The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 vs. s90

m3photo

Hello playmates! Just thought I'd copy and paste this message which I wrote in answer to Rawfa's plea on the Small Sensor Cameras section on GetDpi for any information as to buying/using/posting with the new Canons - G11 and s90.

OK, I've decided on an s90. Had the s50 (nice flip open, reminded me of my Olympus Mju), then G6 (lovely lens), then G9 (good all-rounder) BUT ...
s90; What a sensor! It's a perfect little always-with-you camera that has a charming double personality: a good quality RAW shooter that delivers files you can get lots from and an Auto everything jpeg party shooter that even takes ambient light into consideration when taking indoor flash snaps. Talking of personality, one funny trait is the fact that said RAW files seem to come out with more sharpening than the jpegs, go figure.

Anyway, the man said posting, so I thought coming from the m4/3rds crowd I'd show you a couple of side-by-sides with a G1. All shots 16bit Raws just tapping the Auto button in Camera RAW then downsampled to jpegs for posting. I found that the s90's responded well to the Shadow-Highlight command in Photoshop at 100% Highlight/50% Tonal Width and the bottom slider I always leave on at the maximum 2500 anyway; no halos this way. No sharpening - as stated before, the s90's don't need them and I thought it fairer not to touch the G1's.

First the 28mm equivalent pair. Both at f/3.5 as that's the maximum aperture on the G1's kit zoom and although the s90 boasts f/2 at 28mm equivalent it's only for emergencies, f/2:8 is fine but for a bit more dynamic range I'd say f/4's the sweet spot (naturally at this sensor size, depth of field is the same anywhere you set the aperture on shots like this).

G1:

s90:

This second pair is at 90mm equivalent on the G1 (max zoom) and 105mm equivalent on the s90 (max zoom) both widest aperture here, i.e. f/5.6 on the G1 and f/4.9 on the s90.

G1:

s90:

Have fun (resisting temptation, that is!) :D

J

jerryk

So are planning on carrying the s90 instead of you G1?

How are the items such as focusing speed and shutter lag?

m3photo

Re: focusing speed and shutter lag

So are planning on carrying the s90 instead of you G1?

How are the items such as focusing speed and shutter lag?
Not instead of, rather with. The thing is, it's so small and light it would be silly not to have it with you all the time. I've then got a decent wide angle at f/2.8 (and f/2, as I said for emergencies) and the G1 with my 50mm f/1.5 and whatever else I want to use with it i.e. my 105mm Nikkor.

Focusing speed and shutter lag are OK considering it's a compact, however, I've never worried about fractions of a second, I don't shoot sports and if I miss a shot I miss a shot ...

m3photo

Am I insane or does the S90 display slightly more apparent dynamic range?
No visits to the psychiatrist necessary - the s90 does respond rather well doesn't it? However, I must say that the Highlight command did help here, although obviously if the sensor hadn't recorded anything no amount of tweaking would have brought it back.

I posted this comparison on the Small Sensor Camera forum and Lars Vinberg said:
"The only thing I see worth noting is that the S90 blows highlights in a less flattering way than the G1 (highlight reflection in the boat)."

What I saw was the fact that there was more in the shadow area of the boat's bow:

Horses for courses as usual ... :D

For those who haven't visited the thread over there; I added message Nº 20 on said forum with another example from this camera, this time at high ISO:
http://www.forums.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164439#post164439

barjohn

Here is DXO Marks comparison between the S90 and the G1. It is really interesting how well the little S90 does. I picked one up and have been trying it out. At base ISO 80 it produces very high quality images.

Last edited: