The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash For GF1

wjlapier

I'm looking for a compact flash to mount on my GF1 for those rare moments when I do use flash. I'd like it to tilt and swivel so I can bounce off a ceiling or wall. The GF1 flash is fine for some stuff, but this Thankgiving I'd liked to have had an external flash bounced.

So, what is everyone using? I do have a SB800, but for some reason I can't get it to fire--probably me. But still, I'd like something smaller--tilt-able with swival.

If you could show a pic of the flash on your GF1, G1, EP1, that would be an added bonus.

Thanx--

Greg Lockrey

I like my Metz 48-AF1. You have to specify which camera system you are using, but just about all makes are covered. It's TTL compatable too.

A

alanwf

I think that's on sale at B+H for a great price now. I have several of the larger Metz flashes and they are very well made. (Don't have the Olympus module yet though.)

JMaher

The SB800 should work fine - just set it on manual or auto. Mine has worked with everything I have tried it on. However I don't have a GF1 to try it on. If you can't get it to work let me know and I will put mine on a G1 and test it.

Jim

mark1958

I have a metz 36AF and it works well. THe oympus/panasonic 36FL is a popular choice as well. I have the larger metz 54 and can get a module for it but it is awfully big for this little camera. The problem with all these flashes is that they inhibit the use of the EVF. I am going to try the metz 28 as a digital slave. It has gotten good reviews in use with other point and shoot cameras.

Rich M

I have a metz 36AF and it works well. THe oympus/panasonic 36FL is a popular choice as well. I have the larger metz 54 and can get a module for it but it is awfully big for this little camera. The problem with all these flashes is that they inhibit the use of the EVF. I am going to try the metz 28 as a digital slave. It has gotten good reviews in use with other point and shoot cameras.
I use the Metz 28 CS-2 digital slave.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electro...litz-28-cs-2-digital/product-information.html

I like its size and durability. More importantly, it doesn't block the EVF slot. The only tip I have using this (or any other optical slave) is to really reduce the flash output of the popup flash.

wjlapier

OK,
So I got the SB-800 to work with the GF1 in auto mode. Works very well bounced off the ceiling and walls. So, my quest is for a smaller version of the SB-800--anything?

Anyone use a SB-400 bouncing the flash? I see it doesn't tilt...hmmm.

Last edited:

Rich M

Rich thanks. i take it -- the hoods on the panasonic lenses do not block the flash?
Actually since it is a slave flash, it is triggered by the popup on-camera flash.

It is not mounted on the camera body.

I usually set the on-camera popup at -1 or even less and hold the Metz CS-2 in my left hand (I am right handed). I can point the slave at the ceiling for a bounce or direct it at the subject.

It also has a fold down bracket that allows it to be mounted alongside the GF-1, but I like the off-camera effect much better.

Regards......Richard