The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Zoom with the Pen

Robert Campbell

I've just got the m43 adaptor for a few Hexanon lenses, to use on the EP-1. If there is a way to zoom when manually focussing, I can't find it.

Is there a way?

BTW, the focussing on these Hexanons seems quite stiff -- some probably haven't been used for years. Is this normal, or am I just pampered by focus-by-wire?

PeterB666

If they are zoom lenses, you rotate the zoom ring or push it forward/back depending on wheter it is a 2 ring zoom or 1 ring zoom.

I suspect your Hexanon lenses are not zoom lenses if you cannot see an obvious way of zooming them.

My father had an early Konica AutoReflex T camera and this was the first SLR I spend any amount of undue stiffness or slack in the focus ring but such problems do occur from time to time. If all are similar, then I suspect that it is that you are not use to using a focus ring with a mechanical link to the glass. Some focus by wire rings are too lose for my liking.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Robert,

Of course.

Menu - * menu (default is turned off for this option) - *D - INFO setting - LV info - Zoom On.

under LV info there are a number of screens...I use Zoom and crosshair grid only to jump from zoom to crosshair in two moves as there is a normal screen between.

So with this setting you find focus hit the info button and a small green box appears. OK in center of ring selector to zoom OK again to drop zoom...you can go from 7x to 10x with the silver scroll wheel at to right on back. Info again returns to crosshair to align shot....info twice returns to zoom box. Repeat as needed....you can shoot from zoom screen and keep zooming in and out without the crosshairs if they are not needed.

I set the Fn button to LCD on/off ... off when I am between shots.

Makes sense after you have used it a bit.:ROTFL:

Bob

Robert Campbell

Thanks all; sorry for the confusion, I meant zoom as in magnify the image for better focussing -- the lenses are all primes.

Just tried it -- it works!

PS - the Hexanon focus is quite a bit stiffer than on my Canon EF lenses, which was why I was a bit puzzled.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

trisberg

I set the Fn button to LCD on/off ... off when I am between shots.

Makes sense after you have used it a bit.:ROTFL:
It does start to make sense for me now. I just got the camera for a one week rental to see if I would like shooting with the Pen.

Still haven't figured out how to turn the screen off more permanently. As soon as the camera goes to sleep and comes back the screen is on again. A bit annoying. I guess I could turn off the sleep mode, but that would drain the batteries faster I guess. Anyone have a suggestion.

I prefer to use an external viewfinder. The Voigtlander 28/35 mini finder is a nice match for the Pen size wise. The 35mm frame lines also match the 20mm lens perfectly. This lens seems to be closer to a 38mm equivalent. Covers about the same as a 28 on the M8.

-Thomas

docmoore

Thomas,

Menu - * menu (default is turned off for this option) - *B - BUTTON/DIAL - Fn Function -Backlit LCD - OFF

I set the Fn button to LCD on/off ... off until pushed again so even while shooting the LCD remains off.:bugeyes:

Bob

trisberg

Thomas,

Menu - * menu (default is turned off for this option) - *B - BUTTON/DIAL - Fn Function -Backlit LCD - OFF

I set the Fn button to LCD on/off ... off until pushed again so even while shooting the LCD remains off.:bugeyes:

Bob
Thanks Bob, I tried this and it works fine, until the camera goes to sleep and then wakes up again. At that point he screen comes back on again. I wish there was a way to make it remember the screen off setting.

-Thomas

docmoore

Thomas,

I see no setting to keep screen off...why not turn off sleep? With the screen off you are not using much power. D* menu again - Sleep (On times/ Off).

So when you turn on camera Fn to off screen and you are done until you shut down and power up again.

Bob

Rich M

PS - the Hexanon focus is quite a bit stiffer than on my Canon EF lenses, which was why I was a bit puzzled.

Thanks again.
Robert......I have three Hexanon's and they are all silky smooth focusing. Quite astounding considering the price.

Perhaps something is amiss with yours?

Regards......Richard

Robert Campbell

Robert......I have three Hexanon's and they are all silky smooth focusing. Quite astounding considering the price.

Perhaps something is amiss with yours?

Regards......Richard
I suspect that they need a bit of TLC and CLA -- two came from my late father-in-law, and haven't been used for maybe 10 years; the other was a freebie when I bought something else in a shop...they don't owe me a lot.