The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Side grip for hand support

mark1958

One thing that i do not like on the Panasonic GF1 is the ergonomics in terms of gripping the right side. I am wondering if there is some sort of adhesive material that one could place in a strip that might help. Anyone tried this?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting when Jack picked me up in San Francisco , Terry was waiting to hand me my GF1 to head out on the trip. Maybe the second thing I said was it is a little slippery . So when we finally hit Bandon Oregon we stopped at a local Ace hardware store and when in to get grippy dots to put on the camera. I have two on the front and one on the back for my thumb . They actually work pretty darn good . They are clear round dots about 3/4 of a inch in diameter.I still have them on the camera but have yet to find something more suitable to replace it with. For 3 bucks it's not a bad deal

mark1958

Slippery is the right term I should have used. Exactly it. Grippy dots.. we may have some of those in the house but clearly worth the 3 dollars or so..

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mark they actually work pretty good . Not the prettiest thing around but function is the key here. LOL

Audii-Dudii

Slippery is the right term I should have used. Exactly it.
FWIW, I find the GF1 to be slippery enough to make me concerned about dropping it, but not so slippery that I've actually done so. Just in case, though, I've attached the wrist strip from my late DP1 (may it R.I.P.) and that seems to be an acceptable solution for now.

mark1958

The half case looks nice but then makes the camera a bit bulkier --- ok i am being picky. Audii the first thing i did was get a large wrist strap. I think that and grippy dots might work for now. I mean the other thing is to get a strip of a cloth like material that sticks on one side.

tom in mpls

The half case looks nice but then makes the camera a bit bulkier --- ok i am being picky.
No, Mark, I don't think that's being picky. The attraction of the GF1 is that it is not bulky. If I am OK with a bigger camera, why not go for the G1 or similar instead? That's one of the 2 reasons I don't like the leather cases. The other reason is that the cutout on the back must be so large that it practically defeats the purpose of having a case.

Terry

I have the GF1 leather case and

a)don't feel like it adds bulk
b)makes it very easy to hold
c)do feel like it gives some protection

I guess I got hooked on the half case with my M8. I can see why some might not like it. FWIW - I can say I don't have any bags that the camera will fit in w/o the case that the camera won't fit in with the case.

The dots that Guy got work nicely as well.

J

jerryk

I use a wrist strap. It keeps my hand close to the camera and if I do let go the worse the camera can do is swing around my wrist.