The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Daypack/Backpack for m-4/3 +++ ?

JBurnett

I used to have a LowePro Rover II for my Canon DSLR equipment on full-day hikes. While the upper part was big enough for what I needed (rain jacket & pants or sweater, extra socks, lunch, snacks, water), the lower part was too big for my micro-4/3 gear (at most, the G1, 20, 45, 14-45 and 45-200). Is there something that is better suited? I still need a reasonable upper bag, but not so much camera gear.

Anyone try the Lowepro Primus Minimus? Others?

PeterB666

You might have a look at the Kata DR series. I have the Kata DR 465, the smallest of the lot. The bottom part is certainly big enough for your needs, but I would suggest you look at the other two which don't cost much more as the top would be too small for your needs.

Rich M

I'll second for the Kata. I have the DR-467......bottom compartment holds my GF1/GH1 plus three lenses. Top will hold my rain shell plus rain pants and a snack. I clip on my water bottle.

Comfortable straps. Built like a company that used to make body armor should be.

It's also my airplane carry on with a nicely padded laptop sleeve.

If I'm not using this, I am using the Slingshot 100.

PeterB666

With the two larger Kata DR bags that have the laptop compartment, you can use that bit to store a couple of shirts or a pair of jeans when not carrying a laptop.

JBurnett

Hmmm. Lots of options. I like the look of the Kata bags. I wish they stated the dimensions of the upper part for storage. I hadn't been thinking about a laptop, but I suppose that rain pants or a jacket would fit there (nicely folded).

Mike, I'm glad the Minimus worked out for you in Patagonia. One of the reasons I'm thinking about that bag is that I can get one brand new for about $125 Cdn. right now.

I think I'll have to track some of these down locally. For the bags I can see dimensions for the upper storage part:

Rover II: 665 cu. in. (worked for me before)
Pimus AW: 877 cu. in. (larger upper. overall bag about the same)
Primus Minimus: 580 cu. in. (close, smaller bag overall)
Orion AW: 914 cu. in. (larger upper, slightly larger bag)
Tamrac Aero 70: 380 cu. in. (too small, AW?)
Tamrac Aero 75: 507 cu. in. (might be too small, AW?)
Tamrac Adventure 7: 486 cu. in. (probably too small, AW?)

Rich M

Hmmm. Lots of options. I like the look of the Kata bags. I wish they stated the dimensions of the upper part for storage.
John -

I just measured the ID of the upper compartment of the Kata DR-467:

12"W x 5"D x 11"H =~ 600 cu. in..........trying to take into account the curve of the top of the backpack. This does not count the laptop sleeve.

Hope this assists.....

R

JBurnett

John -

I just measured the ID of the upper compartment of the Kata DR-467:

12"W x 5"D x 11"H =~ 600 cu. in..........trying to take into account the curve of the top of the backpack. This does not count the laptop sleeve.

Hope this assists.....

R
It DOES, Rich. Thanks very much. I can probably find the LowePro bags locally to look at them in person, but it seems that only certain Kata bags get brought in by the shops. A lot of models aren't available for a look-see.

bensonga

bensonga

The Aero 70 I ordered arrived today. Anticipating it's arrival, I brought my Panny G1 kit into the office with me today. I was able to comfortably fit the G1 with a Nikkor 35mm f2 (and Voigtlander adapter) attached, a Nikkor 28mm f2.8, the Panny 14-45mm kit lens (with hood), the Panny 20mm f1.7 lens and a couple of Nikon lens hoods into the lower camera comparment (with a little room to spare). I could have a longer lens mounted on the G1 (I have my Nikkor 135mm and 200mm lenses in mind) if I wanted as well. This little backpack is noticeably smaller than the Aero 80 (which will also hold a 17in laptop computer)....and I think, perfectly sized for a complete G1 kit with room in the top compartment for misc stuff (including extra lenses in lens pouches/cases, flash etc if so desired).

As usual with other Tamrac cases I own....it's very well made.

Gary

Last edited:

slau

I used to have a LowePro Rover II for my Canon DSLR equipment on full-day hikes. While the upper part was big enough for what I needed (rain jacket & pants or sweater, extra socks, lunch, snacks, water), the lower part was too big for my micro-4/3 gear (at most, the G1, 20, 45, 14-45 and 45-200). Is there something that is better suited? I still need a reasonable upper bag, but not so much camera gear.

Anyone try the Lowepro Primus Minimus? Others?
I am still using a 15+ year old Lowepro Orion Trekker and I found it is just about perfect for my M4/3 system (2 bodies + 4 lenses) and still have enough room in the upper compartment for a vest, accessories and carry my water bottle on the outside.

I think I have posted these images before but here they are again:
http://www.pbase.com/stephenl/image/119542034

http://www.pbase.com/stephenl/image/119542035

JBurnett

I am still using a 15+ year old Lowepro Orion Trekker and I found it is just about perfect for my M4/3 system (2 bodies + 4 lenses) and still have enough room in the upper compartment for a vest, accessories and carry my water bottle on the outside.
Thanks, Stephen. The Orion Trekker seems to have become the Orion AW, and it's actually a bit bigger than the Rover AWII that I used to have. Nice to know yours has lasted so long.