The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Cemetery - EP1 + Pana 20mm + Lensbaby Fisheye

swandy

Was at one of our local cemeteries taking photos of headstones, when I remembered that the cemetery that I was in was adjacent to an old Jewish charity cemetery. First shot was with the Panasonic 20mm and the other three with the Lensbaby Composer and the new Fisheye optic.
Comments welcome,
Thanks for looking,
Steve

Terry

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find it a good place to hang out.

These look good, a little depressing that the cemetery isn't being kept up and the stones are falling.

I've often pondered the lensbaby system but haven't done anything yet. Would be great in m4/3 mount but I think the closest I we will get is the 4/3 with adapter. Wonder what the Panny and Oly fisheye lenses will be like and priced like.

pellicle

Hi

First shot was with the Panasonic 20mm and the other three with the Lensbaby Composer and the new Fisheye optic.
Comments welcome,
Love the look of the lensbaby in black and white, but strangely not in colour. Perhaps its because I like to take images like this myself

thanks for showing off the lens baby ... I've been considering something like this myself but instead I'm hoping for something in the form of a tilt adaptor for legacy lenses ... like say an FD 28 or something ...

I'd personally like to see more of what your lens baby does...

Diane B

Hi Steve--I commented on these on 'other' forum. Nice to see.

Terry--I just got a Composer and still haven't decided about the FE--Steve's images give me an idea of it on 4/3rds. I've seen so many on FF--and it didn't excite me too much--globular. I had seen Mike Kobal's FE in his video--but still wasn't sure, so I bought the .42 WA for now--gives me about FOV same as 20 which I like (I already had a .625 and tele from old LB). I bought the 4/3rds mount this time instead of EF (which my old LB is) since I wanted to use with liveview. Like the Composer SO much more than my LB 2.0. It works fine with MA-1.

Steve--looking forward to seeing you more here on the forum. Its a nice place to hang out as Terry says. Glad you shared these with us--

edit--Pellicle--I already had the .625 converter which brings me closer to your 28 (about 31mm). I'd love a TS adaptor for my FDs, but wonder if it will come (I know you have been in contact with RJ). In the meantime, getting to play with selective focus, shallow DOF (differently than with other lenses of course). The Composer gives me a lot more control than the old LB 2.0 I have---but I'm feeling my way as to how I want to shoot with it. You might look through Lensbaby's galleries where you can choose the lens and then the optic (say Composer/FE) to get an idea what some others are doing. http://lensbaby.com/gallery-photo.php

Last edited:

swandy

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the warm welcome.
I had read about this forum for a while - even had it in my Favorites - but never spent much time here. Decided to try because I rarely see any comments over at DPR about photography - while I LOVE my toys, to me the camera is not the end, only a step to get there.

Diane - I also responded to your post over at "the dark side". I think you would be very happy with the results of the LB Fisheye on the 4/3 format. It does avoid the circular look of most fisheye lenses (on the 4/3 format) because of the crop factor, but I prefer it this way. Only minor quible is that the lens cover that comes with the Composer will not fit over the FE Optic. From what I have seen in the LB forums, the manufacturer is working on some sort of solution. Otherwise, I really like it.
Steve

btrancho

Here are some Lensbaby Composer shots taken with my G1 and the Olympus 4/3 mount version on the DMW-MA1 adapter.

Sunset Beach amusement park, New York

Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY

Port Henry, New York

Southwest Harbor, Maine

These were all taken with the double glass optic and one of the two available wide angle adapters (.42 or 0.6).

Last edited:

Diane B

Since this seemed to bring out some other Lensbaby Composer fans for the m4/3rds, thought I would shoot a few selective focus with apertures from f/2 to f/16. The room is very dark at best in available light and esp. today when I had no other options--heavy rain, very cool temps--so decided to play with the Composer. I'm also trying to decide what aperture (these are chosen by inserting a magnetic disk into the lens--and taken out with a small magnet--without a disk it is a 2.0 lens) suits the look I want to create most of the time. I have had the LB 2.0 for quite a long while (EF mount but have shot a bit with it on G1 with EOS adaptor) and wanted more control. I love my tilt shift lens on my 5D--but decided I would only shoot selective focus (I think) with it on m4/3rds. Since it is an effective 90mm FOV (45 f/2.8 TS) on the G1, it works less well for me most of the time. It is VERY controllable--with a wedge of selective focus whereas the Lensbaby, even the Composer, is less controllable, selective area is more ovid. So--this is with Composer and double optic and the .42 WA converter with 4/3rds mount using MA-1 adaptor. The lens has an effective FOV (FF) of 50mm. With this converter the FOV is (FF) 42mm (driving Godfrey crazy with the FF effective FOV LOL--sorry) so I get a nice FOV similar to my 20 f/1.7--a good FL for me. With the .625 WA converter its a 31mm (FF FOV of 62mm). After seeing Steve's FE optic on the m4/3rds, I may add it also.

The bit of movement from one shot to the other came from having the camera on tripod, set for the focus I wanted (meaning I adjusted the plane of focus by moving the lens on its ball and socket and using the focus ring) but to change the aperture, I have to remove the .42 WA converter from the lens, remove and replace the aperture disk--so in doing, I moved the lens a bit and would have to recompose somewhat and refocus. But--it gives at least a bit of comparable info about what happens with stopping down the lens. IF I would have had the lens straight forward ahead, no adjusting of it via the ball/socket, it would have had a different look to the blur/bokeh--but I chose to focus on the right bottom side of table and candle holders generally. I forgot I could 'lock down' the lens to the position I wanted--this would have worked, allowing me to unscrew the WA converter, replace the aperture disk, rescrew the WA and have the same composition/focus area. My ballhead was locked also--just really forgot I could do that LOL.

So--I used LR to process--generally ISO800, tried M as I use for my TS, but decided I preferred A and adjust EC which generally worked okay.

f/2.0

f/2.8

f/4.0

f/5.6

f/8.0

f/11.0

f/16.0

Last edited:

swandy

Diane,
Very interesting set of shots. I've done the same, but not as extensively as you have. And I agree, I have generally used the Lensbabies in Aperture priority mode (both on my 4/3 cameras and now on the EP1) and the results - as far as exposure are generally very good.
What's interesting is that the Fisheye is by itself an f4.0 lens and the adapters go from f5.6 up to f22. What it effects is more the way the edges looks as opposed to changing the size of the focus point.
Thanks for sharing.
Steve