The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Asking all hawks_factory buyers with Arriflex adapter

I

IanB

I just received my Arri standard to M4/3 adapter. It is of great quality, and really has a secure solid feel. Unfortunetly, I am not getting infinity with my lenses. I have a 10mm F1.8 Schneider Cinegon that has a 17mm image circle.

I immediately bolted on my lens and adapter and I get about 1 inch of focus to 1 foot.

I measured the adapter, and I expected to see approximately a 32mm flange to lthe end of the lens mount on the adapter. What I see is a 34.5mm flange to end of lens mount distance. This means I am getting an effective 54.5mm distance from my lens to the sensor. The design of the Arri standard is 52mm, so I was hoping someone had this adapter as well, and could measure theres to find out the distance.

It doesn't appear mine is made 'out of spec'. Just that it doesn't seam to recess as far as needed to achieve the 52mm flange distance.

Any idea's?

kds315

Many of the Arri lenses which can be found 2nd hand are quite worn out from many years of film use (or rental), so that might be the problem. Arri(flex) has a 52mm register if you like to check (distance from the flange - not lens end -to film/sensor)

I

IanB

Yeah, I am pretty convinced this might just be a really beat-up version.

However, it has taken a nice picture (well nice for my workspace) that I wanted to post. Anyone else have any ideas?

This is cropped to remove the corners and that's about it...(taken in 16:9 mode)

Thanks
IB

Photomorgana

I have Hawks Arri to Leica-M adapter and the thickness of it is just over 24mm, which means your Arri to m4/3 should be about 32mm in thickness.

You might want to contact Hawk and ask him to calibrate his calipers. :)

I

IanB

Here is the 'thickness' of 33.5mm.

Also there is a gap after you lock the lens in, that creates an additional 1mm.
Total flange distance of about 54.5mm

The BEST NEWS....Hawks is in contact and I am communicating with him, he genuinely wants to ensure everything is working with his products. Hoping for a very positive outcome. Will keep others up-to-date, and if you could share your experience, I think it would help both me and Hawks figure this thing out.

IB

I

IanB

Here is some more detailed photo's with a digital caliper that was 'zero-ed' correctly.

Hawk and I are waiting on his own specs to be sent to me, and also on a lens coming back in from Schneider that is certified reconditioned and working well within the QA specs. Then we'll know if my adapter isn't correct, or if it is the old lens I have that hasn't seen a tech in 20+ yrs.

First picture is flange to 'nose' of the adapter.

Second picture is flange to the lenses mount.

Third picture is to show the 'gap' between the nose, and the lens mount. (not a big deal if you still hit 52mm to the sensor, but I am not, so I thought I would show the distance.)

So, if the GH1 is 20mm (for argument, that is the number I can find) and the adapter plus lens is 33.34, that gives me 53.34 to the sensor, (which appears to be what I am getting in my images). Anyway enough typing, well keep everyone up-to-date on the progress.

I have 2 of his adapters and 3 Arri-Std lenses. All lens/adapter combinations focus correctly. Also, there is no difference between the LOCK and the UNLOCK position.

Cheers
Peter

Adding to the previous post, the apparent difference between LOCK and UNLOCK positions is only in the outer length of the adapter. The distance between the back of the lens and the camera flange does not change. Hope this helps.

BTW, this 25mm/1.5 Xenon is many decades old and still going strong