The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbie question regarding raw conversion of G1 on mac

G

gme109

Just got a new G1 a few days ago. I've updated the firmware, and gone through the menus and set everything up. I've already taken some jpegs and uploaded them to my mac, no problem. But now I'd like to do the same with raw files. I'm running Mac 10.4 OS. I downloaded Adobe 5.2 raw converter, which is suppose to convert G1 raw files to DNG, but the files are grayed out, so I'm unable to select them.
Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be, I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... the images you want to convert have to be in a folder first...so drag the ones you want into a folder and it should work...

But then again it's a pain and the files you get are huge, Better yet, I use irident digital, camera raw converter 1.8.7... it is a joy to use, simply drag and drop in the individual files you want to convert... I like the looks one can get with it more than adobe...

regards Hudson

iiiNelson

I bought Lightroom 2 about a year ago when I got the D-Lux 4 and knew I was buying a G1 as well. I personally like the look you can get from Adobe but then there are other choices now as well. The good thing about Adobe products are that there tends to be a wider range of compatible plug-ins and the updates come relatively fast. Lightroom catalogs everything as well so you don't have to work with everything at the file/folder level if you don't want to.

I believe that Raw Converter 5.3 and higher was the compatible ACR profile for G1 but it's been a while since the original G1 update so I'm not too sure.

G

gme109

Yehh... the images you want to convert have to be in a folder first...so drag the ones you want into a folder and it should work...

But then again it's a pain and the files you get are huge, Better yet, I use irident digital, camera raw converter 1.8.7... it is a joy to use, simply drag and drop in the individual files you want to convert... I like the looks one can get with it more than adobe...

regards Hudson

I tried that and still no go, they continue to be grayed out.

G

gme109

I bought Lightroom 2 about a year ago when I got the D-Lux 4 and knew I was buying a G1 as well. I personally like the look you can get from Adobe but then there are other choices now as well. The good thing about Adobe products are that there tends to be a wider range of compatible plug-ins and the updates come relatively fast. Lightroom catalogs everything as well so you don't have to work with everything at the file/folder level if you don't want to.

I believe that Raw Converter 5.3 and higher was the compatible ACR profile for G1 but it's been a while since the original G1 update so I'm not too sure.
Just checked again, and 5.2 does cover the G1.

Not sure what gives here.

Godfrey

With DNG Converter, you choose the folder the files are contained in, not the files themselves. If you want to convert just a few files, drag the files themselves onto the DNG Converter icon before you start DNG Converter. It will start and list the files you dragged onto it.

DNG Converter v5.2 will convert G1 files to linear representation DNG raw files. Better, though, to use DNG Converter v5.4 (Apple PowerPC) or DNG Converter v5.5 (Apple Intel ... v5.5 has a bug on PowerPC). Be sure to set the options for compatibility with the correct version of Camera Raw.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>which is suppose to convert G1 raw files to DNG

Why do you want to convert to DNG? ACR can use the raw images directly. With DNG you limit your choices of raw converters.

Also why not using the latest version of ACR (should be 5.5)?

Uwe

Godfrey

Lightroom

... I have to admit, i wasn't sure why you were trying to convert your files to DNG in the first place. But my brain was fuzzy last evening ... too tired.

I use Lightroom. All versions since v2.2 have handled the G1's RW2 files directly and do a great job. The latest release version is v2.5 and it works great on all Intel based systems, has some problems on PowerPC based systems (same problems Camera Raw/DNG Converter v5.5 have)* so if you're on an Apple PowerPC system, I recommend sticking with Lightroom v2.4.

* A new version, Lightroom v2.6 Release Candidate, is available that fixes these problems on Apple-PowerPC systems.

I mention these PowerPC issues because you stated you were running Mac OS X v10.4.x, which is most likely an older system.

G

gme109

With a Mac I recommend raw developer.
After several failed attempts with Adobe products, I downloaded RAW Developer 1.8.7, it worked from the get go, and its fast. So far I'm impressed.

G

gme109

Re: Lightroom

... I have to admit, i wasn't sure why you were trying to convert your files to DNG in the first place. But my brain was fuzzy last evening ... too tired.

I use Lightroom. All versions since v2.2 have handled the G1's RW2 files directly and do a great job. The latest release version is v2.5 and it works great on all Intel based systems, has some problems on PowerPC based systems (same problems Camera Raw/DNG Converter v5.5 have)* so if you're on an Apple PowerPC system, I recommend sticking with Lightroom v2.4.

