The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lots of new Panny firmware....wooohoooo

Terry

GF1
7-14
14-45
14-140
45-200

But the biggest news might be the manual focus with legacy lenses going to one button press. I don't have my GF1 back from RRS yet so someone else needs to be the tester :D

Here is the link

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

Here is the text:

Enabled the MF Assist operation by pressing the Rear dial, when the lens which supports only MF operation is attached, including the case any lens is mounted on M Mount Adaptor(DMW-MA2M) or R Mount Adaptor(DMW-MA3R).
Please make sure to set [SHOOT W/O LENS] to [ON] in [CUSTOM MENU].

Improved AF(Auto Focus) performance in Motion Picture recording.

Improved the picture quality for high sensitivity photo shooting.

Improved the performance of AWB (Auto White Balance).

Improved the representation in the human face related scene modes([PORTRAIT], [SOFT SKIN], [NIGHT PORTRAIT] and [BABY]).

Improved the AE program (combination of the aperture and the shutter speed) in the scenery related scene modes([SCENERY] and [ARCHITECTURE]).

Last edited:

mark1958

wow.. thanks for the update. It is incredible we have to update each lens. I mean is it ok to copy all the files into the SD file, update and then change the lens etc.? Why cant this all be in one file

Terry

So Ron,
The way I read this is you push the back control dial. Correct? Sort of makes sense because you aren't ever setting two things at once with a manual lens.

RonSmith

So Ron,
The way I read this is you push the back control dial. Correct? Sort of makes sense because you aren't ever setting two things at once with a manual lens.
That's right Terry. Press in on the dial and it does what the previous two step operation did, then you can turn the dial to increase the zoom. Very cool!

Now they need to update the G1 firmware for the same function.

It's nice to know that someone at Panasonic is actually listening to what their customers want. I'm impressed.

Terry

OK so if you are in manual mode with a legacy lens and you want to first change the shutter speed and then focus, what do you do?

RonSmith

OK so if you are in manual mode with a legacy lens and you want to first change the shutter speed and then focus, what do you do?
I just tried that with a 50 Summicron mounted via the Panasonic M adapter.

In Manual, pressing the dial goes to focus assist. Turning the dial first changes the shutter speed. Aperture is changed on the lens.

In Aperture priority, turning the dial first will change exposure compensation; pressing the dial goes to focus assist.

Terry

Great. Sounds like a great implementation - one that none of us thought of when the G1 was first released.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Roel

AWB in artificial light on GF1 is much improved. Now checking to see if high ISO is any better.

Too bad they (still) don't allow you to change the lowest shutter speed with Auto ISO though...

monza

Hmm, makes me wonder if this quicker MF option will only be on the GF1 and not the other bodies.

Terry

Hmm, makes me wonder if this quicker MF option will only be on the GF1 and not the other bodies.
Somehow, I don't think they are going to bypass the other cameras (but I have no knowledge of this). I can't imagine that the front wheel couldn't be programmed similarly to the rear wheel. Can your Panny rep find out any info? :confused:

Diane B

Go out for the evening and all--------well, it did all break loose LOL. It surely looks terrific. Hope they can implement this all for the G1 also. Terrific news. Too much wine this evening to start playing with downloads and upgrades LOL.

Jonas

Not bad, not bad at all. Now I hope they do the same for the G1 and the GH1.

After having used the little G20/1.7 for some time I have decided to keep it. I wonder if the update will do anything for it also for still imaging?

/Jonas