The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro four/thirds bargains

cmcmillan

Aden Camera in Toronto has the GF1 & 20mm kit on sale for $999.99CDN.

I was wanting to pick one up before the holidays elsewhere (Henry's/Vistek) but they were all sold out by the time I was able to purchase one just after boxing day. I ended up getting mine from Aden earlier this week.

Now I just have to wait for my Nikon adapter to arrive in the mail. For now, I've just been playing with the 20mm and my c mount adapter.

I would really like to see or find some good deals on the 14-45mm and 45-200mm lenses. I know that I am eagerly awaiting the newly announced Olympus 7-14mm lens in the spring. It is supposed to be $600 or so.

vincechu

Paid $769USD for the Panasonic 14-140mm shipped, from Monza (Robert) on these forums, lens brand new from a GH-1 Kit, can't wait for it to arrive.

$769 might sound really expensive, but it converts to £480 GBP (I'm in the UK, and we pay around £649GBP-£700GBP for them new - Can't wait for it to arrive :D

If you're looking for a good deal talk to him and he'll see what he can do for you - he's really helpful and patient. btw i believe he's from Precision Camera - an official Panasonic stockist, so rest assured that you'll get the real deal.

vincechu

The GH1 + 14-140 prices at the big NYC vendors have recently slipped to the $1250 (adorama) to $1299 (J&R, B&H) range.

Sigh-- here I went with the cheapest possible option (G1) because I wasn't sure that I would like the m4/3 -- of course, I love the darn thing and after having taken some videos with my kids TS1 on a recent trip am now pining for a GH1.

Just endless.

JT
Hi JCT, heard rumours that the GH-1 is being made available body only, if it's true it might save you money as it seems the 14-140mm plays a big part in the massive cost of the GH-1 kit. But then you'd have to consider if it's worth not having the 14-140mm lens, as it's made with a silent motor specifically for videos and I guess the zoom on it is convenient.

I also went for the cheapeast option - the G1 and I'm regretting, I wish I bought the GH1 from the start as I could have afforded it back then... but now I'll have to make due with the 14-140mm lens + G1 for now now.

Time for me to save up for the GH-1 Body :cool:

vincechu

On the E-P1 side of things:

1. I've found a listing on Ebay from a business seller:

New E-P1 + 14-42mm + 17mm + VF-1 with Olympus warranty:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290384581872&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

Price is £669.99 GBP - For what you're getting I think its a good price - in the UK you pay around £580GBP for a E-P1 with only the 14-42, so adding £90GBP to get the 17mm + VF-1 seems a good buy. As it'll probably set you back £300GBP+ for the 17mm and VF-1 seperately.

2. I heard Olympus are giving away free flashes (FL-14) with purchases of the E-P1, but this might be Europe only, and I think this offer ends mid/late Jan, might be worth googling it.

J

jglover

I saw a refurbished E-P1 14-42 kit from BH for $599.99 a week or two ago. Not a steal, but pretty close.
I bought it. It was a toss up between the refurbished kit with a 90 day warranty or a used E-P1/14-42 kit for $570. It was in excellent shape and is now my commuting camera.....fits great in my Domke Reporter Satchel and is about half the wieght of my Pentax DSLR I used to carry.

Roel

I would really like to see or find some good deals on the 14-45mm and 45-200mm lenses. I know that I am eagerly awaiting the newly announced Olympus 7-14mm lens in the spring. It is supposed to be $600 or so.
I think you are referring to the Oly 9-18mm lens for m4/3 that should be (hopefully) released in late 1Q 2010:

http://43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-9-18mm-lens-to-be-announced-in-february-march-and-it-will-cost-600/

I am curious to see how it stacks up against the $1100 Panny 7-14mm. Having said that, I love the Panny 7-14mm (can't get over how small it is, especially compared to my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8) and it has earned a permanent place in my travel bag...

K

klythawk

Paid $769USD for the Panasonic 14-140mm shipped, from Monza (Robert) on these forums, lens brand new from a GH-1 Kit, can't wait for it to arrive.

$769 might sound really expensive, but it converts to £480 GBP (I'm in the UK, and we pay around £649GBP-£700GBP for them new - Can't wait for it to arrive :D

If you're looking for a good deal talk to him and he'll see what he can do for you - he's really helpful and patient. btw i believe he's from Precision Camera - an official Panasonic stockist, so rest assured that you'll get the real deal.
Thanks for the heads up Vince, thats a terrific saving on rip off UK prices. Hope your lens arrives quickly and safely. :thumbs:

cmcmillan

Roel,

Yes, I did mean that lens. I had originally read the announcement when it first came out. I kind of got mixed up about what the exact focal length was going to be while writing my original message.

I am also on the fence about buying myself a 14-24mm Nikon for my FX Nikon kit. It seems like such a wonderful lens sharpness and image quality wise, it's just hard to get over that price and have it be a G lens and not being able to easily use filters on it. I really like to be able to use any of my FX lenses on film bodies and motion picture cameras since I have access to some 35mm motion picture cameras at my work and shoot the odd thing with them.

