The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1 manual is terrible

J

JohnKendrick

Just purchased a GH1 as a move up from P&S. Having great fun learning how to use it.

Except for the manual. I've seen some bad manuals, particularly computer ones, but this one genuinely takes the proverbial cake.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I posted a similar request on the DP Review threads which solicited some help, including a set of online videos.

If anyone knows of any printed documentation, that would help also.

In addition, I would expect, given the interest in the m4/3 Panasonic line, particularly the GF1, we might see a book in the not too distant future.

John

Godfrey

I haven't found a camera manual yet which was actually "well written".

They're reference manuals. I prefer to use the electronic copy and find information in it by using a PDF reader and search rather than trying to actually read it. I walk through them section by section to extract the information I need, as I need it, rather than try to read them to understand how to use the camera. They always seem to concentrate the discursive sections on the stuff I have no interest in, and leave the critical information about what options do what in a jumble that's crosslinked across twenty sections.

I should write a book on using the G1 camera ... I've spent a year with it and understand most of what's interesting in it (to me...) now.

Maybe I will. :)

Diane B

They're reference manuals. I prefer to use the electronic copy and find information in it by using a PDF reader and search rather than trying to actually read it. I walk through them section by section to extract the information I need, as I need it, rather than try to read them to understand how to use the camera. They always seem to concentrate the discursive sections on the stuff I have no interest in, and leave the critical information about what options do what in a jumble that's crosslinked across twenty sections.

I should write a book on using the G1 camera ... I've spent a year with it and understand most of what's interesting in it (to me...) now.

I agree---camera manuals are generally poor. Some of it may come because they are translations from Japanese (I assume), but they are poorly organized--at least to my way of thinking. I've always thought the Canon manuals were bad--but got used to 'their' way of organizing LOL. Using the pdf versions are a better solution.

Godfrey--that might be a good idea for those that are really new to m4/3rds--or at least the Panasonic m4/3rds.

J

JohnKendrick

Thanks. Write the book. I'll buy a copy. Someone needs to do so. I suspect there will be a market down the road.

What's needed is the Missing Manual computer series. But I suspect David Pogue is otherwise busy.

snowy

Hi John, and welcome to the GetDPI forum! It was me that pointed you this way from dpreview...

I did a search in amazon's book section and did find one written for the G1, but it's in German. That may be of use to some, although my German wouldn't be up to it! Haven't found anything else in print yet, but I'm sure it'll come!

H

Henk S

True, but the Panasonic manuals have managed to significantly raise my opinion of my Canon manuals, in comparison.

The G-series manuals are truly bad. Fortunately the cameras are very usable without them.

J

JohnKendrick

Hi John, and welcome to the GetDPI forum! It was me that pointed you this way from dpreview...
Thanks, then for the directions. And, most of all, to whomsoever on that thread offered the links to the lbguide videos. Big, big help.

J

JohnKendrick

The G-series manuals are truly bad. Fortunately the cameras are very usable without them.
Good to hear that. I'm surprised by the number of respondents who say this is just camera manuals. You'll have to learn to lump it. I've owned three digital cameras now, none dslr's. None of the manuals even got close to just how bad this one is. And one was a Nikon, often thought to have an exceptionally bad manual.

But thanks for the videos.