The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Christmas Decorations G1 with 20 1.7

lmr

Christmas Decorations... fun

Took them this morning. Fun Camera & Lens...

Enjoy...

Do not mind the old Title... my bad... just join in & add your pictures taken with m43.

Robert.

Last edited:

vincechu

Re: Christmas Decorations... fun

Took them this morning. Fun Camera & Lens...

Enjoy...

Do not mind the old Title... my bad... just join in & add your pictures taken with m43.

Robert.
Hi Robert,

I really like your photos above have blurred backgrounds and focus on the decorations.

I'm a newbie to photography (less than a month) and I've been trying to experiment with getting blurred backgrounds (think this is called bokeh) in my photos like you've done in your shots.

I have a Panasonic G1 with the 14-45mm kit lens and haven't had any luck, I've only managed to do this once by using manual focus and another time using the A mode (aperture) by luck. If possible could you give me some tips?

Many thanks,

Vince

Amin

Hi Vince, just set the lens to 45mm (full telephoto) and in 'A' mode set the f-stop to f/5.6. Then get close to your subject and make sure the background that you want to blur is a decent distance away, not too close to the subject. That will get you the blur you're after.

lmr

Sorry did not reply earlier...

Yes... do what Amin suggested... (Thank U Amin)
or...
Get the 20mm/1.7 or the 45mm macro... they tend to have the bokeh effect you are after.

Of course if you stick a Leica lens to the G1, you will get the smoooooth bokeh, selective focus (Shallow DOF) & 3D effect.

Thank you all for looking...

Robert.

vincechu

Hi Robert - no need to apologise :) and thanks for the tips - I'm currently saving up for the 20mm/1.7 as I've heard many good things abt the lense, but I haven't yet had the chance to try one out in a store. Currently my only worry is that it doesn't have image stabilisation, do this affects you much when taking photos?

PeterB666

Currently my only worry is that it doesn't have image stabilisation, do this affects you much when taking photos?
I use the 20mm f/1.7 on an Olympus E-P1 and have used it with and without image stabilisation. Image stabilisation only makes a stop or two difference with this lens. I am not sure why. Probably because it is a little wide of a standard focal lenght. Use the extra speed of the lens unless depth of field is an issue, or up the ISO a little.

lmr

All these were hand held @1.7. Speed? I did not check, no more than 125. Of course this is indoor, but I was standing upright, harder to take pictures standing straight up w/o swaying. Manage to get 9 out of 10 shot. One did not focus where I wanted and not motion blur.

With the extra speed & the ability to up the ISO, one should not have much issues unless you are have to be in an unusual stance or the wind is blowing.

Robert.

vincechu

Thanks Peter and Robert, I'm going to go try one out as soon as I can, hopefully before Christmas :)

oh btw Merry Christmas =)

K

klythawk

Thanks Peter and Robert, I'm going to go try one out as soon as I can, hopefully before Christmas :)

oh btw Merry Christmas =)
Going to demo the GF-1/20mm tomorrow in the local J. Lewis, just hoping the battery is charged.

After checking prices Vince, i have come to the conclusion the best bet is to buy the lens with the GF-1 body. If i like the feel of it, i will order one from here before the VAT increase Jan 1st ;)

vincechu

klythawk I'm thinkin of getting a GF-1 + the 20mm IN WHITE! (just looks so stunning!) from Hong Kong as I have a frd there who will bring it over in the new year - has english menus unlike the Jap version and an international warranty =D Seen it on ebay on ebay its £669.99 shipped.

Robert - sorry I didnt mean to turn this into a thread chatting abt cameras, I have some decoration photos which need some touchin up in silkypix - hopefully they'll be on tomorrow =)

PeterB666

I almost went down the path of buying the 20mm with the GF-1 body in Australia. I had been waiting for a pre-order from the US to come up but no one except Amazon was shipping and they won't ship outside the US.

The US is by far the cheapest source for this lens if you can get one.

I wound up getting one from Japan for USD469.50 including postage. A little bit more now, but still works out around ₤268 for the listings I have seen.

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 from Japan

PeterB666

My Christmas decorations inspired by this thread - Olympus E-P1 with Panasonic 20mm f/1.4

P.S. Sorry if I have posted these previously somewhere else.

K

klythawk

Like to join in and show my first ever uploaded pics. Got the GF1/20mm yesterday and had a play. A complete newby to photography, so all advice to put me right is very wecome. Think they would have been better with IS, need to learn how to hold the camera steady.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

lmr

Vince: No Need to apologize... Just post & enjoy... We are all here to learn & have fun...

Some grate shots, bokeh & discussion here... :)

Robert.