The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I resisted making this purchase with every fiber of my being...

Audii-Dudii

So what is the new purchase?
Um, a pair of OEM batteries. I have a pile of aftermarket batteries for my G1, but thanks to Panasonic's decision to have their firmware prevent the use of aftermarket batteries, I had no choice but to buy a pair of OEM batteries for my GF1 bodies. :-(

Audii-Dudii

OK, I need a new battery as well. Where, how and how much? Please. ;)
I don't know if it's the best possible price, but I got mine from Amazon.com for $46.95 each because I was already ordering some other stuff and it was convenient to add the batteries to my existing order.

javanutsy

Oh nice. Somehow the image didn't appear when I first saw this thread... I thought I read somewhere that third party batteries have become available for the GF1. But as I recall, the price is not that much better than what you paid. And going OEM will guarantee that they will continue to work after future firmware upgrades :)

btrancho

Ever since the 1.4 firmware upgrade I am using a pair of third party batteries in my G1 with no problem. I bought them months ago from jinfinance and the G1 choked on them after the 1.3 upgrade. Since installing 1.4 they work fine, though sometimes immediately after inserting a freshly charged unit the camera say no - I simple shut it off and turn it back on and the battery works fine from that point on. I think I paid less than $40 for the pair. There are less expensive versions available now.

Of course, a future firmware update might block their use, but I don't intend to update unless there is a compelling reason (i.e. - enabling the MF assist operation by pressing the rear dial, as in the new GF1 firmware) - then I'll take the chance.

MRfanny

I wouldnt blink an eyelid paying $50US for OEM bats. Here in Australia the price is about $150US for bloody one! A nice indication of what Panasonic Australia think of their local consumers hey.

pellicle

I wouldnt blink an eyelid paying $50US for OEM bats. Here in Australia the price is about $150US for bloody one! A nice indication of what Panasonic Australia think of their local consumers hey.
the usual BS is "its the exchange rate increase"

what they really mean is the increase they place on the items when they exchange them from their supplier to me.

perhaps we need to have "another recession we had to have"