The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 fun

ustein

Contributing Editor
We have the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens for 2 weeks to review. The first test were a lot of fun to create some crazy images:

But the lens also shines with normal indoor scenes like this (San Juan Bautista State Park):

We also create a short video:

http://vimeo.com/8228252

The fact that this lens is so light makes it so flexible. Combine this with the GH1/G1 swivel LCD and you can do shots easily that are hard to get otherwise (overhead, down, waste level, holding the camera into a car freehand). Quite happy for day one of our tests.

We are hooked and now this lens is very hard to get. Donate yours to us :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

Re: Panasonci 7-14mm f/4 fun

LOL - people complain about the price until they use it and figure out how much fun it is. Then they marvel at the size weight compared to other ultra wide lenses. Also nice that it is a constant f4 max aperture.

Really like the first shot.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>people complain about the price until they use it and figure out how much fun it is.

Yes, I was one of them. Now I think this is a unique lens in combination with the GH1. The lens quality is good (don't care much that it is corrected in camera or ACR) but the handling is exceptional.

Now I need to get one.

Here are more photos (and more to come):

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Res...onic-7-14mm-f4/10673550_2n8re#743018879_hLe32

Uwe

PS: The first nice shots from that lens were actually your Iceland photos.

httivals

I've also had the lens for about 1 week now, and agree that it's a phenomenal lens, and well worth the price. When you combine it with a G1, it's a magical lens and camera.

JBurnett

Thanks for these samples Uwe (I like the Silver Racer series). This looks like another winner for micro-4/3.

Jonas

The price... well, here in Sweden it is USD 1.400 (and that price is before the moms (our VAT) is added). That is expensive. With the tax added it is USD 1.750 but that's another story.

Uwe, I like the third image. It's arranged and not my style but it is an image of a room decorated in a way I wouldn't think of doing it, really giving me a sense of a place somewhere else but at home. The suitcase and the other stuff adds to that of course.

regards,

Jonas

ustein

Contributing Editor

>When you combine it with a G1, it's a magical lens and camera.

Absolutely.

I have only few lenses that I am kind of emotional attached too:

- Canon 70-200 f/4 IS (because I use it that much, our favorite range, could be even better I guess)
- Canon 100mm Macro
- Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 (very nice for our Fort Point work)

and now

- Panasonic 7-14mm (because of the handling with the G1/GH1 nothing can compare)

Uwe

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor

>not my style but it is an image

Jonas, not my style either.

But a little bit of background. I work on documenting the San Juan Bautista State Park in stills and video as a volunteer (meens no pay). My purpose is to help the Park and use it as my trainings ground.

This shot was without a tripod leaning the GH1 on a shaky tourist fence (keep visitors out). From the perspective of my documentation this is a very nice shot and shows that the lens is not only usable for crazy WA framing (which I like of course too). No way I would be able to get this shot without the GH1 swivel LCD and its light weight.

Teski

Nice shots Uwe! This lens is the next piece I need to round out my kit with the 20, 45, and 14-140. Thanks for sharing these! Looking forward to seeing more.

Jonas

(...) I work on documenting the San Juan Bautista State Park in stills and video as a volunteer (meens no pay). My purpose is to help the Park and use it as my trainings ground.
That explains the odd setting, and the smoke detector as well. And in the end it became an image I liked to look at also if it really was a museum visit. Thanks.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>the smoke detector as well.

The new versions have the detectors removed.

Next week I photograph inside other buildings areas that are not available for visitors.

Here are some shots from 2009 in the State Park:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOP...ista-State-Park/8934459_X7XNE#593234405_XrvEi

From ther Living History events:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPProjects/SJBLivingHistory/8464186_7BExU#556411323_uqYn9

Our first video with the E-P1 (including sound on E-P1)

http://vimeo.com/5966850

Uwe

ustein

Contributing Editor
Not sure I ever photographed horsed like this.

Hollister is ranch land with many horses. They cannot be ignored :)

They were so close to the fence that not other lens would have a chance. Also changing angles is so easy.