The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultimate Lumix print size question.

peterb

Using Photoshop (I suppose) what's the largest acceptable (gallery quality) print you can make with the G1, GH1 or the GF1?

Just curious.

bradhusick

It depends on the photo and the viewing distance but I suppose you wouldn't be disappointed with a 16x20 print. Perhaps even bigger.

scho

Using Photoshop (I suppose) what's the largest acceptable (gallery quality) print you can make with the G1, GH1 or the GF1?

Just curious.
This topic came up awhile ago (see link below to earlier thread). I routinely make 18x24 inch gallery wraps (print size before wrapping is 21x27 inches) from G1 and GF1 image files. I process and print from LR (scaling is done with GF) to a Canon iPF6100.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103602#post103602

Diane B

I have printed a 16 x 24 2 over 2 pano on my Epson 3800 but haven't printed anything larger from a normal m4/3rds file than 13 x 19 but feel that, for the right subject, I would be happy with the 16 x 24 size, so can't say from experience.

httivals

I've had a G1, kit zoom, and 20mm pancake, for only about a week now -- and I'm amazed at the quality. I've owned an original 5D for about 4 years+, and a 5DII for over a year, using tested, top quality "L" lenses. I'm pretty confident that a G1 file, exposed on a tripod with cable release, at base iso of 100 in RAW, will print as well, pixel per pixel as an original 5D file. Where the 5D will surpass the G1 is at iso 400 and above, thought the G1 is still excellent up to iso 800.

The G1 nails focus dead-on, in my experience, much more often than does the 5D; I think the contrast detect AF may be more precise than the Canon system? Whatever, I'm amazed at the quality of these cameras and lenses, and then when you take into account the prices and light weight and portability the Panasonics are amazing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It also depends what you print on; canvas requires a lot less resolution to look good, so you can print much larger on it. That said, G prints at 12x16 inches on gloss photo paper look awesome, and still very good at 16.5x22 inches even with your nose in it. Taking the normal pixel math into account, I would say you could do a canvas print that would look pretty good at up to 36x48 inches.

slau

I have printed a few 13X19 with my Epson 3800. Those images are with lots of details and the 13X19 prints look very well. Judging from those prints, the G1/GH1 full image can print 16X20 or even 20X24 without too much problem, assuming the image is perfectly focused and exposed. With subject matter without too much details (i.e. head and shoulder shot), the print size can even go larger.

This is one of the images I printed and you can see the kind of details I was talking about:

Recently, I have been shooting my G1/GH1 side-by-side with my Canon 1DMK3 and the G1/GH1 hold its place very well.