The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first GH1 Video

simonclivehughes

Well, I finally got to it and finished editing footage I had shot during the late summer with the GH1. These images were taken on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula, shot with the GH1 on a Gitzo tripod with a Libec fluid head. I used 720 60p AVCHD and the Vivid setting, but all at manual exposures with lots of NDSs etc to keep shutter speed sane. I mostly used manual focus F lenses such as the Zeiss ZF 35mm f2, the 105mm f2.8 VR and the 60mm f2.8 macro. I also shot with the 14-140mm HD lens as well as the 45-200mm and the Oly 9-18mm WA.

The footage was cut in iMovie ’09 where I did some slo-mo and added some saturation. I set it to Bruce Cockburn’s “End of All Rivers”, from his album “Speechless - The Instrumental Bruce Cockburn”.

Here's a link to the video page:

http://web.me.com/simonchughes/Site/Video.html

Here's a link to an article with more in-depth details of the experience.

http://web.me.com/simonchughes/Site...9/8/29_Field_Report_of_the_Panasonic_GH1.html

Comments are most welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Diane,

Thanks so much for your comments. Indeed the Olympic Peninsula is beautiful... we just keep going back. Interestingly, I had originally cut the project to a much different, longer song, but listening to this tune the other day just compelled me to recut it.

I'd welcome any comments about the size and any download/viewing issues... I find the window a bit small, but I'm trying to balance the size and bandwidth etc.

Ciao,

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I find the window a bit small, but I'm trying to balance the size and bandwidth etc.

Nice video. Why not upload it to vimeo.com because the window is really small.

Uwe

MRfanny

yes join us on vimeo and share your clip with all the other gh1 owners. its too small to appreciate it=)

Terry

Agree on the size.....and I did run into a buffering issue

That being said I do like it and the choice of music.

simonclivehughes

Thanks for all your comments, they're much appreciated. I will look at joining Vimeo and posting the video there. I hadn't bothered as I mentioned, it's really the first video I've done, so it's not as if I have anything else much to contribute.

Ciao,

greypilgrim

Nice video, and I have to agree about the music. I have been there many times (my sister lives in Seattle). Looks like you hit Hoh, Hurricane Ridge (I ahve pictures of a deer in the same area :) ), Ruby Beach, etc... Just a magical place, and your video does a good job capturing the mood and he variation.

Thanks for sharing),

Doug

simonclivehughes

Doug,

Thanks for the kudos, the Peninsula is certainly a magical place. The video shows the following locations: Hurricane Ridge, Rialto Beach, Second Beach, Ruby Beach, Kalaloch Beach and the Hoh Rain Forest.

Cheers,

greypilgrim

Doug,

Thanks for the kudos, the Peninsula is certainly a magical place. The video shows the following locations: Hurricane Ridge, Rialto Beach, Second Beach, Ruby Beach, Kalaloch Beach and the Hoh Rain Forest.

Cheers,
We've stayed at the lodge at Kalaloch a number of times. A really good place to have as a base for day trips :). There's a nature trail right across the road that goes through a less well known section of the rain forest. An easy stroll that provides quite a few photographic opportunities. I've never been to Beach 2. Beach 4 has some really cool tidepools and rock formations.

Also, the Lake Quinalt area has some fascinating easy hikes.

Again, thanks for sharing (makes me want to go back again soon :) )

Doug

wjlapier

Very nice Simon. We go to Cannon Beach every year during spring break. I'm hoping I too can create a nice video like your's. Inspiring!

simonclivehughes

Thank you so much. I value your feedback. I have to admit I'm tickled pink how it turned out. I'm looking forward to having a go at the footage in Final Cut Studio 2. I've yet to figure out the process of getting the AVCVD clips into FCP and getting rid of the pulldown. Many people seem to be using Neoscene or Voltaic externally before FCP, but I know others are doing in all within FCP and Compressor. Ah well... more studying. :lecture:

Ciao,

simonclivehughes

Thanks, I'm already a member there. I'm still trying to come to terms with the best way to process the GH1 video though. I have FCS2, so FCP 6.0.6 and I can inhale the AVCHD into it directly but then I have questions that never seem to get answered on DVXUser, such as:

1. I see people using Toast, Neoscene and Voltaic etc before FCP... why?
2. If I take the footage directly into FCP, at what point do I convert it to 24p and how?
3. How do I get rid of the pulldown?
4. Do I cut first then do this later???

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers,

I

IanB

Simon,
To answer some of your questions. The basic concept of using the pre-processing programs is to perform a process called commonly on the web as 'pulldown removal'. What people are trying to do, is extract from the 60i 'wrapper' the true 24 progressive frames without any 60i wrapper.

The reason they want to do this, is that the 60i wrapper looks to most video sources like 29.xx interlaced frames per second. The 29 interlaced frames have duplicate frames in them, which if you want a 'true' 24p signal. You need to remove them. This is what these other pre-processing tools do, they convert the 60i wrapper and 29i frames into true "24 progressive frames".

Everything else, color, contrast, editing (with the exception of audio) is done within one NLE program like FCP. Then exported in some compression format that fits their distribution medium. (Vimeo, Blu-Ray, DVD etc...)

NeoScene performs this function without a hitch, and does a nice job with it's own codec.

My final .02 cents advice, is that if you are not worried about it, and don't see any issue with the video's you are producing for the media you intend to distribute. Do not try and mess with a good thing. It will save you plenty of headaches and time.

IB

PS. On a more constructive criticism note, look at the rocks and the background in the shot at 4:22, now I am not looking at the background in this shot, but you can see where the GH1 is not very good at producing black and very very dark grey. Notice the compression and potentially the GH1 original footage struggling to produce detail in those objects. In the future I think (well maybe!) that you coudl try to increase your exposure so that you over-expose, then bring things down in post with contrast and brightness so it looks correct, then your dark area's won't show up so 'blocky' like that are at 4:22. Good luck!

Last edited: