The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Groupings, Sets and Series

JBurnett

After having some renovations done at home, I decided to replace two "groups" of photos on the walls with newer pics. I always find that choosing these sets is an interesting and challenging process (which, in my case, also involves the opinon of other family members and friends). It is clearly different than assessing images on their own. The pictures have to work together. One of the group shouldn't be too dominant. As a set, they may be stronger than individual photos.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting for forum members to post some of their own groupings, sets, and series -- say, from 2 to 4 photographs. What makes the individual shots a "group" is up to you: common subject matter, common colour theme, common or opposing shapes (rectangles, curves), temporal strand, seasons, something that leads the eye from one photo to the next, focus in the same or opposite quadrants, etc. etc.

I'll start with a simple example, in a separate post. Anyone else interested?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
John,
This could be an interesting thread.
Is there a way to exhibit the images horizontally?
They will read different than vertically.
Maybe you could link the images to a gallery or something.
Shooter

Godfrey

Nice photos, John.

Groups, sets, etc, hung on the wall are extensions of the diptych, triptych, etc notion to me. I do a lot of these sorts of image sets: for the web, I render them together into a single image file.

I've done a few of these this year with portraits too. I really like this double-series ...

JBurnett

John,
This could be an interesting thread.
Is there a way to exhibit the images horizontally?
They will read different than vertically.
Maybe you could link the images to a gallery or something.
Shooter
Linking to a gallery would work. I think you can display images side by side just by inserting the links consecutively on the same line.
This will make viewing the images a scrollable affair, however.
OTOH, you are absolutely correct -- positioning in the group makes a difference.

I'll bet you have some candidates, Shooter!

Test for side by side. A group of plants. Two have curves and rounded shapes predominant.
The other two have round shapes, but also the more angular shapes of the petals.
I'm not sure if I got the relative positioning correct, but this is how *I* saw it.

JBurnett

Nice photos, John.

Groups, sets, etc, hung on the wall are extensions of the diptych, triptych, etc notion to me. I do a lot of these sorts of image sets: for the web, I render them together into a single image file.

I've done a few of these this year with portraits too. I really like this double-series ...
Godfrey, I was hoping I might lure you in with this topic. Your recent triptych was marvellous and these are terrific examples as well. I like this idea for portraits.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
John,
Let's work out the logistics of the viewing first before we start getting to deep.
I curate and edit many shooters and artist work. I can't even think about doing it on this forum. If you get it going...I certainly will support the effort and feed into it....

Maybe Guy and or Jack could help with the admin stuff....

JBurnett

John, Let's work out the logistics of the viewing first before we start getting to deep. I curate and edit many shooters and artist work.
Well, you have me there. I'm just an older geek with a camera, an interest in the visual arts, and two small wall spaces in my home designated for photos. :)

I can't even think about doing it on this forum. If you get it going...I certainly will support the effort and feed into it....Maybe Guy and or Jack could help with the admin stuff....
And here I thought I'd GOT it going. :eek: Seriously, any help/suggestions that you, Guy or Jack want to share, that would be great. Are you suggesting that the topic has 'legs' outside of this forum, or that the standard 'thread of posts' may not be best vehicle to share (or perhaps both)?

JBurnett

Re: Black & White

Tell you what I see - the best black and white processing on this forum.
Thanks, Michael. One thing I noticed as soon as I began monitoring this forum is that the calibre of the images is pretty high, and that there is a wealth of knowledge and expertise to be found among the forum's participants. And, yet, members aren't visually pedantic, as sometimes happens (witness the bokeh and funky image threads).

apicius9

You sure are making it difficult for a beginner to find the courage to post here with the standard you set with your pictures, but here is one set that I kind of liked - even though it will make you dizzy... Three bushes standing next to each other, with the G1 and the older uncoated (and not yet cleaned...) Cooke Kinic 25/1.5. Only auto-contrast jpgs.

Stefan

Greg Lockrey

Nice photos, John.

How fun!

JBurnett

... here is one set that I kind of liked - even though it will make you dizzy... Three bushes standing next to each other, with the G1 and the older uncoated (and not yet cleaned...) Cooke Kinic 25/1.5. Only auto-contrast jpgs.
Cool, Stefan. But I can see StreetShooter's point immediately -- would you display these top to bottom, or side by side?

JBurnett

You could call this the 20mm brick wall test series. :)

A rich, dark colour...

Abandoned coffee cup...

Dull day at the Broadview Apartments...

Mysterious enterprise...

Forgotten window...

Use at own risk...

Look towards the heavens...

JBurnett

Dolls in the window...

Star wheel...

Pricey patina of a new condo...

Danger, Caution...

Escape, escape...

For peeking in or out?

This way, this way...

sangio

John

I really like your images of old Toronto. Now you've got me thinking seriously about a day trip there, I'm only a two hour train ride away.

regards
Santo

JBurnett

Thanks, Santo. All of these were taken last Saturday during a long walk -- about 6 hours including stops for coffee and lunch. They range from Riverdale south, through Queen St. East, and some areas close to U of T. Then I ran out of steam.