretty good while the 28f2.8 is so so. Is that your experience with the Minolta lenses too? May be I should spend sometime to play with the M lenses instead of just focus on the Zeiss stuffs. Thanks.
Stephen, I purchased the Rokkor 40mm used because I was looking for a "fast-ish" lens in that focal length. Somewhere (I forget where -- RangeFinder Forum?) I'd already seen some comparisons between the Rokkor, the 40mm Summicron, and the Voigtlander f/1.4 Nokton, so I had some "reasonable" expectations, and was on the lookout for one of these three. A good deal on the Rokker presented itself first. The metal lens hood is after-market (Heavystar on eBay). The lens came with the standard collapsible rubber hood, but it had spent a little too much time collapsed.

I like the "character" of the Rokkor very much. Mine is the early version, a direct copy of the Summicron. It's certainly different than modern lenses - sharp enough, but not as "clinically crisp" in my opinion. I don't have a 40mm Voigtlander or Pen or Konica or Olympus OM to compare sharpness, bokeh, etc. at wider apertures, so I can only say that I like what I've seen so far. I haven't done any side-by-side tests with the native zooms; results would be somewhat moot as I didn't really buy the lens to use it at f/5.6 or f/8.

Other advantages of this lens are its small size, light weight (120g) and very good build quality. Disadvantage is minimum focusing distance.

Earlier, I'd read some posts that showed smearing and corner issues with some wider m-lenses, so I didn't even consider looking for a 28mm. The matching 90mm f/4 lens from the C-series can be found at resonable prices, but it's a bit too slow IMO. I'm considering the CV 75mm f/2.5 or 90mm Tele-Elmarit as good candidates for the "small" kit but, frankly, this focal length isn't a priority right now.

P

PhillipA

Here are my bodies - plus a G1 that isn't in the picture, the lenses don't fit on the kitchen bench I'm afraid ;-)
Can someone tell me how to make images posted here full sized and not just thumbnails please?

retow

Jim ,

Nice set up, that G1 is great, my wife made off with mine and the 14-140.

I am so curious about the EP-1, I have seen so many really nice images
from that camera, I better not go there, ski season is coming up and I need
new skis and boots, very expensive.

Best Regards

Peter
The EP1 with pancake would fit nicely into your new ski jacket :salute:

Godfrey

I bought the Billingham Hadley Pro last year. It's a superb bag, pricey but worth it.

That said, sometimes I need something smaller. I really like the Terraclime 100 design ... what's the A&A insert? Looks interesting!

wjlapier

I bought the Billingham Hadley Pro last year. It's a superb bag, pricey but worth it.

That said, sometimes I need something smaller. I really like the Terraclime 100 design ... what's the A&A insert? Looks interesting!
Artisan & Artist. Photovillage had them last time I checked. Smaller of the two fits the Terraclime just fine.

Bill

T

treynolds

Re: Here's Mine:

Panny G1, GF1, 20mm f1.7, 14-45mm zoom, 45-200mm zoom, charger, filters and memory, all in a LowePro Sling 100AW bag:

My thought with the burgundy was that it looks a little LESS like a camera bag. Side-release clips keep the zipper from opening all the way unless I release them. Very secure, very comfortable and easy to swing the bag around while still on my shoulder to remove a camera. GF1 has the 20mm, the G1 the 14-45 zoom.

I like the fact that the bag comes with a built-in rain cover that stows in the back of the bag and cannot be misplaced or lost. I use the swift-attachment point on the opposite side from the zipper for a mesh bottle holder that holds the bottom section of my Gittos tripod. The top of the tripod get secure to the top of the pack with velcro:

Tony

T

treynolds

Can someone tell me how to make images posted here full sized and not just thumbnails please?
Yes, you store the photo you want to reference on an off-computer site. I use Google Photo. I click on the photo in Google to show a preview, right click on the photo, click "Properties" and then cut and paste the resulting URL using the "Insert Photo" icon (yellow box with mountain) in the edit screen.

Does that make sense?

Tony

brianb032

I have nowhere near as much gear as any of you guys do. All I have is an EP1 with the 20mm Panny (sold the kit zoom). If there was one final lens that would seal off my "needs" it'd be a mini version of the 50mm ZD Macro.

Godfrey

I have nowhere near as much gear as any of you guys do. All I have is an EP1 with the 20mm Panny (sold the kit zoom). If there was one final lens that would seal off my "needs" it'd be a mini version of the 50mm ZD Macro.
You want the Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8. A kit comprised of a body and these two lenses is enough, really.