The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Extended grip for G1?

bensonga

Ok, I know many of you may think this is a ridiculous question....why look for a grip to make the G1 bigger? Isn't the whole point to have a smaller than DSLR, DSLR? Actually, for me, the main attraction of a G1 was a digital camera with superb manual focusing for my legacy MF lenses (Nikkors and Leica R) and I really don't like the smaller size of something like a GF1...the G1 is the smalledst I would consider.

So I got the Voigtlander adapter for my Nikon lenses and I love it. New life for my non-AIS Nikkor lenses! It's truly a wonderful marriage. Everyone is happy....except the last two fingers on my right hand keep looking for something to grab hold of....they are hanging out there in space or tucked in below the small G1 body, feeling somewhat useless.

I always buy the accessory battery grips for my Canon DSLRs, not so much for the second battery or vertical grip shutter button....but because my hand fits the camera so much better with that extra inch or two on the bottom of the camera body.

Anyone seen a grip of any sort that might fit the G1?

Gary

JBurnett

Would a hand strap (like the Canon E1) make any sense at all? It isn't a rigid grip, but your bottom two fingers might pull on the strap rather than just hang. You'd have to use the tripod socket for the bottom attachment. Camdapter makes some tripod plates with a strap attachment slot.

V

Vivek

I would like a battery grip for the G1. It would allow me to wrap my whole hand around the grip instead of just few fingers as it is now.

It is a pity that the battery cover can not be removed easily to allow that to happen.

B

bruce1s

It's not ridiculous, it is perfectly logical. I don't have my G1 yet but I had to make my own extended grip for my E-510 for those time I use the large 4/3 lenses like the 12-60 and 25/1.4. I traced the outline of the bottom of the camera and then sawed a piece of wood in the proper shape, painted it black and screwed it on with a spare screw. Not as good as a grip made by an outfit that knows what they are doing, but it works. I plan to do the same thing for the G1 unless some enterprising person starts to make a real product. Do you think that is likely? I would love a battery grip for the G1 even if I had to permanently remove the battery cover.

Ron Evers

I wish that the G1 used 4 AAs & had a slightly bigger grip to accommodate them. The grip is too small even with my small hands.