The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss C/Y mount wides

R

rachp

I have an interesting problem I hope you guys can help me with. I have Zeiss 16mm fisheye and the 18mm f4 C/Y mount. I just tried these lenses on my GH-1 and I cannot get focus. No focus any where thru the range.

I was advised it could be the adapter so I tried my 3 other Zeiss lenses and they work fine - all over 50mm. Both lenses work perfectly on my Canon bodies.

Any thoughts on why they will not work on the GH-1?

Thanks!

PeterB666

Some wide lenses send the light to the sensor at too great an angle for the MFT sensors. Some of the wide Leicas suffer from similar problems.

R

rachp

Thanks for the reply! I found a lot of comments on corner smearing but I wasn't sure it this was the same issue. I guess so :(

monza

Hmm...focus and corner smearing are two different things. Even if the wide angle smears the corners, the center should be able to be focused...

Jonas

(...)16mm fisheye and the 18mm f4 C/Y mount. I just tried these lenses on my GH-1 and I cannot get focus. No focus any where thru the range.
Do you mean literally nothing in focus anywhere in the frame no matter how you turn the poor focusing rings?

CVickery

I suspect an adapter issue. I had a the same issue with my Tamron 17/3.5 Adapters tend to be made a bit on the thin side to ensure infinity focus. Generally this works fine, but where multiple adapters are used there is a multiplier effect (ie if each adapter is .1mm too thin and use use AII>OM>EF>mFT you could end up being .4mm too thin). The other part of this puzzle is related to the nature of wide angle lenses. You will note that the amount that the amount of movement of the lens elements necessary to go from minimum focus distance to infinity gets smaller as the FL of the lens gets smaller (compare the amount the elements move in a 400mm lens to your 18mm) My Tamron 17/3.5 goes from minimum focus distance to infinity with ~2-3mm of movement. In my case the sum of the errors in the adapter thickness exceeded this amount and the lens was unable to focus on anything at any distance.

You can check to see if this is your problem by releasing the lens from the adapter and while watching the LV, gradually move the lens out from the adapter.

R

rachp

Hi guys - thanks for the comments! Yes, I get nothing in focus from start to finish. Explained like that, CVickery, I can see how each adapter can multiply any error. I will give your test a try tonight - Nice thinking!

At this point, if it is adapter issues, I will probably just give up the thought of using these two lenses on this body. I have other options and I hope they will be less trouble :)

R

rachp

Just an update... It is an adapter issue but I am not sure what the problem was. I have exchanged it and the new one is perfect. Thanks for all the replies!

slau

I also think this is an adapter issue. But the adapter has to be really out of 'spec' to not allowing anything in focus.

I have used C/Y adapter to M4/3 with a few Zeiss lenses (from 28 to 100mm) on my G1/GH1, they all seem to be working fine. At least I don't have any focusing problem as described. Good luck.

R

rachp

Thanks, Stephen. My other adapter works perfectly and I am very happy now :)

The Contax 16mm fisheye is a beauty on the GH-1!!

R

rachp

I don't seem to have any issues with the corners that I have noticed with quick looks. I can post some samples in a few days. Keep checking back - I will post them.

R

rachp

I still don't have any samples to post - I thought I had my ACR updated but I did not. I will get some up next week. The corners do look good, tho!