Site Sponsors

Thread: E-620 and EP-1/2 the same inside???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-620 and EP-1/2 the same inside???

Hi,
    Other than size and form, are the EP cameras and the E-620 the same internally? It looks like they have different processors but what about the sensor? And is there a big difference between the TRUEPIC V IMAGE PROCESSOR in the EP cameras and the TRUEPIC III+ IMAGE PROCESSOR in the 620?
    Thanks,
    John
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-620 and EP-1/2 the same inside???

I believe that the sensor for the three models (and also the E30) are all basically the same. But the image processor has been changed/tweaked from one model to the next.
    Never had the E620 but still have the E30 (I believe that was Tru Pic III) and I would say that the EP1/EP2 have slightly better Dynamic Range and that the higher ISOs are certainly better than the E30 was able to get.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve, I've been looking at several cameras, the Ricoh GRX, EP1 & 2, E620 and E30. I considered the E30 & 620 thinking the handling would be better when using my OM lenses and the image quality would be the same as the EP1/2. The EP1/2 for their small size and large sensor, and image quality on par with the E30-620. And finally the GRX for the large sensor and incredible user interface. My GRD is my favorite digital camera. I've owned the Pentax K10D & K20D and wanted something easier to carry around. My GRD is always with me.... I briefly considered the GRDIII, but want the image quality the larger sensor cameras offer. I have adjusted to composing with the LCD screen on my GRD so don't think I'll miss an EVF, and if I feel the need to have a viewfinder I'll grab one of my OM's....
    John
    Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    I have adjusted to composing with the LCD screen on my GRD so don't think I'll miss an EVF, and if I feel the need to have a viewfinder I'll grab one of my OM's....
    John
    My only suggestion would be that if you do intend to do a lot of shooting with legacy/MF lenses, then consider the EP2 as opposed to the EP1. The EVF is a GODSEND for MF - even with the normal 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. It is so good that I generally don't even bother with the MF Assist/Magnification mode any more.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the advice Steve.....
    Ricoh GR