Also, I have AF & MF Primes in Nikon mount already that cover the focal length of the 14-24, and most of them are f2.8 already. :) 20mm f2.8 AF, 24mm f2.8 AF, 38mm Nikon f2.8 AF, 14mm Sigma f2.8 AF, 15mm f3.5 Nikon MF, 18mm Nikon f4.0 MF, 20mm f3.5 Nikon MF, and I think some older slower 24 & 28mm Nikon MF lenses too.

I am amazed at the overall size of the Panasonic 7-14mm. I saw some shots here showing it next to a 14-45mm and it wasn't that much bigger, even with the lens cover on the 7-14mm. Certainly something that I'll probably pickup if I see a good deal before the Olympus 9-18mm comes out.

Chris

I think you are referring to the Oly 9-18mm lens for m4/3 that should be (hopefully) released in late 1Q 2010:

http://43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-9-18mm-lens-to-be-announced-in-february-march-and-it-will-cost-600/

I am curious to see how it stacks up against the $1100 Panny 7-14mm. Having said that, I love the Panny 7-14mm (can't get over how small it is, especially compared to my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8) and it has earned a permanent place in my travel bag...

vincechu

EP2 with 17mm + EVF for $1099USD - seems to be cheaper than the going rate of $1299USD

*USA version but has international warranty!*

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Olympus-E...wItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item27addbfae7

Approximately 760 euros or £680GBP for those in the UK. Shippings not included and it might be worth asking about their customs declaration policy.

For those in the UK i think its a good price because we pay £650GBP for the EP1 with the 17mm and the optical viewfinder, not to mention the E-P2 isnt even out yet.

However for around £700GBP in the UK you can get the EP1 + optical VF + 17mm and the 14-42mm.

K

klythawk

UK. New Panasonic Lumix GF1 body only £349...... see here :thumbup:

Thats approx £100 cheaper than the competition.

D

duckrider

not really a bargain, but the price for the Panasonic 7-14mm decreasing:
I was looking for that lens in Germany since some months:
From 1200.- Euros to about 1030.- Euros.

Hey You in the UK & US: don't laugh out loud, prices in Germany for Photequipment are much higher than in Your countries:angry::angry::angry:

good light
Thomas

PeterB666

Hey everyone bid quick, a Panasonic 14-140mm Lens, used but mint on ebay, at time of writing the price is £195GBP ($315USD), ask for international shipping costs and has 2days 20hrs left, I don't think they'll be too many more bidders because the seller hasn't named the lens "14-140mm" in listing title, so it wont come up on searches on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Lei...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item3a56fdd77e
The price will easily double within the last couple of minutes. There have already been 7 bids on it from 4 different bidders.

vincechu

Peter: I guess you're right, i didn't think to look at the bidding history :p

GH1 Body Only - In Gold but Japanese menus, The price is listed at $550AUD which is $490USD or £305.10GBP. I think its a bargain because in the UK you pay £600-£650 for a GH1 body only - HALF PRICE!? lol But as long as you can put up with the Japanese menus - go online and download the GH1 manual in your language?):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PANASONIC...emQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item35a6b544fd

Personally i don't like the gold lol ;)

lattiboy

Hi all,

Shogun Camera has the new Kipon Contax G to M43 adapter for $118 USD right now. This is the "geared" adapter that should make focusing much more pleasant.

Also, Contax G glass is still crazy cheap if you check local camera stores or even KEH.

I was able to pickup a 90mm f/2.8 from KEH for $90 in LN condition. I also got a ridiculous deal on the 45/2, but that looks to be running around $200-300 on evilbay.

Anyway, here's the link to the adapter:

http://www.shoguncamera.com/products_detail.php?pid=129,181&id=2275

lattiboy

Peter: I guess you're right, i didn't think to look at the bidding history :p

GH1 Body Only - In Gold but Japanese menus, The price is listed at $550AUD which is $490USD or £305.10GBP. I think its a bargain because in the UK you pay £600-£650 for a GH1 body only - HALF PRICE!? lol But as long as you can put up with the Japanese menus - go online and download the GH1 manual in your language?):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PANASONIC...emQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item35a6b544fd

Personally i don't like the gold lol ;)
Wow, I'm tempted! I would think you could simply use screenshots of the US menus. It's not like you're constantly changing a lot of stuff. SOMEBODY needs to figure out an unlock for the menu system That would rule.

photoSmart42

Wow, I'm tempted! I would think you could simply use screenshots of the US menus. It's not like you're constantly changing a lot of stuff. SOMEBODY needs to figure out an unlock for the menu system That would rule.
Not only that, but most of the menu items are pictographs, numbers, and symbols anyway, which are universal. So there's really only a few settings that you need to set initially with a translation card, then you're set. There are a few forums with links to translated GH1 menus. I toyed around with getting a Japanese version GH1 until I got a great deal on a used one.