The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 - and merry Christmas

E

ellemand

Hello all of you.

I've written a christmas-card to you. You can se it here:

I got the GF-1 and the 20 mm a few weeks ago. Oh boy - I love that camera and that lens - what a combo.
Here a few more from that beautyful baby:

I wish all of you a merry Christmas and a happy New-year.

Ellemand

clay stewart

Great shots Ellemand. Did you do the conversions yourself, or are these in camera conversions? I was curious about how good the in camera B and W mode was.

W

wbrandsma

Wonderful photographs Ellemand and I agree with you that is a beautiful combo. I tried one yesterday in combination with a Voigtländer OVF and immediately had a lot of fun with it.

Merry Christmas too.

Terry

Ellemand,
I've always enjoyed your photography. I didn't realize you had gotten a GF1. It looks to be working for you quite nicely. Has it taken over as your chief camera?

Wouters,
I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the GF1/GXR etc. if you have a chance to try them all side by side or even over time.

Michiel Schierbeek

Some nice B&W streetphotography!
Ellemand, I really like the woman in front of the jewelery shop.
The 20 mm looks like a real sharp lens.

Michiel

vincechu

Happy Christmas to you too =)

I really like the black and white photos u've taken above - as a new photoprapher myself, you've shown me how black and white can kind of give more impact and feeling compared to colour - some of the shots above are kind of nostalgic (hope thats the right word) =)

E

ellemand

Thank you for the kind respons.
A'll try to answers as good as I can - I'm not good at writing in english.

Clay - it's b/w from the camera. I find the "dynamic" b/w very useful - I've set NR to -1 and contrast to -1. That gives very nice Jpeg's straight out of the camera - I like to keep thing simple, and that gives me very little PP in Photoshop.

Wouter - nice pictures - just my style;-)
I have the original EVF for the GF-1 - works pretty good.

TEB - long time, no see;-)
It is my chief camera (for now) - it's a very nice cam with the 20 mm'er.

Lisa and TEB - yes it's an urinal - taken at the railway-station in Copenhagen;-)

vincedhu - nostalgic i OK;-)

Best wishes
Ellemand

W

wbrandsma

Wouter,
I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the GF1/GXR etc. if you have a chance to try them all side by side or even over time.
Terry, unfortunately I have no chance now to try both cameras side by side. The GXR was passed on yesterday to another photographer. And since the A12 lens unit for the Ricoh GXR is a 50mm macro lens it is not completely fair to compare them. What we did notice yesterday is that the GF1 with the 20mm is a very fast and responsive camera. The AF is very quick and there is hardly any shutter lag. The GXR with the 50 lens isn't really usable for street photography in my opinion. I didn't find zone focusing very reliable and there the LCD or EVF freezes up when half pressing the shutter button (not really sure if this can be fixed with a firmware update). The lens however renders beautifully. And I was very impressed with the quality of the LCD screen and the EVF of the GXR. Even in the dark the EVF performed really well without the noise you can see with the EVF's of the G1 and the GH1. A full report about the GXR is here.

But I certainly don't want to steal this thread with the Panasonic GF1. This camera is certainly on my wish list and I think Ellemand picked up an outstanding camera.

pellicle

Hi

Ellemand,
Wouters,
since you are interested in the GXR I'll send you a snip of conversation with a friend of mine who has tried the GXR in Japan

FWIW, I've played with the new Ricoh GXR (with the 50/2.5 equiv. unit) at a shop. The rendering of live view on the rear LCD is preceptively slower than G1. Yes, I compared it with my G1 side by side. When I half-press the shutter button to aoto-focus, the live view "freezes" until the focusing is completed and then the view is "switched" back to the live view (focused image). I think it is a very strange behaviour, and the poor GRX has already dropped from the list of my interest.