Site Sponsors

Thread: Flash For GF1

Post Thanks / Like

Flash For GF1

I'm looking for a compact flash to mount on my GF1 for those rare moments when I do use flash. I'd like it to tilt and swivel so I can bounce off a ceiling or wall. The GF1 flash is fine for some stuff, but this Thankgiving I'd liked to have had an external flash bounced.

So, what is everyone using? I do have a SB800, but for some reason I can't get it to fire--probably me. But still, I'd like something smaller--tilt-able with swival.

If you could show a pic of the flash on your GF1, G1, EP1, that would be an added bonus.

Thanx--

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flash For GF1

I like my Metz 48-AF1. You have to specify which camera system you are using, but just about all makes are covered. It's TTL compatable too.

alanwf

I think that's on sale at B+H for a great price now. I have several of the larger Metz flashes and they are very well made. (Don't have the Olympus module yet though.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The SB800 should work fine - just set it on manual or auto. Mine has worked with everything I have tried it on. However I don't have a GF1 to try it on. If you can't get it to work let me know and I will put mine on a G1 and test it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I have a metz 36AF and it works well. THe oympus/panasonic 36FL is a popular choice as well. I have the larger metz 54 and can get a module for it but it is awfully big for this little camera. The problem with all these flashes is that they inhibit the use of the EVF. I am going to try the metz 28 as a digital slave. It has gotten good reviews in use with other point and shoot cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I have a metz 36AF and it works well. THe oympus/panasonic 36FL is a popular choice as well. I have the larger metz 54 and can get a module for it but it is awfully big for this little camera. The problem with all these flashes is that they inhibit the use of the EVF. I am going to try the metz 28 as a digital slave. It has gotten good reviews in use with other point and shoot cameras.
    I use the Metz 28 CS-2 digital slave.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

I like its size and durability. More importantly, it doesn't block the EVF slot. The only tip I have using this (or any other optical slave) is to really reduce the flash output of the popup flash.

Post Thanks / Like

OK,
    So I got the SB-800 to work with the GF1 in auto mode. Works very well bounced off the ceiling and walls. So, my quest is for a smaller version of the SB-800--anything?

Anyone use a SB-400 bouncing the flash? I see it doesn't tilt...hmmm.
    Last edited by wjlapier; 29th November 2009 at 16:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Rich thanks. i take it -- the hoods on the panasonic lenses do not block the flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    I use the Metz 28 CS-2 digital slave.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

I like its size and durability. More importantly, it doesn't block the EVF slot. The only tip I have using this (or any other optical slave) is to really reduce the flash output of the popup flash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Rich thanks. i take it -- the hoods on the panasonic lenses do not block the flash?
    Actually since it is a slave flash, it is triggered by the popup on-camera flash.

It is not mounted on the camera body.

I usually set the on-camera popup at -1 or even less and hold the Metz CS-2 in my left hand (I am right handed). I can point the slave at the ceiling for a bounce or direct it at the subject.

It also has a fold down bracket that allows it to be mounted alongside the GF-1, but I like the off-camera effect much better.

Regards......Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus FL-36R work as slave flash too, which is useful with GF1.