The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

where do you folks get lens reviews?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Before that, I would check the spirit level in the tripod to make sure the setup is level.
Parallelism of the sensor-plane to the wall is very important, and due to lens aberrations, one cannot trust what is in the image.
So measuring the parallelism of the two planes is a good start. I have been fretting for years on the best way to accomplish this.
So to save wear and tear on my nervous system, I just shoot with the damn thing and see how I like it.
-bob

Jonas

It's better to concentrate on making photographs than worrying whether some geek with a resolution chart has myopia. :)
Yeah,
but first you have to measure and calibrate your brick wall.
-bob
Before that, I would check the spirit level in the tripod to make sure the setup is level.
(...) death to lens tests
Heh. I love it when people make jokes about reviews and reviewers. Personally I am very fund of many lenses and I try to fight this habit of buying fast primes in my endless search for the holy grail.

So, I like lens reviews. Or love them. Making jokes about the poor blokes performing them tells me something... I read many lens reviews at work at slow hours and it gives me a picture of the stuff they tested.

When I have lured myself into trying a lens I buy it and among the first things I do is to take some series of test images. This includes an USAF chart, tree branches, a book shelf, a maglite bulb in the dark and a few bokeh related images. In a very short time I learn some things about the lens and it mainly saves me from using it in an inappropriate way later when really using the lens. And it gives me some reason to whine as I of course never found the magic lens.

Godfrey; I have seen many of your lens comparisons and sample images. You don't suffer from myopia or cataract or anything I hope? ;)

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Heh. I love it when people make jokes about reviews and reviewers. Personally I am very fund of many lenses and I try to fight this habit of buying fast primes in my endless search for the holy grail.
I do not think Bob was making remarks nonchalantly. Nor was I.

From your summary, in comparison, perhaps I might have invested more time and resources than you in attempting to get at what you describe as the "holy grail".

The truth (for me) is that grail is non existent.

I have "perfect" lenses (very many of them) and even the latest "more than perfect" Pana 20/1.7.

Though tools and techniques are essential for every photographer, photography itself (i mean the "final picture") is more than all of this.

As the bard said- there is more to photography than it can be dreamt of in any (or all of) lens tests, gear tests and even system tests.

Jonas

I do not think Bob was making remarks nonchalantly. Nor was I.

From your summary, in comparison, perhaps I might have invested more time and resources than you in attempting to get at what you describe as the "holy grail".

The truth (for me) is that grail is non existent.

I have "perfect" lenses (very many of them) and even the latest "more than perfect" Pana 20/1.7.

Though tools and techniques are essential for every photographer, photography itself (i mean the "final picture") is more than all of this.

As the bard said- there is more to photography than it can be dreamt of in any (or all of) lens tests, gear tests and even system tests.
Then I have to apology. You were probably all dead serious. I'm sorry for reading and phrasing myself in such a sloppy way. What can you expect from anybody looking at lens and camera reviews before buying?