* A new version, Lightroom v2.6 Release Candidate, is available that fixes these problems on Apple-PowerPC systems.

I mention these PowerPC issues because you stated you were running Mac OS X v10.4.x, which is most likely an older system.

I'm using an Intel Core Duo Mac, with 10.4.11 OS. I'm using an older version of Adobe PS though. Power PC version 8.0. I think that is why I can't use Camera Raw converter 5.5, or 5.6. Only 5.2 would install, but would still not convert my G1 raw files.

Godfrey

I'm using an Intel Core Duo Mac, with 10.4.11 OS. I'm using an older version of Adobe PS though. Power PC version 8.0. I think that is why I can't use Camera Raw converter 5.5, or 5.6. Only 5.2 would install, but would still not convert my G1 raw files.
Not sure why you're still running Mac OS X v10.4.11. There are many plusses to Leopard (v10.5) particularly for the Intel-based machines, and more plusses still for Snow Leopard (v10.6). It's time to upgrade your OS. (And expand your system memory to the max if you haven't already; RAM is so cheap now it's not worth fussing about with less than at least 2Gbytes.)

You need Photoshop CS4 to use Camera Raw v5.x. The last PowerPC only version of Photoshop CSx was CS2, CS3 and CS4 run native code on Intel-based machines. Photoshop Elements 8 is the current version for Mac OS X ... I am pretty sure that anything past PSE 6 is native code on Intel-based machines.

If you download and try Lightroom 2.5, it will work perfectly on your system just like Iridient Raw Developer does. You're just trying to work with software which is too old for the camera you're using.

snowy

Why not use the SilkyPix software that came with the G1? That's what I've installed on my Mac and it seems to work fine. Having said that the jpegs that come out of the camera are pretty good...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Silkypix, LR, RAW Developer, Capture One (not on PPC though) are all good RCs. It very much depends on what you want. But in all cases I use Lightroom as my main organizer. 60K images need at least some organization.

snowy

It produces good results, but gives me a headache to try to figure out when i want to do something. I deleted it from my system.
Hmm, I guess any new software takes some time to learn and get used to. I don't have (and can't justify spending money on) the latest versions of software like Lightroom or Photoshop, so I'm happy to make the effort to learn the free stuff!

Godfrey

... software, costs, and value ...

Hmm, I guess any new software takes some time to learn and get used to. I don't have (and can't justify spending money on) the latest versions of software like Lightroom or Photoshop, so I'm happy to make the effort to learn the free stuff!
I tried with SP because a very good friend who's work I respect loved it. I could not get on with the clumsy and miserable UI.

I justify spending at least as much for premium quality software as I do for a premium quality lens. My good lenses cost me between $500 and $1500 apiece. The software I use has at least as much influence on the quality of my work as the lenses do. (Same goes for the tripod too.)

So at $300 for Lightroom and $600 for Photoshop CS4, I feel I'm getting a bargain (and, btw, I didn't pay that much anyway! ... ;-).

slau

I have been using Mac Pro and Lightroom with my G1/GH1 files. Currently I use Mac OS X 10.5.8, Lightroom 2.4 and CS3. I could not use the latest Camera Raw due to they are not compatible with any version older than CS4. I used to use Camera Raw for all my Canon raw conversion and only changed over to Lightroom (as I stayed with CS3) due to the need to support the Panasonic/Olympus raw files.

Have you tried to download the Lightroom 3 Beta (or Lightroom 2 trial) and see if it helps?

G

gme109

Not sure why you're still running Mac OS X v10.4.11. There are many plusses to Leopard (v10.5) particularly for the Intel-based machines, and more plusses still for Snow Leopard (v10.6). It's time to upgrade your OS. (And expand your system memory to the max if you haven't already; RAM is so cheap now it's not worth fussing about with less than at least 2Gbytes.)

You need Photoshop CS4 to use Camera Raw v5.x. The last PowerPC only version of Photoshop CSx was CS2, CS3 and CS4 run native code on Intel-based machines. Photoshop Elements 8 is the current version for Mac OS X ... I am pretty sure that anything past PSE 6 is native code on Intel-based machines.

If you download and try Lightroom 2.5, it will work perfectly on your system just like Iridient Raw Developer does. You're just trying to work with software which is too old for the camera you're using.
You're right, its time for a system upgrade. I've been putting off upgrading my Mac for a while now. I plan on enjoying my new camera purchase to the max, so its time to invest a little more, and take full advantage of its capabilities.

Thanks for the advice.