Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Has anyone else addressed this and if so, what was your source for them? Is it possible to adapt the tripod collars from other Olympus lenses to work on these two?

    In case you're curious as to why I need them, it's because I'm starting to use these lenses on my GF1 and E-P1 bodies and unlike with my G1 and L1, I'm concerned the bodies aren't strong enough to support them, especially when I sling the tripod over my shoulder and walk around with the camera/lens still attached.

    Worst case, I can always fab something that will do the job, but right now, money is more plentiful for me than time, so I'd prefer to buy something off the shelf than to roll them myself.

  2. #2
    RoyGBiv
    Guest

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Has anyone else addressed this and if so, what was your source for them? Is it possible to adapt the tripod collars from other Olympus lenses to work on these two?

    In case you're curious as to why I need them, it's because I'm starting to use these lenses on my GF1 and E-P1 bodies and unlike with my G1 and L1, I'm concerned the bodies aren't strong enough to support them, especially when I sling the tripod over my shoulder and walk around with the camera/lens still attached.
    I've been using my 4/3rds lenses borrowed from my L1 on my e-p1 alot like you do--slinging things around on the tripod. Have you actually found this to be a problem? I looked at the difference in mount radius and flange construction (the key elements to the mount's structural integrity) and found very little difference between the two standards. Obviously, the radius is smaller, but not by enough to make a huge difference in the amount of moment the mount can endure.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've been using my 4/3rds lenses borrowed from my L1 on my e-p1 alot like you do--slinging things around on the tripod. Have you actually found this to be a problem?
    Actually, I'm not so much concerned with a lens breaking off (although that is a concern, because the bodies are cheap by comparison), but with the mass of the lens causing the body to rotate on the tripod mounting plate whenever I tip the camera 90 degrees to shoot verticals.

    I've tried tightening the plate against the body more, but both bodies are fairly thin in this area and the area around the tripod mounting socket has started to distort. It's not a problem now, fortunately, but obviously it has the potential to become a problem in the long term, which is why using either a tripod collar or a two-point mounting system that provides support for the lens as well as the body appears to be the way to go.

  4. #4
    RoyGBiv
    Guest

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Actually, I'm not so much concerned with a lens breaking off (although that is a concern, because the bodies are cheap by comparison), but with the mass of the lens causing the body to rotate on the tripod mounting plate whenever I tip the camera 90 degrees to shoot verticals.

    I've tried tightening the plate against the body more, but both bodies are fairly thin in this area and the area around the tripod mounting socket has started to distort. It's not a problem now, fortunately, but obviously it has the potential to become a problem in the long term, which is why using either a tripod collar or a two-point mounting system that provides support for the lens as well as the body appears to be the way to go.
    Well, that's just the thing. There's even less difference with respect to tripod stability. If you draw the force diagram out on the system, you'll see...the body's mass has very little acting leverage (mass-wise, DSLR bodies are larger but not necessarily that much heavier anyways, because the difference in volume is due substantially to the mirror box...which is mostly air). And the thinness of it actually draws the lens closer to the axis of rotation. I wouldn't tighten your tripod any more than you normally do.

  5. #5
    RoyGBiv
    Guest

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    ...causing the body to rotate on the tripod mounting plate whenever I tip the camera 90 degrees to shoot verticals.....
    Ahh...camera rotation; that's different. Yes, I get what you mean by that. What you need is more friction. Cranking down the knob is one way to get that. But you might want to try a tackier surface between the camera body & quick-release base.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Ahh...camera rotation; that's different. Yes, I get what you mean by that. What you need is more friction.
    Yep. Unfortunately, the thinness of the body (depth-wise) actually makes this worse because the surface area in contact with the mounting plate is reduced compared to the G1 (which has no problems in this respect).

    Cranking down the knob is one way to get that. But you might want to try a tackier surface between the camera body & quick-release base.
    True, but I think I'd rather address both issues by providing some additional support for the lens. A search of the internet this evening came up empty, so it looks like I'll have to fab something myself. Oh, well...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    I have an Olympus E-P1 which I use with an Olympus OM 200mm f/4 lens, 2x teleconverter and of course a MFT to OM 2-part adapter. While this combo taxes my small ball head (rated at 2kg) and wobbles like a jelly on springs, it does well on my old 2-way pan head on the same tripod. This has a much larger surface area for mounting and is also far more substantial so the front end load doesn't jiggle the whole setup.

    You might find a better head (i.e. heavier and more robust) for your tripod would be a better solution.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Personally, if I was regularly using an E-P1 with tripod and heavy lenses - I would definitely prefer to have some kind of lens support. I saw an exploded view somewhere, which showed the tripod socket on the E-P1 is not very heavy duty.



    Cheers

    Brian

  9. #9
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    I would never use the actually tripod socket alone as any means of support, it's to small a area for it to put that much weight pressure. What I use are camera plates from RRS or Kirk and several reasons for this .But what it does essential is spread the weight over the whole plate which is bigger which adds tensile strength over the whole plate. Basically spreads any force given to the whole plate instead of a single point so it becomes stronger.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  10. #10
    RoyGBiv
    Guest

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Yep. Unfortunately, the thinness of the body (depth-wise) actually makes this worse because the surface area in contact with the mounting plate is reduced compared to the G1 (which has no problems in this respect).
    Yes, I wasn't even thinking about the tripod mount when I first commented...just the lens mount, which is my mistake. I have alot less confidence in the integrity of the tripod mount as opposed to the lens mount on these smaller bodies. They can definitely be deformed by normal use with a heavy lens.

  11. #11
    Member hodad66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indialantic, Florida
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Perhaps this gadget...... I'm thinking of
    using a 200/f2.8 Canon FD and the weight
    would be better balanced...
    Last edited by hodad66; 23rd November 2009 at 08:47.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    Quote Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
    Perfect! That's exactly what I need and exactly what I had in mind to fab (although I'm sure mine would have been more functional and less pretty). Thanks for the pointer and I'm now off to B&H's site to see if I can find one for sale...

    [EDIT: Done! $73.45 and free shipping from Amazon.com beat B&H's $69.95 plus shipping. Thanks again!]
    Last edited by Audii-Dudii; 23rd November 2009 at 11:30.

  13. #13
    Member hodad66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indialantic, Florida
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need tripod collars for my Olympus 7-14 and 14-35 zooms...

    My pleasure..... I'm still waiting for my FD/m4/3 adapter
    to arrive, while my cache of FD lenses keeps growing...

    Last edited by hodad66; 23rd November 2009 at 12:05.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •