The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 110 20-40 zoom?

laptoprob

Has anyone used this lens on a m4/3 camera? It's relatively small, relatively fast at 2,8 and I might be able to get one.
Wondering about performance mainly. Should I stick to the very small prime mini-SLR lenses or is this zoom a true gem?

RichA

Has anyone used this lens on a m4/3 camera? It's relatively small, relatively fast at 2,8 and I might be able to get one.
Wondering about performance mainly. Should I stick to the very small prime mini-SLR lenses or is this zoom a true gem?
The Pentax 110 lenses are very compact, but they aren't that great compared to most brands of standard SLR and rangefinder lenses, especially since you can't stop them down. Only use them if portability is high on your list.

snowy

Given that they're designed for 110 film the Pentax lenses have very high MTF. I've got the full set of lenses if anyone's looking to buy one... ;)

V

Vivek

Rob, Only one FL length, IMO, is useful from that set. The 18mm.

The 24 is too tiny. The 50 is too big.

The zoom likewise plus it is a zoom.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is a simple image taken with this lens (20mm, I think), ISO 100 and 1/40s hand held - f2.8

It has quite a narrow depth of field at this aperture.

A few posters on this site have found good ways to stop these lenses down.

Keith

laptoprob

Thanks guys. Keith, are the corners just out of focus or are they always messy, a bit smeared?
The zoom looks interesting because it is relatively fast for it's size. I have an option of getting a complete set, that's why I am asking. On the other hand, all focal lengths are covered by now. It's just that GAS devil!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys. Keith, are the corners just out of focus or are they always messy, a bit smeared?
The zoom looks interesting because it is relatively fast for it's size. I have an option of getting a complete set, that's why I am asking. On the other hand, all focal lengths are covered by now. It's just that GAS devil!
Laptoprob:

I think the corners are out of focus. The focal point is somewhere in the middle of the grass. I have lenses that smear in the corners and the look is different to this.

Keith

RichA

Given that they're designed for 110 film the Pentax lenses have very high MTF. I've got the full set of lenses if anyone's looking to buy one... ;)
Not great MTF, wide open anyway. The only lenses I know designed for the same size format that are good lenses are the Olympus Pen lenses. Of course they cost about 10x as much as the Pentax lenses on Ebay.

J

jamesbell4

I just got one, but its physically bigger than all the other 110 lenses (including the 70mm) and heavier (188g) - so with an adapter its only about 10% lighter than the G1 Panasonic 14-45 kit zoom.

It is very soft at the wide end, even in the centre of the frame - its a bit surreal (unless i have a bad one). It improves when stopped down a bit (i use a disc with a punched hole inserted in the back of the adaptor) .

I'll try taking it out a few more times but I can't really see myself choosing it over a prime or the kit zoom. Its a bit disappointing as for me it was the most expensive lens in the pentax set.

RichA

The truth about legacy lenses is, most of them do not match the new lenses for across the field image quality until you stop them down. But, for portability and light weight, nothing matches the Pentax 110 lenses.

V

Vivek

Recently, I took a look at the 18/2.8, again. Once the focus ring screws are unscrewed, the lens optic block comes out. It is a clean two part unit and a washer can be installed in between the the two units (it is a also a symmetric design 3 groups + 3groups). So, now, I have an 18 /~5.6 lens that can focus. Various washers with different holes can be used (Nothing improves the lens) for different apertures. FWIW, shiny steel washers can be used without worries. In this area, in a lens, they do not do any harm.

On the m4/3rds, it is OK. On an APS-C sensor (NEX-7), the corners are simply without any detail. It is not just field curvature. There simply isn't any detail being projected.

The 24/2.8, to start with, projects even a smaller circle.

The 50mm f/2.8 isn't too big (just a 37.5mm filter?) compared to other system lenses but relative to the 24/18/18, it is.

pellicle

Recently, I took a look at the 18/2.8, again. ... So, now, I have an 18 /~5.6 lens that can focus. Various washers with different holes can be used (Nothing improves the lens) for different apertures. FWIW, shiny steel washers can be used without worries. In this area, in a lens, they do not do any harm.
interesting ... may give it a go

paparazzi666

Aww, just go and buy it, you get a whole bag of lenses to play with. The 18mm is so great. The 24mm is so dinky cute. The 50mm is smaller than other 50mm. All can focus really close. f2.8 is a useful only aperture. It's fast enough and on m43 has practical dof. The 20-40 zoom I have also used. Its not as sharp as the primes, and the primes are reasonably sharp.

Here is one shot with the 18mm
Flickr: Please wait...
I sold my 17mm f2.8 and used the dinky pentax instead. The best thing is that the coverage on m43 is perfect cause 110 format is almost exactly m43. Interesting eh.

With the 20-40 you get something like the 40-80 of the old days which used to be about the first zoom range introduced back then and it will be fun. I just prefer primes for the extra bite.