The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GW-1: the best accessory for the m4/3rds?

V

Vivek

I am still waiting for my proper step rings but managed to check the 20/1.7 with the GW-1.

As is the case with the Oly-D 17/2.8, the 20/1.7 also (auto) focuses faster when the GW-1 is attached.

Since there is no dramatic improvements in the contrast and such, the crucial factor appears to be the shortening of the focus throw!

Image quality from the set-up is more than acceptable to me, the close focus distance is also improved.

BTW, a 46 to 37mm step down ring can be left permanently on the 20/1.7 and will act as an effective, low profile lens hood.

Fabulous!:)

Audii-Dudii

I am still waiting for my proper step rings but managed to check the 20/1.7 with the GW-1.
So this turns the 20/1.7 into a 15/1.7, correct? And you say the resulting image quality is "good enough"? Given the price, this might make an interesting alternative to Panasonic's upcoming 14/2.8 (although it won't be anywhere near as compact, obviously.)

Hmm...

V

Vivek

Indeed.

Already, the GW-1 is glued to my 17/2.8 (~12.75mm). One really has to make use of this combo to find out how fast these start to work (in AF).

apicius9

Hi Vivek, if you find a moment, could you please post a few pics taken with/of that combo? Sounds interesting,

Stefan

Rawfa

Vivek, you've glued the GW-1 to the 17mm?! Isn't there a way to attach it via step down/up rings? Since I love shooting with wide angles and I could use faster lenses than the kit ones I'd love to know more about using the GW-1 on the 17mm and the 20mm. What is the attaching process? How bulky it gets? If you could post some pictures of the it and from it...

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek, if you find a moment, could you please post a few pics taken with/of that combo? Sounds interesting,

Stefan
I have posted many many photos here (even specifying the gear used, 17mm +GW-1).:)

Vivek, you've glued the GW-1 to the 17mm?! Isn't there a way to attach it via step down/up rings? Since I love shooting with wide angles and I could use faster lenses than the kit ones I'd love to know more about using the GW-1 on the 17mm and the 20mm. What is the attaching process? How bulky it gets? If you could post some pictures of the it and from it...

Rafa, Yes, I have the GW-1 attached to the Oly-D 17mm via a "spacer" (a 37mm filter without any glass). It is removable though I don't take it off except for the rare "test" times, like trying it with a 20/1.7. I am waiting for a 46 to 37mm step ring. I had to make use of several rings for the test.

It is "bulky" relative to the 17mm (more than double the size).

BTW, I had this (17mm +0.75X) and used it extensively during my short vacation to Barcelona earlier this summer.

Rawfa

Thanks, Vivek. Where did you get a 37mm spacer? Did you simply buy a cheap 37mm UV filter and broke the glass?
What is the minimum close up distance with the GW-1 on?

V

Vivek

You don't have to break anything, Rafa. Just unscrew the retaining ring and get rid off the glass. Minimum focus varies. It can be as close as 4cm (look at one of my posts on this very topic) and a sample shot is in your "fun with the 17mm" thread.;)

Here is a Oly-D 17/2.8 shot (Barcelona/Summer):

Here is one with the 17/2.8+ GW-1 (Barcelona/Summer):

Rawfa

Vivek, I've read on an older thread you've started about someone using the GW-1 with the 20mm f1.7 and the results were REALLY bad. Have you tried any other WA that works with the 20mm? As I've said before I shoot most of my stuff with at the wide end and it would be awesome to have an f1.7 wide angle.

V

Vivek

Vivek, I've read on an older thread you've started about someone using the GW-1 with the 20mm f1.7 and the results were REALLY bad. Have you tried any other WA that works with the 20mm? As I've said before I shoot most of my stuff with at the wide end and it would be awesome to have an f1.7 wide angle.

Rafa, Read that thread again (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11046). You are incorrect.

The one I referred to about close focusing distance (of 17/2.8) is this one:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12078

Rawfa

That thread was not very clear. I could not tell if the posted picts were from the 17mm or the 20mm. Either way there's no tests available with the 20mm which is what really intests me.

Anyone?

kai.e.g.

That thread was not very clear. I could not tell if the posted picts were from the 17mm or the 20mm. Either way there's no tests available with the 20mm which is what really intests me.

Anyone?
It "intests" me, too. However, reading that other thead, it all seemed totally clear what was going on. Vivek has, figuratively speaking, got the GW-1 "glued" to his 2.8/17mm, meaning it rarely leaves his lens (correct me if I'm wrong, Vivek - I didn't interpret this to mean you'd literally superglued the lens on). I didn't observe any comments about horrible performance.

Laptoprob, who is the only person to have posted images to that thread, was referring to the Olympus 0.8x and 0.45x adapters he has, commenting that he'd never do it again as the results were awful. This was with the 20mm Lumix.

It'd be "intesting" to see results with the dmw-lw46 mentioned by willpix in that thread, but all this talk of over-taxing the focusing motor has got me worried.

For that reason, I'd be more interested in a wide-angle adapter that works in tandem with a 25mm c-mount lens in such a way that no vignetting occurs. Vivek has already mentioned doing something like this with his computar.

Y.B.Hudson III

on the 20mm 1.7, the dmw-lw46, I didn't like it's performance. The GW1 doesn't seem to work at aperatures faster than 2.8, and I haven't tried the new GW2...which might?

These were casual observations, I didn't bother to save any of the experiments.

Hudson